Velocity Reviews

-   -   These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t213814-these-and-and-and-numbered-lists.html)

Mara 12-10-2004 03:30 PM

These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

Hello, all!

I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks very much for all your help!

Mara

PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
case here.

SgtMinor 12-10-2004 04:07 PM

Re: These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

Mara wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
> such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
> work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
> section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
> EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
> when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
> themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
> I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
> every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
> it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
> something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
>
> Thanks very much for all your help!
>
> Mara
>
> PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
> the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
> case here.

Are you using "section breaks" to separate the various sections? ( >
Insert > Break - in Word2000, at least)

Chris O 12-10-2004 04:42 PM

Re: These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

"Mara" <domfrancon@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1102692634.567193.253430@c13g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello, all!
>
> I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
> such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
> work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
> section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
> EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
> when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
> themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
> I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
> every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
> it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
> something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
>
> Thanks very much for all your help!
>
> Mara
>
> PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
> the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
> case here.

Don't know but you could try posting to the "microsoft.public.word.general"
newsgroup

Chris O.

George 12-11-2004 05:32 PM

Re: These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

Might be one of those 'apply to whole document' check boxes. Is it possible
to save the sections separately?

Noel Paton 12-12-2004 09:42 AM

Re: These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

I recently had similar problems (in Word 2K) -and found that the cause was
my own fault :(

The cause (at least in my case) is using the backspace to exit the
formatting.

The cure is to remove ALL formatting, then insert the new formats as
required - time-consuming, but effective.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Mara 12-13-2004 03:00 PM

Re: These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

Thank goodness I didn't have to resort to that!

I managed to solved my own problem (again... I really should give
myself more time to figure **** out). I simply took the sub-documents
and converted them into the master doc, and all the glitches went away.
Can I explain it? Not really. But it worked. :)

Mara

Noel Paton 12-13-2004 08:44 PM

Re: These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

WTG! - well done!