Velocity Reviews

-   -   Erase (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t212282-erase.html)

Nowhere 11-17-2004 11:23 AM

Erase

Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
around?

Paul - xxx 11-17-2004 11:39 AM

Re: Erase

Nowhere vaguely muttered something like ...
> Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
> around?

errr ... come again ... how can you 'erase' free disk space ?

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Harold Potter esq. 11-17-2004 02:10 PM

Re: Erase

Dumbkoff

Do you not realise that he is alluding to cleaning free disc
space.........stupiquido knuttir...use system mechanic.....clean deleted
files etc from hard drive..as you call it free space and then defrag.
Phew.........thought for a new adventure methinks, ms rawlings.

--
Ms Rawlings is not my mother, contrary to popular belief and folklore.

Old Gringo 11-17-2004 02:40 PM

Re: Erase

Nowhere wrote:
> Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
> around?

Clean it up, scan it, defrag it. and do it often

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere

Parko 11-17-2004 02:53 PM

Re: Erase

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:39:51 +0000, Paul - xxx wrote:

> Nowhere vaguely muttered something like ...
>> Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
>> around?

> errr ... come again ... how can you 'erase' free disk space ?

When Windows deletes a file it just removes the set bits at the start of
a file that flags to the OS the file's meta data, and that the file can be
overwritten. The answer is I would defrag a Windows OS first, then erase
the free disk space.
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Old Gringo 11-17-2004 03:09 PM

Re: Erase

Nowhere wrote:
> Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
> around?

Try this out for more information:
http://www.theallineed.com/computers...aintenance.htm

Plato 11-18-2004 10:36 PM

Re: Erase

Nowhere wrote:

> Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
> around?

If you defrag files are moved and overwrite data on "freespace"

Lance Boyle 11-19-2004 02:34 AM

Re: Erase

In article <419d2337$0$96178$45beb828@newscene.com>, |@|.| says...
> Nowhere wrote:
> >
> > Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
> > around?

> If you defrag files are moved and overwrite data on "freespace"

Wipe the free space first, then defrag.