Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t214167-bios-is-not-acpi-compliant-stop-error.html)

T.B. 12-17-2004 04:26 AM

Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

i am getting a blue screen during boot up on a Dell Inspiron 2650 running
WIN XP Home. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Windows
Updates I performed. I can't get into Safe Mode, and LKC did not work
either. Still going to the blue screen with the error:

Stop: 0x000000A5 A problem has been detected...Bios is not ACPI
compliant... Please visit www.hardwareupdate.com...

The big problem is that I can't get the system to boot to CD either. I have
flashed the BIOS to A13 per Dell's support site and changed the boot
sequence to CDROM 1st but it won't boot into XP, thus I cannot do a repair
or access the recovery console etc.

What else can I do here? What are my options?

thanks in advance

TB

WTC 12-17-2004 04:38 AM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

Were you having problems before you flashed your BIOS. If not, why would you
do this. A general rule with the BIOS is, if you are not having problems DO
NOT flash the BIOS.

A bad BIOS flash could mean no more posting of the computer which means a
non-working motherboard.

--
William

T.B. 12-17-2004 04:44 AM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

yes i was having problems. the blue screen problem that I posted about. i
flashed the bios after the problem originally occurred. I didn't just flash
it out of the clear blue sky if that's what you were inferring.

TB

WTC 12-17-2004 05:23 AM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

In your BIOS is there any settings for ACPI? Did you look at Dells support
group site?

Here is a link for ACPI support

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...s&cs=19&k=ACPI

°Mike° 12-17-2004 05:28 AM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

<Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

"Stop 0x000000A5" Error When You Are Installing Windows XP

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:26:36 -0600, in
<10s4nsdnqtt8sc1@corp.supernews.com>
T.B. scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

T.B. 12-17-2004 12:17 PM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

i couldn't find any ACPI settings in the Bios. anyone know where they are
in A13?

i also searched Dell's Forums for possible solutions and found a couple of
things, but nothing that worked.

T.B. 12-17-2004 12:45 PM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

this link definitely pertains to my problem, but since I can't boot to CD it
is irrelevant. any other suggestions?

TB

°Mike° 12-17-2004 02:40 PM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

Did you try the advice to manually install the Standard HAL?

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 06:45:36 -0600, in
<10s5l4dji6e05e3@corp.supernews.com>
T.B. scrawled:

>this link definitely pertains to my problem, but since I can't boot to CD it
>is irrelevant. any other suggestions?
>
>TB
>
>"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> <Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>
>>
>> "Stop 0x000000A5" Error When You Are Installing Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q314830

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

T.B. 12-17-2004 07:07 PM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

i can't try that advice, because I can't boot into Setup from CD. Here are
those instructions:

1. Restart the computer to restart Setup.
When Setup starts again, press F7 (not F6) when you see the "Press F6
if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver" screen.

I'm assuming that they are referring to XP setup. Since I can't boot
to CD, I can't get to the Press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI
or RAID driver part.

Are there XP floppy boot disks that will get me there?

T.B. 12-17-2004 07:23 PM

Re: Bios is not ACPI Compliant Stop Error

well i answered my own question and am going to try d/l some XP Home boot
disks to try the F7 thing. IF that doesn't work, then what?

TB