Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hard drives - Can I mix SATA and non-SATA? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t209657-hard-drives-can-i-mix-sata-and-non-sata.html)

John Smith 10-07-2004 10:18 AM

I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
SATA drive?
Thanks.

SPAMHATER 10-07-2004 11:31 AM

Re: Hard drives - Can I mix SATA and non-SATA?

"John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
>SATA drive?
> Thanks.

Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

SPAMHATER

DevilsPGD 10-07-2004 12:06 PM

SPAMHATER wrote:
>>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
>>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
>>SATA drive?

> Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

Actually that is not correct -- This rule only applies to devices on the
same IDE cable (which isn't applicable to SATA at all, since you only
put one device per cable)

It will tend to apply if you're using RAID-1 or RAID-5 between drives of
varying speeds, but this isn't an especially common configuration.

--
The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have
their own.

Jimi 10-07-2004 01:42 PM

Re: Hard drives - Can I mix SATA and non-SATA?

Well put across

John Smith 10-07-2004 03:57 PM

"SPAMHATER" <elvispresley164nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
>>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with
>>a SATA drive?
>> Thanks.
>>

> Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd
>
> SPAMHATER

--------------
OK, Thanks for comments.
John

SPAMHATER 10-08-2004 06:51 AM

Re: Hard drives - Can I mix SATA and non-SATA?

"DevilsPGD" <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> schreef in bericht
> SPAMHATER wrote:
>>>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
>>>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with
>>>a SATA drive?

>> Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

> Actually that is not correct -- This rule only applies to devices on the
> same IDE cable (which isn't applicable to SATA at all, since you only put
> one device per cable)
>
> It will tend to apply if you're using RAID-1 or RAID-5 between drives of
> varying speeds, but this isn't an especially common configuration.
>
> --
> The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their
> own.

Sorry little error of mine :-)

SPAMHATER