Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lavasoft Ad-Aware Help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t211462-lavasoft-ad-aware-help.html)

*****General 11-04-2004 09:34 PM

Lavasoft Ad-Aware Help

I have recently started getting problems while running Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6.
When I start the application I get an error message saying: "Error while
download and install an updated reference file it immediately says Webupdate
completed even though the progress bar is only at 5%. It is obviously not
downloading anything as usually this takes at least a few seconds. The part
that says 'Installed Reference-file:' is blank and under it where it says
'Installed Core Application:' 6.181 is listed. After I click on Finish and
start a scan I get the following error message: There is no disk in the
drive. Please insert a disk in drive D:' There are 3 options, Cancel, Try
Again and Continue. If I Continue then this message comes up a few more
times the scan carries on as normal but never finds anything. The drives I
have selected for Ad-aware to scan does not include the D: drive, which is
my CD drive. Can someone please help me resolve this problem?

Freddy 11-04-2004 09:58 PM

Re: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Help

Delete and reinstall.

*****General 11-04-2004 10:22 PM

Re: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Help

D'oh! "Sometimes the simplest of solutions are right in front our closed
eyes". Thanks.
But just out of curiosity and wanting it to not happen again, what caused
this problem?

trout 11-05-2004 12:25 AM

Re: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Help

*****General wrote:

> D'oh! "Sometimes the simplest of solutions are right in front our
> closed eyes". Thanks.
> But just out of curiosity and wanting it to not happen again, what
> caused this problem?

*Quite likely*, your system or browser just got a bit fidgety (to
use the technical term) and a download got corrupted. It can happen from
time to time. This is why I update my programs after a reboot, when the
system resources aren't distracted by bits of things running in the
background.

> "Freddy" <ant@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>> Delete and reinstall.
>>
>> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>>> I have recently started getting problems while running Lavasoft
>>> Ad-Aware 6. When I start the application I get an error message
>>> saying: "Error while loading the Ad-aware reference file".

[snip]
--
"You've now run out of things to read here."

*****General 11-05-2004 08:39 PM

Re: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Help

Seems to be a hell of a lot of people have been getting this problem. I have
Ad-Aware and encountered the same problem. I uninstalled and re-installed
and everything worked fine for a little while. Then all of a sudden it
happened again for no reason. I could open up Ad-Aware and have it work
fine. Close it and open it again straight away and it won't work. Also I
kept getting an old reference file from 2003. I also uncovered a startling
thing in my registry while searching for references to Ad-Aware:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. This led me to:
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.cdt.html
I deleted all of these entries in my registry (how the hell did they all get
there without SpyBot warning me of a registry change I will never know) and
all other references to Adware or Ad-Aware. I then got the latest Ad-Ware
download (Ad-Ware SE) and installed it from the Lavasoft website. Everything
seems to be working fine now as I have discovered 45 new critical objects.
*fingers crossed* Hope this helps.

trout 11-05-2004 11:31 PM

Re: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Help

*****General wrote:

> Seems to be a hell of a lot of people have been getting this problem.
> I have Ad-Aware and encountered the same problem. I uninstalled and
> re-installed and everything worked fine for a little while. Then all
> of a sudden it happened again for no reason. I could open up Ad-Aware
> and have it work fine. Close it and open it again straight away and
> it won't work. Also I kept getting an old reference file from 2003. I
> also uncovered a startling thing in my registry while searching for
> references to Ad-Aware:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. This led me to:
> http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.cdt.html

Are you saying that you actually found "adware.cdt" (which is
spyware, of course), or this Symantec (A/V) page *about* it?

> I deleted all of these entries in my registry (how the hell did they
> all get there without SpyBot warning me of a registry change I will
> never know) and all other references to Adware or Ad-Aware. I then
> got the latest Ad-Ware download (Ad-Ware SE) and installed it from
> the Lavasoft website. Everything seems to be working fine now as I
> have discovered 45 new critical objects.
> *fingers crossed* Hope this helps.

Remember also, that AdAware will sometimes report finding elements
of Spybot S&D, like virus definitions or Hosts file entries. Have a good
look at items before you delete them.

*****General 11-06-2004 12:29 AM

Re: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Help

"trout" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> *****General wrote:
>
> > Seems to be a hell of a lot of people have been getting this problem.
> > I have Ad-Aware and encountered the same problem. I uninstalled and
> > re-installed and everything worked fine for a little while. Then all
> > of a sudden it happened again for no reason. I could open up Ad-Aware
> > and have it work fine. Close it and open it again straight away and
> > it won't work. Also I kept getting an old reference file from 2003. I
> > also uncovered a startling thing in my registry while searching for
> > references to Ad-Aware:
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
> > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. This led me to:
> > http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.cdt.html

> Are you saying that you actually found "adware.cdt" (which is
> spyware, of course), or this Symantec (A/V) page *about* it?

I found the webpage. Thankfully I did not find adware.cdt.

> > I deleted all of these entries in my registry (how the hell did they
> > all get there without SpyBot warning me of a registry change I will
> > never know) and all other references to Adware or Ad-Aware. I then
> > got the latest Ad-Ware download (Ad-Ware SE) and installed it from
> > the Lavasoft website. Everything seems to be working fine now as I
> > have discovered 45 new critical objects.
> > *fingers crossed* Hope this helps.

> Remember also, that AdAware will sometimes report finding elements
> of Spybot S&D, like virus definitions or Hosts file entries. Have a good
> look at items before you delete them.

Thanks. Everything works fine now.