Velocity Reviews

-   -   AVG Professional (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t209502-avg-professional.html)

Emrys Davies 10-04-2004 11:50 PM

AVG Professional

For years I had a free version of AVG with which I was quite happy.

I then bought AVG professional because of its updating notification
e-mails and since then it has been a real nightmare.

It corrupts my e-mail client by taking over with its 127.0.0.1
insertions into my pop3 and smtp accounts and despite many questions of
AVG technical support I am still having turmoil with its software.

Uninstall and re-install is the order of the day, but so far nothing has
improved. To the contrary I have had 'Mail Blocking at the Server' and
'The Page cannot Be Displayed' errors, all of which I have resolved.

I have had a computer for five years and this is the worst experience
that I have had with regard to any software.

Now, before I pull the plug on this software, my main question to
posters is whether anyone else is experiencing my sort of difficulties
and whether or not I can do anything to resolve this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Jerry G. 10-05-2004 05:38 AM

Re: AVG Professional

I have one machine here that is running the AVG free version. It has had it
installed for a fair number of years, and there are no problems. I have a
number of friends that have been using the free version of AVG for many
years, and have no faults.

You should make sure that there are not excessive unused files in the system
cache, and main cache for Internet Explorer. I was having some problems with
one machine where Outlook Express would slow down, and even stop responding
at times. It turned out that there were many thousands of unused cache
files, that were causing problems.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

Hamman 10-05-2004 06:27 PM

Re: AVG Professional

"Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> For years I had a free version of AVG with which I was quite happy.
>
> I then bought AVG professional because of its updating notification
> e-mails and since then it has been a real nightmare.
>
> It corrupts my e-mail client by taking over with its 127.0.0.1
> insertions into my pop3 and smtp accounts and despite many questions of
> AVG technical support I am still having turmoil with its software.
>
> Uninstall and re-install is the order of the day, but so far nothing has
> improved. To the contrary I have had 'Mail Blocking at the Server' and
> 'The Page cannot Be Displayed' errors, all of which I have resolved.
>
> I have had a computer for five years and this is the worst experience
> that I have had with regard to any software.
>
> Now, before I pull the plug on this software, my main question to
> posters is whether anyone else is experiencing my sort of difficulties
> and whether or not I can do anything to resolve this problem?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.

Dump it. AVG misses tonnes of things that commerical packages will find.

For example, a server i had, after 6 months of 'hassle free' AVG action, i
installed Norton Corp v9.

43 items found... not impressive.

hamman

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9_Chris_=AE?= 10-06-2004 12:26 AM

Re: AVG Professional

Hamman wrote:
> "Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>For years I had a free version of AVG with which I was quite happy.
>>
>>I then bought AVG professional because of its updating notification
>>e-mails and since then it has been a real nightmare.
>>
>>It corrupts my e-mail client by taking over with its 127.0.0.1
>>insertions into my pop3 and smtp accounts and despite many questions of
>>AVG technical support I am still having turmoil with its software.
>>
>>Uninstall and re-install is the order of the day, but so far nothing has
>>improved. To the contrary I have had 'Mail Blocking at the Server' and
>>'The Page cannot Be Displayed' errors, all of which I have resolved.
>>
>>I have had a computer for five years and this is the worst experience
>>that I have had with regard to any software.
>>
>>Now, before I pull the plug on this software, my main question to
>>posters is whether anyone else is experiencing my sort of difficulties
>>and whether or not I can do anything to resolve this problem?
>>
>>Thanks a lot.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Emrys Davies.
>>

> Dump it. AVG misses tonnes of things that commerical packages will find.
>
> For example, a server i had, after 6 months of 'hassle free' AVG action, i
> installed Norton Corp v9.
>
> 43 items found... not impressive.
>
> hamman

AVG Free and Symantec/Norton AV Corp are completely different.
Some "things(virus or no)" attack specific exploits of windows or
applications depending on the win version and whats installed.

For the most part, AVG free is only a desktop AV, Only the PRO would
probably access those other "items" which the average home noob user
wouldnt probably need or have installed, which is partly why you have to
pay for Corp editions or pro versions.

Nortons/Symantec may not miss much, but it sure as hell cant fix ****.

As far as the problem goes, your supposed to uninstall any AV software
before installing the Pro version, its annoying how it changes all the
settings, but you can disable and reset them after install...

You still wasted your maoney tho.

Thats my 2cents anyhoo.

WormWood 10-06-2004 09:08 PM

Re: AVG Professional

Do you know how to Quote the text when replying? If not, please learn.