Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Gateway computer help! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t211932-gateway-computer-help.html)

JohnCM 11-12-2004 04:44 AM

Gateway computer help!
 
I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
external drive.
But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
and as fast?

Unk 11-12-2004 05:47 AM

Re: Gateway computer help!
 
On 11 Nov 2004 20:44:08 -0800, qtraindash7@optonline.net (JohnCM) wrote:

>I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
>20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
>have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
>external drive.
>But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
>use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
>Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
>and as fast?


Get a program called Norton Ghost and a new 160 Gig Hard drive.
Now open your case and substitute the new HD for your CD-Rom. Make sure the HD
jumpers are set the same as the CD. (Probably set as Slave)

Now run Ghost and ghost your 20 Gig drive to the new 160 Gig drive. Be sure to
select the "Forensic Copy" mode. When done, reconnect the CD-Rom, remove your
old drive and install the new one in it's place. Make sure the new HD jumpers
are set the same as the old drive. (Probably set as Master).

Turn it on, and everything is as it was, except you now have an extra 140 Gig.



Dan Evans 11-12-2004 07:57 AM

Re: Gateway computer help!
 

"Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message
news:h4j8p0db08m2iuadsi7ts77vnv1ln3jv44@4ax.com...
> On 11 Nov 2004 20:44:08 -0800, qtraindash7@optonline.net (JohnCM) wrote:
>
>>I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
>>20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
>>have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
>>external drive.
>>But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
>>use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
>>Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
>>and as fast?

>
> Get a program called Norton Ghost and a new 160 Gig Hard drive.
> Now open your case and substitute the new HD for your CD-Rom. Make sure
> the HD
> jumpers are set the same as the CD. (Probably set as Slave)
>
> Now run Ghost and ghost your 20 Gig drive to the new 160 Gig drive. Be
> sure to
> select the "Forensic Copy" mode. When done, reconnect the CD-Rom, remove
> your
> old drive and install the new one in it's place. Make sure the new HD
> jumpers
> are set the same as the old drive. (Probably set as Master).
>
> Turn it on, and everything is as it was, except you now have an extra 140
> Gig.


And because the IDE drivers are different for the new drive, you blue screen
with "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE", even though you have managed to boot from
it.

Dan





.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-


PhilÅ 11-12-2004 09:19 AM

Re: Gateway computer help!
 
Dan, you are on the money.. This will probably happen and is a pain in the
arse to sort out..

Have a look at a program called XXCLONE (Shareware) do a google for it,
works for me. I suspect I should have the same blue screen, but didn't!!!
"Dan Evans" <mailer.daemon.harvest@danevans.com> wrote in message
news:41946b4d$0$14550$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com. ..
>
> "Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:h4j8p0db08m2iuadsi7ts77vnv1ln3jv44@4ax.com...
>> On 11 Nov 2004 20:44:08 -0800, qtraindash7@optonline.net (JohnCM) wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
>>>20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
>>>have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
>>>external drive.
>>>But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
>>>use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
>>>Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
>>>and as fast?

>>
>> Get a program called Norton Ghost and a new 160 Gig Hard drive.
>> Now open your case and substitute the new HD for your CD-Rom. Make sure
>> the HD
>> jumpers are set the same as the CD. (Probably set as Slave)
>>
>> Now run Ghost and ghost your 20 Gig drive to the new 160 Gig drive. Be
>> sure to
>> select the "Forensic Copy" mode. When done, reconnect the CD-Rom, remove
>> your
>> old drive and install the new one in it's place. Make sure the new HD
>> jumpers
>> are set the same as the old drive. (Probably set as Master).
>>
>> Turn it on, and everything is as it was, except you now have an extra 140
>> Gig.

>
> And because the IDE drivers are different for the new drive, you blue
> screen with "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE", even though you have managed to
> boot from it.
>
> Dan
>
>
>
>
> .................................................. ..............
> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
> >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>




philo 11-12-2004 09:39 AM

Re: Gateway computer help!
 

"JohnCM" <qtraindash7@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:de3c86c3.0411112044.4ca33ffa@posting.google.c om...
>I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
> 20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
> have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
> external drive.
> But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
> use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
> Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
> and as fast?



your idea should work fine
there is no difference between an internal harddrive
and the external other than the case itself and the USB connection



Dan Evans 11-12-2004 11:50 AM

Re: Gateway computer help!
 

"PhilÅ" <iclgateway@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2vjdhrF2nn1jsU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Dan, you are on the money.. This will probably happen and is a pain in the
> arse to sort out..
>
> Have a look at a program called XXCLONE (Shareware) do a google for it,
> works for me. I suspect I should have the same blue screen, but didn't!!!


Thanks, I'll check that out - probably save me some grief further down the
line.

Dan





.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-


Unk 11-12-2004 06:16 PM

Re: Gateway computer help!
 
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:57:26 +0100, "Dan Evans"
<mailer.daemon.harvest@danevans.com> wrote:

>
>"Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message
>news:h4j8p0db08m2iuadsi7ts77vnv1ln3jv44@4ax.com.. .
>> On 11 Nov 2004 20:44:08 -0800, qtraindash7@optonline.net (JohnCM) wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
>>>20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
>>>have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
>>>external drive.
>>>But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
>>>use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
>>>Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
>>>and as fast?

>>
>> Get a program called Norton Ghost and a new 160 Gig Hard drive.
>> Now open your case and substitute the new HD for your CD-Rom. Make sure
>> the HD
>> jumpers are set the same as the CD. (Probably set as Slave)
>>
>> Now run Ghost and ghost your 20 Gig drive to the new 160 Gig drive. Be
>> sure to
>> select the "Forensic Copy" mode. When done, reconnect the CD-Rom, remove
>> your
>> old drive and install the new one in it's place. Make sure the new HD
>> jumpers
>> are set the same as the old drive. (Probably set as Master).
>>
>> Turn it on, and everything is as it was, except you now have an extra 140
>> Gig.

>
>And because the IDE drivers are different for the new drive, you blue screen
>with "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE", even though you have managed to boot from
>it.
>
>Dan
>
>

What nonsense. I have Ghosted half a dozen drives on XP systems this week alone.

This 160 Gig XP system drive has a Ghosted 120 Gig backup drive sitting in the
drawer and it boots just fine.


Dan Evans 11-13-2004 10:15 AM

Re: Gateway computer help!
 

"Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message
news:rvu9p0d7apdkqnq3be76usproecccvarqb@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:57:26 +0100, "Dan Evans"
> <mailer.daemon.harvest@danevans.com> wrote:


>>And because the IDE drivers are different for the new drive, you blue
>>screen
>>with "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE", even though you have managed to boot from
>>it.


> What nonsense. I have Ghosted half a dozen drives on XP systems this week
> alone.


If the new drive uses the same drivers as the old, of course it'll be fine,
but when they use different drivers, you have problems

> This 160 Gig XP system drive has a Ghosted 120 Gig backup drive sitting in
> the
> drawer and it boots just fine.


Same manufacturer/production period?

Dan





.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.