Velocity Reviews

-   -   Msn Messenger or Windows Messenger using webcam XP with Firewall enabled (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t211791-msn-messenger-or-windows-messenger-using-webcam-xp-with-firewall-enabled.html)

Bun Mui 11-10-2004 07:32 AM

Msn Messenger or Windows Messenger using webcam XP with Firewall enabled

I wish to use my Creative webcam to video conference wirh someone who
has a logtech webcam.

Does it matter whether one party uses Msn Messenger or Windows Messenger ?

They will stil both work right?

I have trouble in connecting video cam. I think because both parties
have XP Firewall enabled.

Is there a way to set XP Firewall enabled yet webcam will work for both parties.
Each one can see and talk to each other?

Thanks.

Bun Mui

Dr Hackenbush 11-10-2004 08:34 AM

Re: Msn Messenger or Windows Messenger using webcam XP with Firewall enabled

"Bun Mui" <bunmuing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f400b4f6.0411092332.285fa58b@posting.google.c om...
>I wish to use my Creative webcam to video conference wirh someone who
> has a logtech webcam.
>
> Does it matter whether one party uses Msn Messenger or Windows Messenger ?
>
> They will stil both work right?
>
> I have trouble in connecting video cam. I think because both parties
> have XP Firewall enabled.
>
> Is there a way to set XP Firewall enabled yet webcam will work for both
> parties.
> Each one can see and talk to each other?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bun Mui

To the best of my knowledge having both programs and using them regularly
for video sessions, both parties must be using the same program.
If not an alert comes up when you try to connect saying something to the
effect that the other person does not have the correct software.

You should only have to tell the Firewall to allow the particular program to
have access (via the Security Center page in the control panel)every time it
tries to gain access to the net and that should be it. Thats all I had to do

HTH

WormWood 11-10-2004 08:52 AM

Re: Msn Messenger or Windows Messenger using webcam XP with Firewall enabled

"Bun Mui" <bunmuing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f400b4f6.0411092332.285fa58b@posting.google.c om...
|I wish to use my Creative webcam to video conference wirh someone who
| has a logtech webcam.
|
| Does it matter whether one party uses Msn Messenger or Windows
Messenger ?

| They will stil both work right?

MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are not the same thing; Windows
Messenger is the corporate client allowing connection to instant
messenger servers on your local network such as Microsoft Exchange IM
Server or Microsoft Live Communcation Server (SIP). MSN Messenger is
more of the home client allowing you to send messages to mobile devices
and have real time alerts to new email if you are using a hotmail
account, Since MSN 6.0 it has also included a much more 'fun' user
interface and features to match.

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsX...senger.php#dif

I bet you could have found this by googling.