Velocity Reviews

-   -   Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t213720-clicking-on-desktop-icons-doesnt-work-thoughts-on-please.html)

Robert11 12-08-2004 09:07 PM

Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

Hi,

It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
concerned as it's a brand new PC.
Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
Running XP.

Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
on this, please:

I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
do nothing. Wouldn't open.

Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work either.

Re-booted, and all fine now.

What might have caused ?
Thoughts on.

Bob

Old Gringo 12-08-2004 09:14 PM

Re: Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please?

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
> concerned as it's a brand new PC.
> Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
> Running XP.
>
> Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
> on this, please:
>
> I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
> back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
> do nothing. Wouldn't open.
>
> Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work either.
>
> Re-booted, and all fine now.
>
> What might have caused ?
> Thoughts on.
>
> Bob

Get better accounted with your computer and operating system. The
answer is right there.

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere

Cubzilla 12-08-2004 09:46 PM

Re: Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

did someone have access to your PC, I have seen it where a screen shot of
the desktop is used as the wallpaper, all other icons are moved. rebooting
restores all

just might be

Robert11 12-09-2004 12:37 AM

Re: Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

Hi,

Gosh !

I'm getting on in years now, and am trying this high tech stuff out.

If you have any real ideas on this, would sure appreciate the help.

Actually, pretty proud that I can get any of it to work.

Sure don't understand your answer.

Bob
----------------

news:A8Ktd.41966$Al3.14789@newssvr30.news.prodigy. com...

Jerry G. 12-09-2004 02:08 AM

Re: Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

What operating system are you using? Windows 95 (obsolete), 98, and ME can
do this type of hangup. It has to do with the desktop management routine
hanging up, due mostly to some of the memory handling problems that these
operating systems have. In NT4 (obsolete), 2000, and any of the XP releases,
this type of problem is less apt to happen.

There is a lot of activity going on in the background of the computer while
it is either sitting idle, or doing some job tasks. In the older operating
systems, there were also some problems with the screen savers, and power
management applications, that can sometimes cause the fault you were
describing. This fault that you saw is only one of the many.

--

Jerry G.
======

Old Gringo 12-09-2004 02:16 AM

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gosh !

Hi Robert; Windows XP is quite a sophisticated OS and has it's share
of flaws. There are a couple of versions of it. Also there are
updates that have solved some of the problems. Becoming familiar
with the OS will help solve some of your problems. Make sure it is
up to date with the latest downloads from Ms. It is good to become
familiar with all of the settings and what they do. If my post
sounded rude, that was not my intent. Good Luck to you.

Toolman Tim 12-09-2004 02:59 AM

Re: Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop, ad
infinitum <g>

Toolman Tim 12-09-2004 03:02 AM

Re: Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

"Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
| concerned as it's a brand new PC.
| Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
| Running XP.
|
| Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
| on this, please:
|
| I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
| back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
| do nothing. Wouldn't open.
|
| Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work
either.

| Re-booted, and all fine now.
|
| What might have caused ?
| Thoughts on.

Did the computer go into "standby"? If so, it may be taking a few moments to
fully recover after waking it up. How long did you try before rebooting?

WormWood 12-09-2004 03:28 AM

"Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
> Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
> shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop, ad
> infinitum <g>

That's an atrocity.......

> "Cubzilla" <no@chance.co.uk> wrote in message
> | did someone have access to your PC, I have seen it where a screen
> shot of
> | the desktop is used as the wallpaper, all other icons are moved.
> rebooting
> | restores all
> |

> | just might be

<snip>

dadiOH 12-09-2004 01:06 PM

WormWood wrote:
> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
>> Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
>> shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop,
>> ad infinitum <g>
>>

> That's an atrocity.......

....which should be visited upon my father-in-law. The screen shot wall
paper would be good too :)

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...