Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't connect to FTP servers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t208981-cant-connect-to-ftp-servers.html)

zybbok 09-27-2004 02:33 AM

Can't connect to FTP servers

Hello Folks,
I'm trying to connect to various FTP sites using Turbo FTP.
I'm using Windows XP Pro but my computer is not networked.
I'm using the standard firewall that comes with Internet Explorer.
I'm having great difficulty connecting and the help pages in the program say
that
because I'm using a firewall this is what I have to do:

If you are behind a firewall, go to the Firewall tab in the Options dialog
to configure TurboFTP to be fit for firewall.
You'll need to get information about your firewall from your network
administrator.

I suppose I'm my own administrator!
Can anyone help me with the information that I need?
Thanx In Advance

Duane Arnold 09-27-2004 03:15 AM

Re: Can't connect to FTP servers

"zybbok" <zybbok@nildram.co.uk> wrote in
news:41577e78$0$52010$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net :

> Hello Folks,
> I'm trying to connect to various FTP sites using Turbo FTP.
> I'm using Windows XP Pro but my computer is not networked.
> I'm using the standard firewall that comes with Internet Explorer.
> I'm having great difficulty connecting and the help pages in the
> program say that
> because I'm using a firewall this is what I have to do:
>
> If you are behind a firewall, go to the Firewall tab in the Options
> dialog to configure TurboFTP to be fit for firewall.
> You'll need to get information about your firewall from your network
> administrator.
>
> I suppose I'm my own administrator!
> Can anyone help me with the information that I need?
> Thanx In Advance

You'll need to open the inbound port(s) on the FW for the FTP software.
You should be able to search Google for the FTP software to determine the
inbound ports you'll need to open. When you're finished doing the FTP,
you should close the ports.

http://tinyurl.com/5nmec

Duane :)

Duane Arnold 09-27-2004 03:29 AM

Re: Can't connect to FTP servers

"zybbok" <zybbok@nildram.co.uk> wrote in
news:41577e78$0$52010$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net :

> Hello Folks,
> I'm trying to connect to various FTP sites using Turbo FTP.
> I'm using Windows XP Pro but my computer is not networked.
> I'm using the standard firewall that comes with Internet Explorer.
> I'm having great difficulty connecting and the help pages in the
> program say that
> because I'm using a firewall this is what I have to do:
>
> If you are behind a firewall, go to the Firewall tab in the Options
> dialog to configure TurboFTP to be fit for firewall.
> You'll need to get information about your firewall from your network
> administrator.
>
> I suppose I'm my own administrator!
> Can anyone help me with the information that I need?
> Thanx In Advance

Sorry this is a good link.

http://tinyurl.com/5takc

Duane :)

Unk 09-27-2004 03:50 AM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 03:33:59 +0100, "zybbok" <zybbok@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello Folks,
>I'm trying to connect to various FTP sites using Turbo FTP.
>I'm using Windows XP Pro but my computer is not networked.
>I'm using the standard firewall that comes with Internet Explorer.
>I'm having great difficulty connecting and the help pages in the program say
>that
>because I'm using a firewall this is what I have to do:
>
>If you are behind a firewall, go to the Firewall tab in the Options dialog
>to configure TurboFTP to be fit for firewall.
>You'll need to get information about your firewall from your network
>administrator.
>
>I suppose I'm my own administrator!
>Can anyone help me with the information that I need?
>Thanx In Advance

You need to allow ports 20 and 21 for FTP.

How to Disable the XP Internet Connection Firewall: (NOT recomended!)
Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, Local Area
Connections, General tab, Properties button, Advanced tab, and uncheck the
box, "Protect my computer and network....... etc", click "OK"

Description of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320855

HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283673

HOW TO: Open Ports in the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp

Understanding Windows Firewall - Sp2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...2_wfintro.mspx

D 09-27-2004 05:09 AM

Re: Can't connect to FTP servers

another thought:

some FTP servers do not allow 'passive mode' connections. this setting can
be found in Internet Explorer: tools/options

Jim Berwick 09-27-2004 07:39 AM

Re: Can't connect to FTP servers

Duane Arnold <notme@notme.com> wrote in

> You'll need to open the inbound port(s) on the FW for the FTP
> software. You should be able to search Google for the FTP software to
> determine the inbound ports you'll need to open. When you're finished
> doing the FTP, you should close the ports.

Unless I'm seriously mistaken here, I've /never/ had to disable the XP
built in firewall to connect to FTP servers. Also, you should /not/ have
to open up ports 20 and 21 inbound to connect to an FTP server, only if you
are hosting one.

Duane Arnold 09-27-2004 10:17 AM

"Jim Berwick" <jimb@snip.net> wrote in message
> Duane Arnold <notme@notme.com> wrote in
>
>> You'll need to open the inbound port(s) on the FW for the FTP
>> software. You should be able to search Google for the FTP software to
>> determine the inbound ports you'll need to open. When you're finished
>> doing the FTP, you should close the ports.
>>

> Unless I'm seriously mistaken here, I've /never/ had to disable the XP
> built in firewall to connect to FTP servers. Also, you should /not/ have
> to open up ports 20 and 21 inbound to connect to an FTP server, only if
> you
> are hosting one.

I have never used such software and can only go by what the OP posted. Yes,
I have port forwarded ports 20 and 21 on the router for FTP on IIS when I
have needed to open the ports for the FTP site.

Duane :)

Godfrey Barefoot 09-27-2004 10:21 AM

Re: Can't connect to FTP servers

Duane Arnold, the godless, stilly shop assistant, and officer of the parish
who controls the length of stay of strangers in the village, excreted:

But you'll ****ing post anyway, right, ****head?

--
You shuddering, supercilious, flabby honkie.

Duane Arnold 09-27-2004 11:54 AM

Godfrey Barefoot wrote:

> Duane Arnold, the godless, stilly shop assistant, and officer of the
> parish who controls the length of stay of strangers in the village,
> excreted:
>
>> "Jim Berwick" <jimb@snip.net> wrote in message
>>> Duane Arnold <notme@notme.com> wrote in

>>> Unless I'm seriously mistaken here, I've /never/ had to disable the
>>> XP built in firewall to connect to FTP servers. Also, you should
>>> /not/ have to open up ports 20 and 21 inbound to connect to an FTP
>>> server, only if you
>>> are hosting one.

>> I have never used such software

> But you'll ****ing post anyway, right, ****head?

K-Bitch you go to sleep on the rag and you wake up on the rag. You are a
24/7 365 on the rag *bitch*. Do you know what you need K-Bitch? You need a
K-Man that will bend your knee caps for you a few times and make you
quiver. That will straighten your ass out!
--
Duane :)

I run MS XP Pro and SuSE Linux Pro and I like both of them.

Abd-al-Rahman al-Arwa 09-27-2004 12:35 PM

Re: Can't connect to FTP servers

Duane Arnold, <Notme@NotMe.com>, the catatonic, work-shy skunk, and postal
service worker, entreated:

--
You baying, tuberculous, in disrepair malt-worm.