Velocity Reviews

-   -   What the hell is AOL doing to AIM? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t210880-what-the-hell-is-aol-doing-to-aim.html)

Sseadoubleyou 10-27-2004 01:54 AM

What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

Starting this evening, everytime I launch the program and sign on, it keeps
trying to play this stupid ass John Kerry promo video at the top of the AIM
software/buddy list window. When I try to stop it, the damn program freezes
up on me and I have to do a control/alt/delete to close it out. Then it
pops up a seperate window to try to play the video in a bigger window, has
AOL now signed onto the John Kerry campaign? This is ridiculous! I can't
do a damn thing with the program, can't talk to anyone or do crap! I have
uninstalled it and reinstalled it thinking the problem was on my end but
it's not. Obviously AOL is once again doing what they do best, screwing
around with other peoples computers.

Is anyone else having this issue and is there a way for me to turn this ****
off?

Thanks.

Toolman Tim 10-27-2004 01:56 AM

Re: What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

>| Starting this evening, everytime I launch the program and sign on,
>| it keeps trying to play this stupid ass John Kerry promo video at
>| the top of the AIM software/buddy list window. When I try to stop
>| it, the damn program freezes up on me and I have to do a
>| control/alt/delete to close it out. Then it pops up a seperate
>| window to try to play the video in a bigger window, has AOL now
>| signed onto the John Kerry campaign? This is ridiculous! I can't
>| do a damn thing with the program, can't talk to anyone or do crap!
>| I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it thinking the problem was on
>| my end but it's not. Obviously AOL is once again doing what they do
>| best, screwing around with other peoples computers.
>|
>| Is anyone else having this issue and is there a way for me to turn
>| this **** off?
>|
>| Thanks.

Switch to Trillian - http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Sseadoubleyou 10-27-2004 01:59 AM

Re: What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

No thanks.

Toolman Tim 10-27-2004 02:05 AM

Re: What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

>| No thanks.
>|

>| "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
>| >>|
>| >>|

>| > Switch to Trillian - http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

Well, okay, but apparently AOL is selling ads to cover their free products,
so you either live with the ads or switch.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Sseadoubleyou 10-27-2004 02:23 AM

Re: What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

I have used Trillian before, I don't like it, there is alway sproblems with
connections, been there done that. This AOL **** only started this evening,
I was on AIM earlier today and there were no problems.

trout 10-27-2004 02:32 AM

Sseadoubleyou wrote:

> No thanks.

Trillian is actually a 'shell' through which you can run a number of
IM programs; so you wouldn't actually be "switching"; just running the
same program through a different interface. Whether or not this solves
the ad problem, I don't know, as I've never used AIM.
But it's (Trillian) a good, free, program that you can use without
changing your existing AIM account. Might not hurt to give it a try.
Description and review:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I23E638C8

> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message

>> Switch to Trillian - http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

--
"I'm not going to waste a signature down here."

Sseadoubleyou 10-27-2004 02:52 AM

Re: What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

Yeah I have used it before, notice I said in my previoius response that I
was tired of dealing with connection issues regarding the program, I even
paid for the pro version.

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor 10-27-2004 03:09 AM

Re: What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
26 Oct 2004 22:23:10 -0400, "Sseadoubleyou"
<SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>I have used Trillian before, I don't like it, there is alway sproblems with
>connections, been there done that. This AOL **** only started this evening,
>I was on AIM earlier today and there were no problems.

Just what exactly did you expect from AOL?

<snip>

Sseadoubleyou 10-27-2004 03:24 AM

Re: What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

Maybe if some of you actually opened up your AIM you could tell me if your
having the same issue. AIM is the most used instant messaging service out
there, I'm not on AOL, I only have AIM. The only way to stop this **** is
to uninstall java from your computer. But I need Java for other stuff that
I do.

trout 10-27-2004 03:49 AM

Sseadoubleyou wrote:

> Yeah I have used it before, notice I said in my previoius response
> that I was tired of dealing with connection issues regarding the
> program, I even paid for the pro version.

Ah, yes. I hadn't seen that before I posted. Again, I don't use the
program, so I can't test any of this; but perhaps you could try
something in the way of an ad-killer.
Some reading here:
http://cexx.org/aim.htm
--