Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fried Another Power Supply Box (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t212793-fried-another-power-supply-box.html)

Paminifarm 11-24-2004 03:46 PM

Fried Another Power Supply Box

Hello,
When i click on a large image my computer freezes up.
I took it to Comp USA; they put in a new power supply.
Back home i click on a large image and the computer freezes up.
I take it to Rita she "fixes" it.
Back home i click in a large image and the computer freezes up.
I take the computer back to Rita, who says there is nothing
wrong with the computer.
Back home i fire up computer; the little green light on the
front comes on but that is all it will do.
Computer back to Rita, who says power supply is fried.
Rita said there is something wrong with my wall socket
where the computer has been plugged for about 7 years,
and that i should try the computer in a different room.
I will be going to get the computer in about an hour;
bring it home and do as adviced, however i will click
on a large image and i am sure the computer will freeze
up. The computer seems to be running too fast and/or the
mouse is running too fast. Does this ring a bell
for anyone?
Comp USA: about $150.00
Rita: $40.00
Rita:$70.00
Old 'puter and i have been together for too long now
for me to give up on it - can it be fixed?

Old Gringo 11-24-2004 03:57 PM

Re: Fried Another Power Supply Box

Paminifarm wrote:
> Hello,
> When i click on a large image my computer freezes up.
> I took it to Comp USA; they put in a new power supply.
> Back home i click on a large image and the computer freezes up.
> I take it to Rita she "fixes" it.
> Back home i click in a large image and the computer freezes up.
> I take the computer back to Rita, who says there is nothing
> wrong with the computer.
> Back home i fire up computer; the little green light on the
> front comes on but that is all it will do.
> Computer back to Rita, who says power supply is fried.
> Rita said there is something wrong with my wall socket
> where the computer has been plugged for about 7 years,
> and that i should try the computer in a different room.
> I will be going to get the computer in about an hour;
> bring it home and do as adviced, however i will click
> on a large image and i am sure the computer will freeze
> up. The computer seems to be running too fast and/or the
> mouse is running too fast. Does this ring a bell
> for anyone?
> Comp USA: about $150.00
> Rita: $40.00
> Rita:$70.00
> Old 'puter and i have been together for too long now
> for me to give up on it - can it be fixed?

I think in the computer world a 7 year old computer is an Antique.
You have spent enough on it already to replace it with something
quite adequate. You can love the old one as much sitting in a closet
as you can on your desk top not working. Anyway good luck with what
ever you may decide.

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere

Mike Easter 11-24-2004 04:21 PM

Paminifarm wrote:
> Comp USA: about $150.00
> Rita: $40.00
> Rita:$70.00

On sale at Fry's today, $179, internet ready in ATX case, Athlon XP
1800+, 128 meg, 40 gb hdd, 50x cdrom, mobo integrated graphics, nic,
modem, usb, complete with OS [Linspire, not win] - the GQ 3101, similar
to this 3111 [2000+] at outpost but without the shipping
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4199403

Not exactly state of the art or tricked out, but $180 much better spent
than working on that old box. Walmart often has similar deals.

Install your favorite OS if you don't want the Linspire.

--
Mike Easter

Paminifarm 11-24-2004 06:12 PM

Old Gringo <oldgringo747-noworkie-jet@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Hb2pd.36770$Al3.15864@newssvr30.news.prodigy .com>...
> Paminifarm wrote:
> > Hello,
> > When i click on a large image my computer freezes up.
> > I took it to Comp USA; they put in a new power supply.
> > Back home i click on a large image and the computer freezes up.
> > I take it to Rita she "fixes" it.
> > Back home i click in a large image and the computer freezes up.
> > I take the computer back to Rita, who says there is nothing
> > wrong with the computer.
> > Back home i fire up computer; the little green light on the
> > front comes on but that is all it will do.
> > Computer back to Rita, who says power supply is fried.
> > Rita said there is something wrong with my wall socket
> > where the computer has been plugged for about 7 years,
> > and that i should try the computer in a different room.
> > I will be going to get the computer in about an hour;
> > bring it home and do as adviced, however i will click
> > on a large image and i am sure the computer will freeze
> > up. The computer seems to be running too fast and/or the
> > mouse is running too fast. Does this ring a bell
> > for anyone?
> > Comp USA: about $150.00
> > Rita: $40.00
> > Rita:$70.00
> > Old 'puter and i have been together for too long now
> > for me to give up on it - can it be fixed?

> I think in the computer world a 7 year old computer is an Antique.
> You have spent enough on it already to replace it with something
> quite adequate. You can love the old one as much sitting in a closet
> as you can on your desk top not working. Anyway good luck with what
> ever you may decide.

Thank you for your input, however:
I had it upgraded less than 3 years ago with a new
motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then something happened
(i forget what, and they re-enstalled Windows). I
only want to use the computer for peripherals, because
of space/table top limitations. I work with huge images.
http://lillyrough.tripod.com/enter.html
http://www.geezer.com/artisan/257
http://paminifarm.faithweb.com
So what do you think, i should do?
The computer is back and the floppy is saying Outlook Express
isnot responding. It never did that before. This is something
new. Computer goes back to Rita on Monday.

Microsoft Windows 98
Second Edition
4.10.2222A

Computer:
Authentic AMD
AmD Atholon(tm) Processor
640.0 RAM
Original Configuration
Sytem Rssources 83% free
Virtual Memory 32-bit
No PC card
Hardware Accelerator isnot on "FULL". It is back from "FULL" on point

1000 MH 100 10 0

Duck ducking 11-25-2004 05:36 AM

Re: Fried Another Power Supply Box

On 24 Nov 2004 10:12:33 -0800, paminifarm3@netscape.net (Paminifarm)
wrote:

>This is something
>new. Computer goes back to Rita on Monday.

Just maybe this is the problem, Me thinks that she has had her chance
and it time for you to find someone else.