Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asks to be returned for service (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t210619-toshiba-satellite-pro-a10-fan-grinds-and-dies-laptop-asks-to-be-returned-for-service.html)

Ed Bennett 10-22-2004 11:00 AM

Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asks to be returned for service
 
Last night I left my notebook on while I went out. When I got back, I
went in to start getting my email, and the fan started normally (for
about half a second), then started to make the most awful grinding
noise (like someone was using an angle grinder inside my machine). It
did this for about 1 seconds, and then switched the fan off. After
about 3 seconds of silence, the cycle begain again.
The machine was incredibly sluggish (probably because the processor
was overheating), and when it finally began to respond, a message
appeared on the screen (presumably from Toshiba's software), saying

System Warning
A problem has been detected with the cooling system.
Please turn off your computer immediately and return it for
service.

Needless to say, as the warrantee has expired on this machine
returning it for service is not the most attractive proposition ever.

I turned off the machine, disconnected all power sources, and opened
up the fan casing on the back. The processor and heatsink were quite
hot (but not much hotter than I have noticed in there before - nothing
was melting or anything). I unscrewed and removed the fan, blew some
air through it (no noise). I could not see anything that could be
obstructing the path of the fan. I replaced the fan, and left the
thing to cool overnight, hoping that it would have fixed itself by the
morning.

This morning, I closed everything up and booted it, and there was no
fan at all. I logged in to Windows and then the same cycle as last
night started, and immediately the error from Toshiba appeared.
Turned computer off and removed power, and opened it up again. I
tried blowing onto the fan without having removed it. The fan seemed
to go round fine with no noise at all.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could possibly have gone wrong
here, and what I can do to fix it (without returning for service)

Thanks!

--
Ed Bennett

Rick Merrill 10-22-2004 02:50 PM

Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asksto be returned for service
 

> Does anyone have any ideas as to what could possibly have gone wrong
> here, and what I can do to fix it (without returning for service)


Fan burned out - it's pretty common. Replace it.

Ed Bennett 10-22-2004 02:51 PM

Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asks to be returned for service
 
"Rick Merrill" <RickMerrill@comTHROW.net> wrote in message
news:yIadnbz3LKmjg-TcRVn-ug@comcast.com...
> Fan burned out - it's pretty common. Replace it.


The laptop or the fan?

I've spent hours Googling trying to find a replacement (it was sounding
pretty shoddy before, so I was trying to source a replacement) - but to no
avail.

Do you have any ideas where to get a replacement fan for this model?

Thanks!

--
Ed Bennett



? 10-22-2004 05:43 PM

Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asks to be returned for service
 
http://www.toshiba.co.uk/

"Ed Bennett" <ed.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:i89ed.379$EX5.243@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> "Rick Merrill" <RickMerrill@comTHROW.net> wrote in message
> news:yIadnbz3LKmjg-TcRVn-ug@comcast.com...
> > Fan burned out - it's pretty common. Replace it.

>
> The laptop or the fan?
>
> I've spent hours Googling trying to find a replacement (it was sounding
> pretty shoddy before, so I was trying to source a replacement) - but to no
> avail.
>
> Do you have any ideas where to get a replacement fan for this model?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Ed Bennett
>
>




Ed Bennett 10-22-2004 08:12 PM

Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asks to be returned for service
 
"?" <notarealmail@notareallmail.foff> wrote in message
news:HEbed.2517$i02.2114@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...
> http://www.toshiba.co.uk/


LOL

Believe me, Toshiba's site was my first port of call, if I could have found
it there I would not have posted here - the only thing I could find that
they say is to send it to an authorised Toshiba dealer to have any kind of
internal work done apart from new RAM.

I have now found the part at www.micsol.com for $20 + shipping.

--
Ed Bennett



? 10-22-2004 09:37 PM

Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asks to be returned for service
 
From that siteI found 10 shops (all with websites and online ordering if
needed) within 10 miles of my postcode

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.c...&ID=0000001d3e

an look for " click here to find a retailer"
cheers

"Ed Bennett" <ed.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:kQded.561$EX5.83@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> "?" <notarealmail@notareallmail.foff> wrote in message
> news:HEbed.2517$i02.2114@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...
> > http://www.toshiba.co.uk/

>
> LOL
>
> Believe me, Toshiba's site was my first port of call, if I could have

found
> it there I would not have posted here - the only thing I could find that
> they say is to send it to an authorised Toshiba dealer to have any kind of
> internal work done apart from new RAM.
>
> I have now found the part at www.micsol.com for $20 + shipping.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett
>
>




Denise.Elizabeth 03-16-2009 11:01 PM

Did you ever fix the fan?
 
Dear Ed,

I just "inherited" my daughter's Toshiba satellite and it has the same noisy fan problem. Were you ever able to fix it? The fan sounds like the Queen Mary coming into port then it shuts off then it grinds again. It is so noisy. Let me know what you finally did.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.