Velocity Reviews

-   -   Incorrect Drive Letter (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t212347-incorrect-drive-letter.html)

ross 11-18-2004 09:39 AM

Incorrect Drive Letter

I've just reinstalled XP Pro with SP2 and find my Drive letter is "F",
not "C". I tried comp management but it says it cant change the letter
of the boot drive. Is there a way around this please.
Only 1 Hard-drive partitioned into 2x40G partitions. Second one not
formatted or anything.(Unallocated)
Any assistance appreciated.
Ross

PJB 11-18-2004 10:13 AM

Re: Incorrect Drive Letter

"ross" <ross@homeresting.net> wrote in message
> I've just reinstalled XP Pro with SP2 and find my Drive letter is "F",
> not "C". I tried comp management but it says it cant change the letter
> of the boot drive. Is there a way around this please.
> Only 1 Hard-drive partitioned into 2x40G partitions. Second one not
> formatted or anything.(Unallocated)
> Any assistance appreciated.
> Ross

do you have a multi-format memory card reader fitted? If so, disconnect it,
re-install XP, and it will come up as drive C. The reconnect card reader.

P.

Livewire 11-18-2004 01:41 PM

Re: Incorrect Drive Letter

In article <WLCY07824F15@wilecoyote.co.uk>, me@privacy.net says...

> "ross" <ross@homeresting.net> wrote in message
> > I've just reinstalled XP Pro with SP2 and find my Drive letter is "F",
> > not "C". I tried comp management but it says it cant change the letter
> > of the boot drive. Is there a way around this please.
> > Only 1 Hard-drive partitioned into 2x40G partitions. Second one not
> > formatted or anything.(Unallocated)
> > Any assistance appreciated.
> > Ross

> do you have a multi-format memory card reader fitted? If so, disconnect it,
> re-install XP, and it will come up as drive C. The reconnect card reader.
>
> P.

Good Lord, that's a glitch that's going to catch a few people out. But,
of course, we can be sure there's a Microsoft patch on its way sometime
this decade to solve it.

PJB 11-18-2004 03:01 PM

Re: Incorrect Drive Letter

"Livewire" <livewire_100@N.O.S.P.A.M.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c06b6c99e24c46198972a@news.eclipse.co.uk ...
> In article <WLCY07824F15@wilecoyote.co.uk>, me@privacy.net says...
> >
> > "ross" <ross@homeresting.net> wrote in message
> > > I've just reinstalled XP Pro with SP2 and find my Drive letter is "F",
> > > not "C". I tried comp management but it says it cant change the letter
> > > of the boot drive. Is there a way around this please.
> > > Only 1 Hard-drive partitioned into 2x40G partitions. Second one not
> > > formatted or anything.(Unallocated)
> > > Any assistance appreciated.
> > > Ross

> > do you have a multi-format memory card reader fitted? If so, disconnect

it,
> > re-install XP, and it will come up as drive C. The reconnect card

reader.

> > P.
> >

> Good Lord, that's a glitch that's going to catch a few people out. But,
> of course, we can be sure there's a Microsoft patch on its way sometime
> this decade to solve it.

A PC I built for a friend currently has the 1st HD as drive G, that's how I
found it ;-)
Bit annoying, to say the least.

P.