Velocity Reviews

-   -   ialmrnt5 display driver error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t214563-ialmrnt5-display-driver-error.html)

puffy 12-23-2004 07:55 AM

ialmrnt5 display driver error

hello, I bought a dell dimension 3000 the other day with integrated
video graphics.

The system came with 256ddr ram at 400 rating and I put in another 256
ddr ram rated 266.

Anyway the system is quite bare in terms of software.

I have installed protowall, block list manager and that's it.

For some reason once in a while I get a 'serious' error where it says
the ialmrnt5 display drivers have stopped working and I need to
restart. After this occurs it asks me to restart and becomes 256
colour.

Once I restart the system is fine again.

Any ideas as to WHY this occurs?

Thanks in advance

ps: would buying a vid card solve this problem (last resort). It
doese not have agp, just pci.

Timberwolf 12-23-2004 10:07 AM

Re: ialmrnt5 display driver error

"puffy" <none@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hello, I bought a dell dimension 3000 the other day with integrated
> video graphics.
>

> The system came with 256ddr ram at 400 rating and I put in another 256
> ddr ram rated 266.
>
> Anyway the system is quite bare in terms of software.
>
> I have installed protowall, block list manager and that's it.
>
> For some reason once in a while I get a 'serious' error where it says
> the ialmrnt5 display drivers have stopped working and I need to
> restart. After this occurs it asks me to restart and becomes 256
> colour.
>
> Once I restart the system is fine again.
>
> Any ideas as to WHY this occurs?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> ps: would buying a vid card solve this problem (last resort). It
> doese not have agp, just pci.

try replacing the dll
http://www.dynamiclink.nl/htmfiles/r.../info_i/62.htm

Toolman Tim 12-23-2004 05:47 PM

Re: ialmrnt5 display driver error

"puffy" <none@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| hello, I bought a dell dimension 3000 the other day with integrated
| video graphics.
|

| The system came with 256ddr ram at 400 rating and I put in another 256
| ddr ram rated 266.
|
| Anyway the system is quite bare in terms of software.
|
| I have installed protowall, block list manager and that's it.
|
| For some reason once in a while I get a 'serious' error where it says
| the ialmrnt5 display drivers have stopped working and I need to
| restart. After this occurs it asks me to restart and becomes 256
| colour.
|
| Once I restart the system is fine again.
|
| Any ideas as to WHY this occurs?
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| ps: would buying a vid card solve this problem (last resort). It
| doese not have agp, just pci.

Go to the Dell web site, http://support.dell.com and set up an account.
Login, then using the service ID tag on your computer case, go to their
downloads page for your system and get the video drivers for your onboard
video, and re-install them. Stay with Dell's drivers - not the ones from
Windows Update or other sources.

puffy 12-23-2004 06:23 PM

Re: ialmrnt5 display driver error

Thanks, I actually went into the intel.com website and grabbed new
drivers from there (haven't tested it out yet).

My friend suggested the Ram may be faulty (being integrated graphics)

could this be a possibilty? but if the ram were fault wouldn't the
computer not boot up anyway?

Toolman Tim 12-23-2004 06:59 PM

| Thanks, I actually went into the intel.com website and grabbed new
| drivers from there (haven't tested it out yet).
|

| My friend suggested the Ram may be faulty (being integrated graphics)
|
| could this be a possibilty? but if the ram were fault wouldn't the
| computer not boot up anyway?

The computer does a minor memory test when booting, but it's basically
superfluous and ineffective. The computer would still boot. But it's not
likely that the memory is bad. It's much more likely that one of the driver
files was damaged, replaced, etc. I have two Dell 3000 with the onboard
video at work, but I honestly don't remember if they share the main RAM or
if they have their own video memory.

I don't recommend Intel's drivers in this case - Dell has custom drivers
written for these machines. You should probably stay with those from Dell's
web site.

Toolman Tim 12-23-2004 07:00 PM

Re: ialmrnt5 display driver error

"puffy" <none@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| hello, I bought a dell dimension 3000 the other day with integrated
| video graphics.
|

| The system came with 256ddr ram at 400 rating and I put in another 256
| ddr ram rated 266.

Is that RAM speed fast enough for that system?

puffy 12-24-2004 03:48 AM

Re: ialmrnt5 display driver error

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:00:35 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
<no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:

>"puffy" <none@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:pauks014sr3fv54r7ti9i7rguqd5bt4qbn@4ax.com.. .
>| hello, I bought a dell dimension 3000 the other day with integrated
>| video graphics.
>|

>| The system came with 256ddr ram at 400 rating and I put in another 256
>| ddr ram rated 266.
>|
>Is that RAM speed fast enough for that system?

I have no idea if it is or not, I just put it in to make my system
512mb

i installed intels drivers (before i read your msgs) and everything
seems OK so far, so i guess ill leave it at that

it must have been faulty drivers then (weird) considering the system
is a week old!

thansk !!

Toolman Tim 12-24-2004 03:51 AM

| On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:00:35 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
| <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:
|

| >"puffy" <none@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >news:pauks014sr3fv54r7ti9i7rguqd5bt4qbn@4ax.com.. .
| >| hello, I bought a dell dimension 3000 the other day with integrated
| >| video graphics.
| >|
| >|
| >| The system came with 256ddr ram at 400 rating and I put in another 256
| >| ddr ram rated 266.
| >|
| >Is that RAM speed fast enough for that system?
| >

| I have no idea if it is or not, I just put it in to make my system
| 512mb
|

| i installed intels drivers (before i read your msgs) and everything
| seems OK so far, so i guess ill leave it at that
|

| it must have been faulty drivers then (weird) considering the system
| is a week old!
|
| thanks !!

You're welcome - good luck! And seriously - check with your computer docs
(or web site) on that memory speed. The computer will only run at the speed
of the slowest memory.