Velocity Reviews

-   -   How hard is it to install a standard dialup fax modem? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t211233-how-hard-is-it-to-install-a-standard-dialup-fax-modem.html)

Queen of the Potato People 11-01-2004 08:18 PM

How hard is it to install a standard dialup fax modem?

How hard it would be for me to install a fax/modem on my own? I don't
want to give Best Buy 40 bucks for a modem and then pay them to install
it. As I would be doing this to regain my seldom used fax capabilities,
it's just not cost effective for me. OTOH, it wouldn't be really bright
to completely ruin my computer if I get stuck and mess up something vital.

--
If a job's worth doing make sure you're off sick.

ron 11-01-2004 08:32 PM

Re: How hard is it to install a standard dialup fax modem?

"Queen of the Potato People" <sistercat14-newsspam@yahoo.com.spam.spam.spam>
wrote in message news:DSwhd.13961$bP2.25@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com ...
> How hard it would be for me to install a fax/modem on my own? I don't
> want to give Best Buy 40 bucks for a modem and then pay them to install
> it. As I would be doing this to regain my seldom used fax capabilities,
> it's just not cost effective for me. OTOH, it wouldn't be really bright
> to completely ruin my computer if I get stuck and mess up something vital.
>

> --
> If a job's worth doing make sure you're off sick.

An external modem would be your best bet then. Plug into the phone socket
and into a USB port. Install software.
If you had been in the UK I could have sold you my redundant Supra Diamond
modem

Ron

Ghostrider 11-01-2004 08:36 PM

Queen of the Potato People wrote:
> How hard it would be for me to install a fax/modem on my own? I don't
> want to give Best Buy 40 bucks for a modem and then pay them to install
> it. As I would be doing this to regain my seldom used fax capabilities,
> it's just not cost effective for me. OTOH, it wouldn't be really bright
> to completely ruin my computer if I get stuck and mess up something vital.

How comfortable are you at opening up the computer case,
inserting a peripheral card into an empty slot, tightening
it down and then closing the case? Have all of the right
tools? How good are you at reading and following instructions,
perhaps written in a third-world engineer-speak? In other
words, is $40.00 worth the peace of mind for somebody else
to do the job? Perhaps, it might even be better to skip Best
Buy store and go to a local, computer shop for the modem card
and its installation.

Stevo 11-01-2004 08:39 PM

Re: How hard is it to install a standard dialup fax modem?

Queen of the Potato People wrote:
> How hard it would be for me to install a fax/modem on my own? I don't
> want to give Best Buy 40 bucks for a modem and then pay them to
> install it. As I would be doing this to regain my seldom used fax
> capabilities, it's just not cost effective for me. OTOH, it wouldn't
> be really bright to completely ruin my computer if I get stuck and
> mess up something vital.

Depends whether the modem is external or internal... what your PC is,
which operating system etc..

For fax capability, you don't need a super duper modem, any old 28 or
33.6 K modem will do.. and an external modem is the easiest option if
you have the serial port available.

An external modem will need the proper power pack and a cable to connect
it to an available serial port on your PC.. it can be connected with the
power on, but for safety and best installation practice it is best to
shut down Windows and power off the PC and the modem. When powering up,
power the modem, then the PC..

An internal modem will require an available slot (probably PCI,
depending on the age of your PC).. make sure to close down windows
properly, power down the PC and make sure the power is off to the
motherboard - best done by turning off the switch near the power cord
itself or remove the power cord itself.. give the system some time (30
seconds or so) to bleed off any residual power.. then remove the blank
panel at the rear of the available slot, and carefully insert the modem
card, using gentle pressure to ensure the card seats right home into the
slot, then put in the fixing screw at the top of the metal bracket to
hold the card in place..

Whichever of the above you use, what happens next depends on the OS..
from Win 98 on, the modem should be recognised when you put the power
cord back in and power up the PC..

Let it boot as normal - the modem should be recognised by the OS and you
will probably be asked for a driver, which should come with the modem
(but if not, for purely faxing capability one of the standard generic
Windows modem drivers might work just fine)..

Then you have to install the fax program - Windows XP is easy to do, Win
98 a bit harder (simply because it is not a 'default' application, but
it does exist on the Windows CD)..

A word of advice though, if you don't feel confident with any of the
above, then you should leave it to someone else to do.. it IS possible
to cause damage..

Hope this helps..

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Nice Guy 11-01-2004 08:41 PM

Re: How hard is it to install a standard dialup fax modem?

Other than opening and closing the case it's about a five to ten minute job.

David Hemingsley 11-01-2004 09:28 PM

Re: How hard is it to install a standard dialup fax modem?

It is easy

Dale Benjamin 11-02-2004 11:02 AM

Re: How hard is it to install a standard dialup fax modem?

If you're referring to a real bargain basement modem, it can be a bit
daunting! But for $40 you should be dealing with a name brand
manufacturer.

I got one for $15 a few years ago, two different manufacturer's names on
it, no web site for either, a CD packed with dozens of drivers, gobs of
flashy advertisements for other stuff, and in tiny print, the location of
the setup program to use. Two reboots before it was ready, an ominus text
box that stayed up for over a minute ( is it crashed yet? ), and then
Windows would throw out the driver when I used an earlier modem.

Still haven't got it installed under Linux. Seems like there are hundreds
of models using much the same chips, with minute differences between them,
so they require different drivers.

A $40 modem should be no real problem, but if you're not familiar with the
jargon it may take some study to figure it out. It's probably a wise
choice to do it yourself because occasion may arise to reinstall it down
the line, and if you figure it out now, you're farther ahead.