Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recognizing A HD In Place Of An Optical Drive ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t212482-recognizing-a-hd-in-place-of-an-optical-drive.html)

Robert11 11-20-2004 02:29 PM

Recognizing A HD In Place Of An Optical Drive ?

Hello:

Getting a new PC with XP.
Want to get a bit of a heads-up before it arrives.

Has 2 optical drives, which I assume are IDE types.
Also assuming that there is one cable, with 2 connectors, and that the
middle connector is
set up as "Slave".

Am I correct in that this is the way they are normally set up ?

I plan on temporarily placing an old IDE HD from an old PC to the
Slave, middle position, of the optical drive cable, on the new PC to
transfer some files (will remove the existing optical drive
temporarily).

Will XP automatically recognize that there is now a HD in this position
rather than
the optical drive it was initially set up for ?

Or, is there something I have to set, or reset, or... ?

Thanks,
B.

Toolman Tim 11-20-2004 05:10 PM

Re: Recognizing A HD In Place Of An Optical Drive ?

"Robert11" <rgsxrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
| Hello:
|
| Getting a new PC with XP.
| Want to get a bit of a heads-up before it arrives.
|
| Has 2 optical drives, which I assume are IDE types.
| Also assuming that there is one cable, with 2 connectors, and that the
| middle connector is
| set up as "Slave".
|
| Am I correct in that this is the way they are normally set up ?
|
| I plan on temporarily placing an old IDE HD from an old PC to the
| Slave, middle position, of the optical drive cable, on the new PC to
| transfer some files (will remove the existing optical drive
| temporarily).
|
| Will XP automatically recognize that there is now a HD in this position
| rather than
| the optical drive it was initially set up for ?
|
| Or, is there something I have to set, or reset, or... ?
|
| Thanks,
| B.

Your OLD hard drive is probably set as master - you would do better to put
that drive in your new computer where the master CD is for your transfer.
Yes, that will work very well, and your PC will find the drive, but it will
probably want you to reboot once.

Also, if your old drive is new enough to require the 80 wire IDE cable, you
may need to borrow the cable from the old computer as well. Your CDs in the
new computer will be using 40 wire, and your hard drive may not work
correctly on that kind of cable.

Actually, if it were me, I'd pull *both* CD-ROMS off the IDE cable, since
you don't have to worry about which is master and which is slave. After all,
when you pull the old drive back out and hook the CDs up again, Windows will
never know they had been gone.