Velocity Reviews

-   -   Calling any air-conditioner experts (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t212166-calling-any-air-conditioner-experts.html)

Jeff Conescu 11-15-2004 11:55 AM

Calling any air-conditioner experts

[All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]

Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of it's
own...

With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the newer
ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck in
discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They certainly
look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I can't
find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or online.
Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?

All opinions greatly appreciated.

Rheilly Phoull 11-15-2004 01:13 PM

Re: Calling any air-conditioner experts

"Jeff Conescu" <coneyg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
>
> Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of

it's
> own...
>
> With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the

newer
> ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
> models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck

in
> discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They certainly
> look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I

can't
> find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or

online.
> Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
>
> All opinions greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert but since the compressor is outside they are much quieter and
to my knowledge no less efficient or reliable. Way to go IMHO.

--
Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull

Jeff Conescu 11-15-2004 01:30 PM

"Rheilly Phoull" <Rheilly@bigpong.com> wrote in message
> > [All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
> >
> > Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of

> it's own...
> >
> > With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the

> newer
> > ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
> > models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck

> in
> > discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They

certainly
> > look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I

> can't find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or
> online. Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
> >
> > All opinions greatly appreciated.
> >

> I'm no expert but since the compressor is outside they are much quieter

and
> to my knowledge no less efficient or reliable.

Isn't that the same for both wall mounts and ceiling/wall units?

> Way to go IMHO.

Thanks for your thoughts.

joevan 11-15-2004 02:23 PM

Re: Calling any air-conditioner experts

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:55:20 +1100, "Jeff Conescu" <coneyg@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>[All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
>
>Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of it's
>own...
>
>With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the newer
>ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
>models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck in
>discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They certainly
>look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I can't
>find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or online.
>Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
>
>All opinions greatly appreciated.

You might get some good response at

alt.home.repair

Andy 11-15-2004 02:29 PM

Re: Calling any air-conditioner experts

they're typically a lot quieter as the compressor sits outside the house,
(advice, if ur gonna get it wall mounted be careful, the one we have seems
to work at the exact reverb frequency of the room making it rather loud).

HawkEye 11-15-2004 02:31 PM

Re: Calling any air-conditioner experts

Before I lived in a house with a Split system sitting near the roof,
one of those long types... It was nice and cool, quiet too but only
just powerful enough for the 1 or 2 rooms.

In my current place we got one of those old square air conds with the
split box in the garage like the other system. Buts its a lot more
noisy, and doesnt cool well at all. Looks ugly too.

I will probably upgrade to a refrigerated split system with multiple
outlets when I can't take it anymore.

HawkEye 11-15-2004 02:31 PM

HawkEye 11-15-2004 02:32 PM

Marke 11-15-2004 02:49 PM

Re: Calling any air-conditioner experts

there performance rating should be based on the same HP rating you used on
the old square systems, because the out side unit is seperate to the inside
unit it is alot quieter, they have to be efficient, the hotel i work for
have 1 in most rooms and 2 in others its more of a case of buyer be aware
for reliability, cheaper models you will most likely get electronic failure
as most guarantree 5 years on compressors

good luck

Jeff Conescu 11-15-2004 02:55 PM

Re: Calling any air-conditioner experts

"Jeff Conescu" <coneyg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
>
> Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of

it's
> own...
>
> With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the

newer
> ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount
> models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck

in
> discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They certainly
> look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I

can't
> find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or

online.
> Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
>
> All opinions greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify - both units are split systems with the compressor in a
separate unit outside the box. The only fundamental difference is the
location of the long rectangular interface on the wall (as opposed to the
all in one box units which many seem to be referring to). Sorry if I didn't
make this clear at first.