Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to eliminate PopUps (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t210222-how-to-eliminate-popups.html)

Fred M 10-16-2004 03:18 AM

How to eliminate PopUps

When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in the
services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In Netscape 7.2 I
am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred

Duane Arnold 10-16-2004 03:30 AM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

"Fred M" <psai@rcn.com> wrote in news:JJGdnVaKk4FkD-3cRVn-tg@rcn.net:

> When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in
> the services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In
> Netscape 7.2 I am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
> and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
> My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred

You can supplement with the free edition of Pop-up Stopper. You can also
increase the level of the pop-up ad stopper on XP SP2 IE *Stop all Pop-up
(s)*. But that level seems to stop more than pop-up ad(s).

Duane :)

Old Gringo 10-16-2004 03:51 AM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

Fred M wrote:
> When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in the
> services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In Netscape 7.2 I
> am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
> and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
> My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred

Friday, October 15, 2004, 22:51:06 CDT USA
I don't know if this works with XP or not:
http://toolbar.yahoo.com/

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere

mAineAc 10-16-2004 01:25 PM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

Fred M wrote:
> When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in the
> services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In Netscape 7.2 I
> am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
> and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
> My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred

http://mozill.org Install a program called firefox and you won't have to
worry about pop ups anymore. You can also add features that will allow
you to block banners on webistes. Also a plus is that activeX components
won't run so things won't get installed on your computer like the
program that is generating the pop ups you are seeing. Being used to IE
is not a reason to use something so insecure. You will be much happier
in the long run.

mAineAc

Dodo 10-16-2004 04:07 PM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

Sounds like a malicious BHO. Go to the IE Tools Menu and Manage Add-ons to
disable the BHO. It may not be as simple as that, though. Other processes
running on your computer may provide redundancy for the BHO. This would be
indicated by a BHO the re-enables itself, in which case the following may be
useful.

Malicious software is a program or "process" that runs on your computer.
Malicious software is removed in two steps: Terminate the processes and
prevent the processes from restarting. The following information will not
discover and correct all malicious software issues. Before beginning, close
all browser windows and do not launch your web browser until HijackThis has
successfully removed all suspicious BHOs and toolbars. Additional support
concerning any of the procedures in this document is available at
alt.privacy.spyware via an ISP news server or http://groups.google.com/ and
http://forums.net-integration.net/.

Tools

Safe Mode: Pressing F8 repeatedly during system startup should present a
menu with an option to start the computer in safe mode.

Task Manager (Windows 9x/ME): Useful for terminating processes. Press
ctrl-alt-del to view the Task Manager.
Task Manager (Windows 2000/XP): Useful for terminating processes.
Right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager from the context menu to
view the Task Manager.

Services Panel (Windows 2000/XP only): Useful for terminating processes. The
Services Panel is available in the Administrative Tools of the Windows
Control Panel.

Msconfig (Windows 9x/ME/XP only): Select Run from the Start Menu and type
msconfig and click OK to view the System Configuration Utility. The Hide All
Microsoft Services option in the Windows XP System Configuration Utility is
useful for discovering malicious services.

HijackThis: Useful for discovering and correcting the mechanisms by which
malicious processes are started or a browser is directed to unwanted or
malicious content. Available for free download from
http://209.133.47.12/~merijn/downloads.html and many other internet sources.

1) Terminating malicious processes:

Starting your computer in safe mode may prevent malicious processes from
starting, allowing you to skip to step two.

Malicious processes are easily terminated on a Windows 9x/ME machine.
Malicious processes are more difficult to terminate on a Windows 2000/XP
machine because malicious software typically utilizes multiple processes
which provide redundancy for one another.

Windows 9x/ME: Any process in the task manager is suspect, except for
explorer. Terminate suspect processes.

Windows 2000: Any process in the task manager running under a local user
account is suspect, except for explorer.exe. Do not terminate processes
running under a system account, such as System, Local Service, Network
Service or Iwam_[machine name]. Terminate suspect processes. Any process in
the Services Panel is suspect. Malicious services are more likely to not
have a decription. Terminate suspect services. Due to the redundancy
typically provided by malicious software, malicious processes may need to be
terminated several times before all malicious processes are sucessfully
terminated. It is helpful to open the Services Panel and the Task Manager
side-by-side for this purpose. It may be necessary to refresh the Services
Panel often to view the current status of a service. To terminate a service,
it may be necessary to disable the service for a hardware profile or
configure the service to log on with a non-existent account.

Windows XP: Any process in the task manager running under a local user
account is suspect, except for explorer.exe. Do not terminate processes
running under a system account, such as System, Local Service, Network
Service or Iwam_[machine name]. Terminate suspect processes. Any
non-Microsoft service as indicated by Msconfig is suspect. Use the Services
Panel to terminate suspect services. Due to the redundancy typically
provided by malicious software, malicious processes may need to be
terminated several times before all malicious processes are sucessfully
terminated. It is helpful to open the Services Panel and the Task Manager
side-by-side for this purpose. It may be necessary to refresh the Services
Panel often to view the current status of a service. To terminate a service,
it may be necessary to disable the service for a hardware profile or
configure the service to log on with a non-existent account.

2) Prevent the processes from restarting:

Processes are started in two ways: During system startup and during browser
startup. Even after malicious processes are terminated, your browser may be
directed to content which may reinfect your computer.

Run HijackThis and fix suspect items.

The different sections of hijacking possibilities have been separated into
these groups:
R - Registry, StartPage/SearchPage changes
R0 - Changed registry value
R1 - Created registry value
R2 - Created registry key
R3 - Created extra registry value where only one should be
F - IniFiles, autoloading entries
F0 - Changed inifile value
F1 - Created inifile value
F2 - Changed inifile value, mapped to Registry
F3 - Created inifile value, mapped to Registry
N - Netscape/Mozilla StartPage/SearchPage changes
N1 - Change in prefs.js of Netscape 4.x
N2 - Change in prefs.js of Netscape 6
N3 - Change in prefs.js of Netscape 7
N4 - Change in prefs.js of Mozilla
O - Other, several sections which represent:
O1 - Hijack of auto.search.msn.com with Hosts file
O2 - Enumeration of existing MSIE BHO's
O3 - Enumeration of existing MSIE toolbars
O4 - Enumeration of suspicious autoloading Registry entries
O5 - Blocking of loading Internet Options in Control Panel
O6 - Disabling of 'Internet Options' Main tab with Policies
O7 - Disabling of Regedit with Policies
O8 - Extra MSIE context menu items
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitems and buttons
O10 - Breaking of Internet access by New.Net or WebHancer
O11 - Extra options in MSIE 'Advanced' settings tab
O12 - MSIE plugins for file extensions or MIME types
O13 - Hijack of default URL prefixes
O14 - Changing of IERESET.INF
O15 - Trusted Zone Autoadd
O16 - Download Program Files item
O17 - Domain hijack
O18 - Enumeration of existing protocols and filters
O19 - User stylesheet hijack
O20 - AppInit_DLLs autorun Registry value
O21 - ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad (SSODL) autorun Registry key
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler autorun Registry key

Mechanisms providing process startup: O2, O3, O4 and possibly others. Most
other mechanisms are geared toward directing your browser to unwanted or
malicious content.

Install all updates available at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/.

Dodo 10-16-2004 04:37 PM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

Try disabling Third-Party Browser Extensions in Advanced Internet Options.

If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve,
you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are
causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart
Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off.

Gideon Stargrave 10-16-2004 04:38 PM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

mAineAc wrote:
> Fred M wrote:
>
>> When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in
>> the services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In
>> Netscape 7.2 I am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
>> and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
>> My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred
>>

> http://mozill.org Install a program called firefox and you won't have to
> worry about pop ups anymore. You can also add features that will allow
> you to block banners on webistes. Also a plus is that activeX components
> won't run so things won't get installed on your computer like the
> program that is generating the pop ups you are seeing. Being used to IE
> is not a reason to use something so insecure. You will be much happier
> in the long run.
>
> mAineAc

I whole heartedly agree...Firefox, and its extensions, is the greatest
thing in the world...try their email and newsgroup program Thunderbird too.
gideon

Gideon Stargrave 10-16-2004 04:41 PM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

mAineAc wrote:
> Fred M wrote:
>
>> When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in
>> the services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In
>> Netscape 7.2 I am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
>> and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
>> My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred
>>

> http://mozill.org Install a program called firefox and you won't have to
> worry about pop ups anymore. You can also add features that will allow
> you to block banners on webistes. Also a plus is that activeX components
> won't run so things won't get installed on your computer like the
> program that is generating the pop ups you are seeing. Being used to IE
> is not a reason to use something so insecure. You will be much happier
> in the long run.
>
> mAineAc

I whole heartedly agree...Firefox, and its extensions, is the greatest
thing in the world...try their email and newsgroup program Thunderbird
too. btw the address is actually...

http://www.mozilla.org/

gideon

DC 10-16-2004 04:43 PM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

Dodo wrote:
> Try disabling Third-Party Browser Extensions in Advanced Internet Options.

[...]

Try quoting, dammit. You'll like it, trust me.

http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a

DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Plato 10-16-2004 05:54 PM

Re: How to eliminate PopUps

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#3