Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with Lotus Notes internet mail (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t213258-problem-with-lotus-notes-internet-mail.html)

zxcvbob 12-01-2004 02:35 PM

Problem with Lotus Notes internet mail

Wife's computer is set up with Lotus Notes 6 client for her email
client. It's a standalone client with no Domino server. I installed it
a few months ago when she was having too much trouble using Microsoft
Office and Outlook.

She has an outgoing note with a 60KB attachment stuck in her outgoing
replication folder, and every time she does a replicate to send it, it
fails almost immediately with an error, "A network operation failed to
complete in a reasonable amount of time, smtp.charter.net" (or something
very close to that.) Other messages stack up behind it in the outgoing
mail folder. If I delete that message, the others will send. Then I go
to her Sent folder and try sending a new copy and it gets stuck too with
the same error.

I can't find anything about this in the help files, and I don't see any
timeout settings in the server configurations. Any ideas? Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob

SuperStud 12-01-2004 07:27 PM

Re: Problem with Lotus Notes internet mail

"zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote in message
> Wife's computer is set up with Lotus Notes 6 client for her email client.
> It's a standalone client with no Domino server. I installed it a few
> months ago when she was having too much trouble using Microsoft Office and
> Outlook.
>
> She has an outgoing note with a 60KB attachment stuck in her outgoing
> replication folder, and every time she does a replicate to send it, it
> fails almost immediately with an error, "A network operation failed to
> complete in a reasonable amount of time, smtp.charter.net" (or something
> very close to that.) Other messages stack up behind it in the outgoing
> mail folder. If I delete that message, the others will send. Then I go
> to her Sent folder and try sending a new copy and it gets stuck too with
> the same error.
>
> I can't find anything about this in the help files, and I don't see any
> timeout settings in the server configurations. Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Lotus Notes has to be one of the worst email clients ever. Very clumsy and
prone to stupid errors like this all the time. Slow and.... it's just yuck.
Have to use it at work. So limited. Only good thing I can think of is that
it's more secure then the more popular clients, but at a price.

<<SS>>

zxcvbob 12-03-2004 02:31 AM

SuperStud wrote:
> "zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Wife's computer is set up with Lotus Notes 6 client for her email client.
>>It's a standalone client with no Domino server. I installed it a few
>>months ago when she was having too much trouble using Microsoft Office and
>>Outlook.
>>
>>She has an outgoing note with a 60KB attachment stuck in her outgoing
>>replication folder, and every time she does a replicate to send it, it
>>fails almost immediately with an error, "A network operation failed to
>>complete in a reasonable amount of time, smtp.charter.net" (or something
>>very close to that.) Other messages stack up behind it in the outgoing
>>mail folder. If I delete that message, the others will send. Then I go
>>to her Sent folder and try sending a new copy and it gets stuck too with
>>the same error.
>>
>>I can't find anything about this in the help files, and I don't see any
>>timeout settings in the server configurations. Any ideas? Thanks.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> Lotus Notes has to be one of the worst email clients ever. Very clumsy and
> prone to stupid errors like this all the time. Slow and.... it's just yuck.
> Have to use it at work. So limited. Only good thing I can think of is that
> it's more secure then the more popular clients, but at a price.
>
> <<SS>>

Thanks. That was very helpful.

I did manage to find the problem. It's a Lotus Notes bug since Release
5, and it only fails on W95, W98, and ME. Since it's not a problem for
Win2K or XP, it hasn't been a very high priority for IBM to fix it. The
circumvention is to set the smtp timeout multiplier value in the
notes.ini file. I set it to 10:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...mtp2/#IDAMDORD

Regards,
Bob

127.0.0.1 12-03-2004 01:42 PM

mohitstellar 02-21-2011 11:45 AM

Reply to the above query

Here you can try Stellar Lotus Notes Recovery Software which is an excellent software to repair corrupt NSF file and recovers all emails, calendar entries, notes, tasks, journals, attachments and address books. Lotus Notes Recovery software is an advanced and powerful tool which scans, repairs nsf files & performs quick recovery of corrupted NSF file components.