Velocity Reviews

-   -   Transfering files from 98SE pc to XP pc? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t214972-transfering-files-from-98se-pc-to-xp-pc.html)

newman 12-30-2004 03:58 PM

Transfering files from 98SE pc to XP pc?

I have purchased a new pc and wish to transfer a lot of small files.

Can I do this with a USB to USB cable or will I need a USB pen drive?

Regards

Saba 12-30-2004 04:01 PM

Re: Transfering files from 98SE pc to XP pc?

"newman" <aa111@despammed.com> schreef in bericht
|I have purchased a new pc and wish to transfer a lot of small files.
|
| Can I do this with a USB to USB cable or will I need a USB pen drive?

usb pen drive or a cross cable on your network ports..
USB pen is easier..

Dan DiNicolo 12-30-2004 04:02 PM

Re: Transfering files from 98SE pc to XP pc?

You could go either way. However, a "regular" USB cable won't do the job,
you need a null modem USB cable (or a regular null modem cable for that
matter) to do the transfer. If you're looking at it as in one or the other,
the USB pen drive will come in much more handy in the long term.

http://www.lpt.com/HowToChoose/howtochoose.htm

Dan
--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

Saba 12-30-2004 04:04 PM

Re: Transfering files from 98SE pc to XP pc?

"newman" <aa111@despammed.com> schreef in bericht
|I have purchased a new pc and wish to transfer a lot of small files.
|
| Can I do this with a USB to USB cable or will I need a USB pen drive?

you can also place the W98 hard disk as a slave in your XP PC, then you can
copy directly from disk to disk

Ron Martell 12-30-2004 06:21 PM

Re: Transfering files from 98SE pc to XP pc?

newman <aa111@despammed.com> wrote:

>I have purchased a new pc and wish to transfer a lot of small files.
>
>Can I do this with a USB to USB cable or will I need a USB pen drive?
>
>Regards

Regardless of which physical method you use to move the data between
the two PCs you should consider using the "Files and Settings Transfer
Wizard" that comes with Windows XP to collect the data from the
Windows 98 PC and then to put it into place on the new machine.

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard by Gary Woodruff:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--