Velocity Reviews

-   -   assigning drive letters (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t210409-assigning-drive-letters.html)

striker 10-18-2004 07:49 PM

assigning drive letters

Don't ask me how but when I installed a second hard drive the computer
assigned the 2 partitions G and H. I had another hard drive with C and D
plus 2 CD drives that took E and F. Now I've backed up my G and H with
Simple Backup because my G and H drive is going bad. When I installed the
new drive it wants to assign the new drive C and E with the old drive D and
H. I need a direction to a web site to help me figure this out. I can not
copy my backup using Simple Backup because it wants the same drive letters
as before. The original G and H has my Windows 2K installled on it, C and D
is used for saving pictures.

Thanks in advance if you can figure out what I'm trying to do.

Edgie 10-18-2004 08:04 PM

Re: assigning drive letters

Hi, hope this helps.
Click on start>control panel then double click on administrative tools, then
the same for computer management, in the window that opens click on the + by
storage if it has not got a minus sign by it. Then click on disk management
and right click the drive you want to change(you cannot change it to a drive
with the same letter) and choose change drive letter and paths, choose
change. Should be able to work it out from that.
Note you cannot change the boot volume.

Regards
Chris
asdw59@nospamdsl.pipex.com

news:17Vcd.477$%h1.304@newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...

Use.Netuser.de 10-18-2004 08:35 PM

Re: assigning drive letters

"striker" <noway@nohow.com> wrote ...
> Don't ask me how but when I installed a second hard drive the computer
> assigned the 2 partitions G and H. I had another hard drive with C and D
> plus 2 CD drives that took E and F. Now I've backed up my G and H with
> Simple Backup because my G and H drive is going bad. When I installed the
> new drive it wants to assign the new drive C and E with the old drive D

and
> H. I need a direction to a web site to help me figure this out. I can not
> copy my backup using Simple Backup because it wants the same drive letters
> as before. The original G and H has my Windows 2K installled on it, C and

> is used for saving pictures.
>
> Thanks in advance if you can figure out what I'm trying to do.

So wait a minute ....
G & H has your OS installed
C & D is for media

SO which is the boot drive G or H?
You backed up G & H where?
You removed G & H and installed a new drive ... where is your OS?
Now the PC want to assign the new drive as C & E even though C & E are
already assigned!?

I think you need to re-write your post.
As the previous poster stated you can use Computer management to re-assign
drive letters which excludes the primary boot partition.

PC 10-18-2004 08:49 PM

Re: assigning drive letters

"striker" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
news:17Vcd.477$%h1.304@newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
> Don't ask me how but when I installed a second hard drive the computer
> assigned the 2 partitions G and H. I had another hard drive with C and D
> plus 2 CD drives that took E and F. Now I've backed up my G and H with
> Simple Backup because my G and H drive is going bad. When I installed the
> new drive it wants to assign the new drive C and E with the old drive D
> and H. I need a direction to a web site to help me figure this out. I can
> not copy my backup using Simple Backup because it wants the same drive
> letters as before. The original G and H has my Windows 2K installled on
> it, C and D is used for saving pictures.
>
> Thanks in advance if you can figure out what I'm trying to do.

Striker

Your computer assign's drive letters at a hardware level on the following
basis:

Only one hard drive in the system
C = the first partition of the first hard drive
D = the first logical drive on the second partition of the first hard drive.
E= the second logical drive on the second partition or the first logical
drive on the third partition
and so on

For two drives
C= the first partition of the first drive
D= the first partition of the second drive
E= the first logical drive in the second partition of the first drive with a
second partition
F= the second logical drive on the second partition of the first drive with
a second partition

CD Rom drives are then just 'tacked on the end' after the last letter
assigned to the hard drives. Which one comes up first depends on which one
is set to Master and which one Slave if you have two or more CD Roms.

As you can see the situation can get very messy depending on how you
partition your drives and the number of CD drives etc.
Then of course if you're using XP (and 2000 I remember correctly) you have
the delightfull ability to change the letters assigned with 'Administative
Tools' in the control panel (disk management)

Cheers
Paul.