Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with Modelsim Lisence server... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t21537-problem-with-modelsim-lisence-server.html)

Debashish 08-14-2003 01:41 PM

Problem with Modelsim Lisence server...

Hi guys,
Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2
lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont
close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command
quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of
the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server
we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill
those process and regain the 2 lisences.

Is there any way or any script that can help me to do this without
restarting the lisence server. I know its easier to handle in Linux or
Unix severs, by just killing the process. But how will i do the same
without restarting the windows 2000 server. Is there any java or any
other script for that.

Regards..
Debashish Hota

Mike Treseler 08-15-2003 04:12 PM

Re: Problem with Modelsim Lisence server...

Debashish wrote:

> Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2
> lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont
> close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command
> quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of
> the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server
> we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill
> those process and regain the 2 lisences.

1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses,
and train them to close the gui.

2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c.
vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up
the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole
session, even if you are just editing and compiling.

Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license
during a sim and then relinquishes it.

-- Mike Treseler

Debashish 08-18-2003 06:49 AM

Mike Treseler <mike.treseler@flukenetworks.com> wrote in message news:<3F3D0668.3080103@flukenetworks.com>...
> Debashish wrote:
>
> > Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2
> > lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont
> > close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command
> > quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of
> > the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server
> > we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill
> > those process and regain the 2 lisences.

> 1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses,
> and train them to close the gui.
>
> 2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c.
> vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up
> the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole
> session, even if you are just editing and compiling.
>
> Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license
> during a sim and then relinquishes it.
>

> -- Mike Treseler

Thank you Mike i have downloaded the FLEXLM enduser guide.This solved
all my problems.I am using lmstat -a and lmremove

Prasanna 08-19-2003 12:35 AM

deb_astro@yahoo.co.in (Debashish) wrote in message news:<fe977b7a.0308172249.673167c6@posting.google. com>...
> Mike Treseler <mike.treseler@flukenetworks.com> wrote in message news:<3F3D0668.3080103@flukenetworks.com>...
> > Debashish wrote:
> >
> > > Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2
> > > lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont
> > > close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command
> > > quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of
> > > the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server
> > > we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill
> > > those process and regain the 2 lisences.

> > 1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses,
> > and train them to close the gui.
> >
> > 2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c.
> > vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up
> > the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole
> > session, even if you are just editing and compiling.
> >
> > Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license
> > during a sim and then relinquishes it.
> >

> > -- Mike Treseler

> Thank you Mike i have downloaded the FLEXLM enduser guide.This solved
> all my problems.I am using lmstat -a and lmremove

Hi,

Use "lmremove" command with the license admin privileges. To recognize
that the process is dead, there are unix ways and I am not aware of
windows ways.

I suggest wrap your modelsim command with a shell script that takes
care of these issues.

Regards,

- Prasanna