Velocity Reviews

-   -   Server messing up... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t209609-server-messing-up.html)

dadiOH 10-06-2004 04:03 PM

Server messing up...

I use VerizonDSL as an ISP and have a web page there. On that page are
three download links...
one is a zip file
one is a standard Windows help file (*.hlp)
one is a standard Windows help contents file (*.cnt)

The link for the zip works fine but the *.hlp and *.cnt files are served as
*.htm; i.e., instead of downloading they are opened as text in the browser.
If right clicked and "save target as" they download as htm files. If those
files have their extensions changed to the correct one after downloading
they are fine. Anyone know why Verizon serves them as *.htm and how to fix
it? All worked fine until a month or so ago...

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

°Mike° 10-06-2004 05:45 PM

Re: Server messing up...

Some file types are regarded as dangerous; serve
them all up inside of .zip files.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:03:01 -0400, in
<2sij9cF1ic3aeU1@uni-berlin.de>
dadiOH scrawled:

>I use VerizonDSL as an ISP and have a web page there. On that page are
>three download links...
> one is a zip file
> one is a standard Windows help file (*.hlp)
> one is a standard Windows help contents file (*.cnt)
>
>The link for the zip works fine but the *.hlp and *.cnt files are served as
>*.htm; i.e., instead of downloading they are opened as text in the browser.
>If right clicked and "save target as" they download as htm files. If those
>files have their extensions changed to the correct one after downloading
>they are fine. Anyone know why Verizon serves them as *.htm and how to fix
>it? All worked fine until a month or so ago...

--
Basic computer maintenance

Dan Evans 10-06-2004 06:02 PM

Re: Server messing up...

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
> I use VerizonDSL as an ISP and have a web page there. On that page are
> three download links...
> one is a zip file
> one is a standard Windows help file (*.hlp)
> one is a standard Windows help contents file (*.cnt)
>
> The link for the zip works fine but the *.hlp and *.cnt files are served

as
> *.htm; i.e., instead of downloading they are opened as text in the

browser.
> If right clicked and "save target as" they download as htm files. If

those
> files have their extensions changed to the correct one after downloading
> they are fine. Anyone know why Verizon serves them as *.htm and how to

fix
> it? All worked fine until a month or so ago...

Have you recently upgraded Internet Explorer? One of IEs tricks to to ignore
the mime type sent by the server, and to decide if it (IE) can display the
content itself. The other possiblility is that Verizon have altered the
configuration on the server so that .hlp and .cnt files are sent as
text/plain or text/html

Dan