Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is there such a thing as a program that can tell me what kind of file a file is? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t215226-is-there-such-a-thing-as-a-program-that-can-tell-me-what-kind-of-file-a-file-is.html)

Happy@Camper.Com 01-03-2005 12:34 AM

Is there such a thing as a program that can tell me what kind of file a file is?

Dan DiNicolo 01-03-2005 12:42 AM

Re: Is there such a thing as a program that can tell me what kind of file a file is?

"Happy@Camper.Com" <Happy_Camper.Com> wrote in message

You can search for file types by their extensions here:

http://www.filext.com/

--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

yong321@yahoo.com 01-03-2005 03:05 PM

Re: Is there such a thing as a program that can tell me what kind of file a file is?

In case the filename extention is completely unknown or it's named
wrong (a PDF document is somehow renamed to myfile.pdg, e.g.), then you
can ftp the file to a UNIX/Linux box (preferably in binary mode) and
type

file thatfile

to identify it. If it says "data", then the file is not recognized.
Make sure the UNIX box is not too old, or /etc/magic would be outdated.
Yong Huang

MJP 01-03-2005 04:50 PM

Re: Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is wrong?

Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is
wrong?

Quickview can sus most files.

MJP

MJP 01-03-2005 04:54 PM

Re: Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is wrong?

> Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is
> wrong?
>

> Quickview can sus most files.

Make that quickview plus