Velocity Reviews

-   -   VHDL Prettifier for Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t21524-vhdl-prettifier-for-windows.html)

Matt 08-12-2003 09:32 PM

VHDL Prettifier for Windows

Anyone know of a VHDL code prettifier for windows? The best thing I have
seen so far is the extension for emacs, which works, but adds spaces rather
than tabs, making the code a pain to edit afterward.

~ Matt

Martin Thompson 08-13-2003 08:32 AM

Re: VHDL Prettifier for Windows

"Matt" <aq581@tcnet.org> writes:

> Anyone know of a VHDL code prettifier for windows? The best thing I have
> seen so far is the extension for emacs, which works, but adds spaces rather
> than tabs, making the code a pain to edit afterward.

Not if you edit it in Emacs :-) It then treats them as tabs while
editing...

Cheers,
Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK

Colin Marquardt 08-13-2003 12:33 PM

Martin Thompson <martin.j.thompson@trw.com> writes:

> "Matt" <aq581@tcnet.org> writes:
>
>> Anyone know of a VHDL code prettifier for windows? The best thing I have
>> seen so far is the extension for emacs, which works, but adds spaces rather
>> than tabs, making the code a pain to edit afterward.

> Not if you edit it in Emacs :-) It then treats them as tabs while
> editing...

You can also set 'Vhdl Indent Tabs Mode' to 'on' (VHDL | Options |
Mode), or you could call M-x tabify by hand before saving the file.

HTH,
Colin

Matt 08-14-2003 04:47 AM

Re: VHDL Prettifier for Windows

I don't see such a menu option in what I am using, and I think I exhausted
the menus searching through them. I tried the tabify command but emacs only
indents 2 spaces, so they don't turn to tabs. Maybe I'll do some more
messing with that later.

I did download version 21.3 which I believe is the newest as of right now.
I like the side panel showing all the .vhd files. Now if only it'd put them
in heirarchical format I'd just use emacs as my editor rather than Webpack
from Xilinx.

~ Matt

fred 08-14-2003 04:18 PM

Re: VHDL Prettifier for Windows

In article <bhbo43$mg4$1@msunews.cl.msu.edu>, Matt
<aq581@tcnet.org> writes
>Anyone know of a VHDL code prettifier for windows? The best thing I have
>seen so far is the extension for emacs, which works, but adds spaces rather
>than tabs, making the code a pain to edit afterward.
>
>~ Matt

If you are not a fan of emacs, you may want to give Ultraedit a trial
download. It supports the pretties you want & it's what I use for all my vhdl
editing. You need to download a "wordfile" for vhdl or vhdl93 which it will
use for syntax highlighting. Probably less powerful than emacs in terms of
text completions, but still my fave.

Oh, but it is $35 . . .

HTH
--