Velocity Reviews

-   -   Getting rid of the slow XP search (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t212119-getting-rid-of-the-slow-xp-search.html)

Bob Johnson 11-14-2004 06:41 PM

Getting rid of the slow XP search

Hey people.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to nuke that cumbersome
do-you-want-to-search-for-pictures search in windows explorer...

well.. not NUKE it.. but change it back to the much faster "98"
version. I've done it once before, but have reloaded since and can't
remember. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I just want to
press F3 and search.. not press F3, tell the retarded dog that I want
to search for music, and THEN get to the search.

Oh.. and please don't tell me how to get rid of the dog.. i can do
that just fine.. but it still doesn't get rid of the slow search
functionality.

You guys rock!

Unk 11-14-2004 06:52 PM

Re: Getting rid of the slow XP search

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:41:27 -0800, Bob Johnson <> wrote:

>Hey people.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows how to nuke that cumbersome
>do-you-want-to-search-for-pictures search in windows explorer...
>
> well.. not NUKE it.. but change it back to the much faster "98"
>version. I've done it once before, but have reloaded since and can't
>remember. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I just want to
>press F3 and search.. not press F3, tell the retarded dog that I want
>to search for music, and THEN get to the search.
>
>Oh.. and please don't tell me how to get rid of the dog.. i can do
>that just fine.. but it still doesn't get rid of the slow search
>functionality.
>
>You guys rock!

Double-Click "My Computer", double-click the "Local Disk (C:)
Click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, under "Files and
Folders", check everything except "Do not cache thumbnails"

Under "Hidden files and Folders", check "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions....", and "Hide protected......"
check the box, "Remember each folder's view setting", click "Apply", "OK"

Improve Windows XP's search facility
http://www.thirdstar.net/beeline/Improve_XP_Search.htm

Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309173

HOW TO: Configure the Search Companion in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307980

That damn search assistant...

Disable Search Assistant (Line 15, Right Column)

Old Style Search Engine On/Off (Line 49, Left Column)

Or...
Use TweakUI, Explorer section to set Classic Search:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

A file that is required to run Search Companion....
Search Companion Error dialog - Yellow Exclamation Point
Can't Find Files, Containing text........
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm

Unk 11-14-2004 07:12 PM

Re: Getting rid of the slow XP search

You're welcome.

Bob Johnson 11-14-2004 07:14 PM

Lady Chatterly 11-14-2004 07:15 PM

In article <ijbfp0p97m17crul4f426rufrnkq32jami@4ax.com> Bob Johnson <> wrote:

>Great! thanks for all the cool links and stuff to read.. I'll check it
>out! My rating still stands strong! You guys rock! :)
>
>.... and now I wil

That sounds profound.

--
Lady Chatterly

"Lady Chatterly. It's not bot." -- Qasim

Unk 11-14-2004 07:22 PM

Re: Getting rid of the slow XP search

You're welcome again. :)

Bob Johnson 11-14-2004 07:25 PM

sethra 11-14-2004 11:06 PM

Bob Johnson <> wrote in news:jd9fp0ldemrvturp4tkdfhj9h723o1ielp@4ax.com:

> Hey people.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows how to nuke that cumbersome
> do-you-want-to-search-for-pictures search in windows explorer...
>
> well.. not NUKE it.. but change it back to the much faster "98"
> version. I've done it once before, but have reloaded since and can't
> remember. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I just want to
> press F3 and search.. not press F3, tell the retarded dog that I want
> to search for music, and THEN get to the search.
>
> Oh.. and please don't tell me how to get rid of the dog.. i can do
> that just fine.. but it still doesn't get rid of the slow search
> functionality.

Forget the XP search function. It's junk.

Agent Ransack is freeware, faster, and easier to use:

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

--
~sethra

Bob Johnson 11-15-2004 02:34 AM

Re: Getting rid of the slow XP search

Works fine for my purposes. I don't need to install anything else to
make my puter unstable.