Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t211492-how-can-i-prevent-quicktime-from-intercepting-and-playing-mp3-downloads.html)

NewB 11-05-2004 05:23 AM

how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
win98se
mozilla browser
quicktime plugin [aside: seems you have to install quicktime as an ap
just to get the browser plugin]


problem:

quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing them
I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as' dialogue

In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default mp3
player

any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?

I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto
location bar..



trout 11-05-2004 05:56 AM

Re: how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
NewB wrote:

> win98se
> mozilla browser
> quicktime plugin [aside: seems you have to install quicktime as an ap
> just to get the browser plugin]
>
>
> problem:
>
> quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing them
> I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as' dialogue
>
> In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default mp3
> player
>
> any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?
>
> I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
> but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto
> location bar..


Try this. From Start Menu; go to Settings; Folder Options; File Type
tab.
Highlight "Quick Time Player Plugin"; click Edit, and make sure that
"Confirm open after download" is checked.
--
"*Should* do it."



Norman Miller 11-05-2004 06:47 AM

Re: how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
In article <i63mo013u5o7r9e9vhg5idfp8rfjvluppo@4ax.com>, NewB says...

> win98se
> mozilla browser
> quicktime plugin [aside: seems you have to install quicktime as an ap
> just to get the browser plugin]


> problem:


> quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing them
> I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as' dialogue


> In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default mp3
> player


> any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?


> I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
> but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto
> location bar..


Perhaps the trick will be to remove the plugin and set up a "helper
application" instead. So far, I can't find a way to force it to work the way
that you want. Have you asked in the Mozilla news group?

--
Norman
~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Lady Chatterly 11-05-2004 08:37 AM

Re: how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
In article <i63mo013u5o7r9e9vhg5idfp8rfjvluppo@4ax.com> NewB <no1@no.not> wrote:
>
>problem:


Say, do you have any psychological problems?

>quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing them
>I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as' dialogue


Are you sure you want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as'
dialogue?

>In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default mp3
>player


What makes you think I am a chatbot?

>any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?


Stop! Don't answer that! It's a trick
mumbo-jumbo-combo-question-thinga-majigger.

>I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
>but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto
>location bar..


Why do you ask if you know when there is a link? Why do you think you
are pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto location bar?

--
Lady Chatterly

"Do you make a habit of chatting up bots?" -- Qasim


NewB 11-05-2004 05:18 PM

Re: how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:56:54 -0800, "trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>NewB wrote:
>
>> win98se
>> mozilla browser
>> quicktime plugin [aside: seems you have to install quicktime as an ap
>> just to get the browser plugin]
>>
>>
>> problem:
>>
>> quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing them
>> I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as' dialogue
>>
>> In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default mp3
>> player
>>
>> any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?
>>
>> I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
>> but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto
>> location bar..

>
> Try this. From Start Menu; go to Settings; Folder Options; File Type
>tab.
>Highlight "Quick Time Player Plugin"; click Edit, and make sure that
>"Confirm open after download" is checked.



It was already checked. :\

I notified apple/quicktime about this a while back, but never got a
reply.



trout 11-05-2004 11:37 PM

Re: how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
NewB wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:56:54 -0800, "trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> NewB wrote:
>>
>>> win98se
>>> mozilla browser
>>> quicktime plugin [aside: seems you have to install quicktime as an
>>> ap just to get the browser plugin]
>>>
>>>
>>> problem:
>>>
>>> quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing
>>> them I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as' dialogue
>>>
>>> In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default
>>> mp3 player
>>>
>>> any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?
>>>
>>> I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
>>> but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the
>>> goto location bar..

>>
>> Try this. From Start Menu; go to Settings; Folder Options; File
>> Type tab.
>> Highlight "Quick Time Player Plugin"; click Edit, and make sure that
>> "Confirm open after download" is checked.

>
>
> It was already checked. :\
>
> I notified apple/quicktime about this a while back, but never got a
> reply.


You could try associating the file-type with a different program,
that will play nicer. Both from Folder Options and in the (program x)
default file associations.



Fred 11-06-2004 04:54 AM

Re: how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
Lady Chatterly <no1@catcher.in.the.rye> wrote:

> Say, do you have any psychological problems?


If i did have any psychological problems, would I tell you?

> Are you sure you want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as'
> dialogue?


What is desirable?

> What makes you think I am a chatbot?


Why are you a chatbot?

> Stop!


Why should I stop?

> Don't answer that!


What? I'll have to see it first.

> Why do you ask if you know when there is a link?


I enjoy it.

> Why do you think you are pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto
> location bar?


Because I want to.



NewB 11-06-2004 07:37 PM

Re: how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:37:25 -0800, "trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>NewB wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:56:54 -0800, "trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in
>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> NewB wrote:
>>>
>>>> win98se
>>>> mozilla browser
>>>> quicktime plugin [aside: seems you have to install quicktime as an
>>>> ap just to get the browser plugin]
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> problem:
>>>>
>>>> quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing
>>>> them I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as' dialogue
>>>>
>>>> In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default
>>>> mp3 player
>>>>
>>>> any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?
>>>>
>>>> I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
>>>> but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the
>>>> goto location bar..
>>>
>>> Try this. From Start Menu; go to Settings; Folder Options; File
>>> Type tab.
>>> Highlight "Quick Time Player Plugin"; click Edit, and make sure that
>>> "Confirm open after download" is checked.

>>
>>
>> It was already checked. :\
>>
>> I notified apple/quicktime about this a while back, but never got a
>> reply.

>
> You could try associating the file-type with a different program,
>that will play nicer. Both from Folder Options and in the (program x)
>default file associations.
>



On system, mp3 is associated with winamp
on QT, mp3 is de-selected

so i remain stumped.

trout 11-06-2004 08:33 PM

Re: how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?
 
NewB wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:37:25 -0800, "trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> NewB wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:56:54 -0800, "trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote
>>> in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>>
>>>> NewB wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> win98se
>>>>> mozilla browser
>>>>> quicktime plugin [aside: seems you have to install quicktime as an
>>>>> ap just to get the browser plugin]
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> problem:
>>>>>
>>>>> quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing
>>>>> them I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as'
>>>>> dialogue
>>>>>
>>>>> In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default
>>>>> mp3 player
>>>>>
>>>>> any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?
>>>>>
>>>>> I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
>>>>> but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the
>>>>> goto location bar..
>>>>
>>>> Try this. From Start Menu; go to Settings; Folder Options; File
>>>> Type tab.
>>>> Highlight "Quick Time Player Plugin"; click Edit, and make sure
>>>> that "Confirm open after download" is checked.
>>>
>>>
>>> It was already checked. :\
>>>
>>> I notified apple/quicktime about this a while back, but never got a
>>> reply.

>>
>> You could try associating the file-type with a different program,
>> that will play nicer. Both from Folder Options and in the (program
>> x) default file associations.
>>

>
>
> On system, mp3 is associated with winamp
> on QT, mp3 is de-selected
>
> so i remain stumped.


Hmmm. How about when you just (double) click an mp3 that's already
on your drive? Does Winamp open it?
Another thing to consider is that Mozilla may have an option in
'tools' or configuration to suspend the browser plug-in. I'm not
familiar with the program, so I can't check, myself.



poppy10 10-18-2007 09:54 PM

I have the same problem, and I have tried the steps above - is there any solution yet please? :smile:


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.