Velocity Reviews

-   -   Winxp on a Dell system to Linux overnight (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t212231-winxp-on-a-dell-system-to-linux-overnight.html)

Datajunky® 11-16-2004 12:26 PM

Winxp on a Dell system to Linux overnight

I have simply had it with windows...
any good tutorials on switching over?

TIA

Parko 11-16-2004 03:00 PM

Re: Winxp on a Dell system to Linux overnight

Datajunky® wrote:
> I have simply had it with windows...
> any good tutorials on switching over?
>
> TIA

Not quite overnight, less than 30 minutes to install 'modern' Linux
distributions if you know what to do. Buy this: Linux in easy Steps by
Mike McGrath. A step by step guide to MandrakeLinux 10: installation,
configuration and use. If it makes sense then go here to grab a download
version of the OS. Get 10 Official.
http://www.ineasysteps.com/books/?1840782757
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3
http://www.google/linux
Joining Mandrake Club acts like a subscription to extra goodies. Could
you imagine M$ ever asking end users what software they wanted included
in Winxp. The only time I use WinXP is when I *have* to use proprietary
software specific to my job. Gruntmaster5000 is so slooooooow and locks
up regularly when it has WinXP foisted on it. Poor thing.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Blinky the Shark 11-16-2004 04:29 PM

Parko wrote:
> Datajunky® wrote:
>> I have simply had it with windows... any good tutorials on switching
>> over?

>> TIA

> Not quite overnight, less than 30 minutes to install 'modern' Linux
> distributions if you know what to do. Buy this: Linux in easy Steps by
> Mike McGrath. A step by step guide to MandrakeLinux 10: installation,
> configuration and use. If it makes sense then go here to grab a
> download version of the OS. Get 10 Official.
> http://www.ineasysteps.com/books/?1840782757
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3 http://www.google/linux
> Joining Mandrake Club acts like a subscription to extra goodies. Could
> you imagine M$ ever asking end users what software they wanted
> included in Winxp. The only time I use WinXP is when I *have* to use
> proprietary software specific to my job. Gruntmaster5000 is so
> slooooooow and locks up regularly when it has WinXP foisted on it.
> Poor thing.

And following up those recommendations with subscribing to
alt.os.linux.mandrake would be a good thing, as well.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

Jamco 11-16-2004 05:18 PM

Re: Winxp on a Dell system to Linux overnight

if your sick of windows, you'll hate linux even more.

The Clued Weasel 11-16-2004 06:57 PM

Re: Winxp on a Dell system to Linux overnight

Try http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040329/

ImhoTech 11-16-2004 08:58 PM

Re: Winxp on a Dell system to Linux overnight

"Datajunky®" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have simply had it with windows...
> any good tutorials on switching over?
>
> TIA

If you can't use XP, you'll never be able to use Linux, and aren't likely to
get it installed.

DC 11-16-2004 11:43 PM

Jamco wrote:
> if your sick of windows, you'll hate linux even more.

It's "you're".

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
-- Neil Peart

DC 11-17-2004 12:28 AM

ImhoTech wrote:
> "Datajunky®" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have simply had it with windows...
>> any good tutorials on switching over?

> If you can't use XP, you'll never be able to use Linux, and aren't likely to
> get it installed.

He didn't say that he *couldn't use it*, he said that he was *sick of
it*. Your inability to read is most likely the reason that *you* might
have had trouble with linux (assume that you have even tried it at all).

Depending on the distro, installing linux can be, IME, a hell of a lot
easier than installing Windows, not to mention about 1-1.5 hours faster
for a full Mandrake-Linux install, secure pretty much right out of the
box, with literally *hundreds* of programs ready to go. On average,
the whole linux install process takes all of 35 minutes on my P4 1.5GHz
(including updates).

My last clean installation of Windows XP took almost an hour. Then, I
waited 40 more minutes for SP2 to install from the CD. Follow this up
by another 15 minutes of Windows Update chugging along to top up the
updates *since* SP2.

Then, I needed to spend an additional 10-15 minutes finding and
uninstalling all the Windows components that I explicitly told it *not
to install* in the bloody first place. I followed this by another 15-20
minutes sifting through Black Viper's site to shutdown about 25
unneeded services and turning off all manner of Redmond fluff and
eye-candy to bring my system to some kind of usable level of
performance.

Well, wasn't that fun.

So, where's all the software? What do you mean, there's no software? I
paid $150+tax for XP and there's no software?

So...

+ 1hr for Office 2000 (w/updates) -- not to mention +$350
+ firewall software
+ anti-virus software
+ anti-spyware software
+ having to whip out a half dozen peripheral driver CDs just to get my
supposedly "Microsoft Windows compatible" hardware to work properly...

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'll tell you what: it made me pretty ****ing sick, too. This ****ing
circus occupied pretty much a whole Saturday by the time I was done.

Tell me again why this is acceptable, troll boi.

Shel-hed 11-17-2004 12:45 AM

Re: Winxp on a Dell system to Linux overnight

On 17 Nov 2004 00:28:36 GMT, DC <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

<snip usual XP install procedure>
>Wash, rinse, repeat.
>
>I'll tell you what: it made me pretty ****ing sick, too. This ****ing
>circus occupied pretty much a whole Saturday by the time I was done.
>
>Tell me again why this is acceptable, troll boi.

But.. but... the Total Cost Of Ownership(Trademark Registered) is so much lower!
After all, your weekend time is worthles..., *ahem*, free!

DC 11-17-2004 12:59 AM

Shel-hed wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2004 00:28:36 GMT, DC <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

><snip usual XP install procedure>
>>Wash, rinse, repeat.

>>I'll tell you what: it made me pretty ****ing sick, too. This ****ing
>>circus occupied pretty much a whole Saturday by the time I was done.

>>Tell me again why this is acceptable, troll boi.

> But.. but... the Total Cost Of Ownership(Trademark Registered) is so much lower!
> After all, your weekend time is worthles..., *ahem*, free!

TCO[1]... right. The real kicker is that you _own_ SFA.

But, that's *okay*. }:O)

[1] The TC0 study MS doesn't want you to see:
http://downloads.securityfocus.com/library/tc0.pdf