Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need Inexpensive but reliable DVD-RW+/- media (US) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t208902-need-inexpensive-but-reliable-dvd-rw-media-us.html)

Arawak 09-25-2004 09:22 PM

Need Inexpensive but reliable DVD-RW+/- media (US)

I have been purchasing the cheap GQ DVD-RW+/- disks from Frys but end
up with a lot of movies that hang in the middle or just end up with
coasters. Since I am on a student's budget, I am hoping someone could
suggest any inexpensive brands which are less prone to errors.
I have the Plextor DVDR PX-708A and Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-8112S burners.
Where is best place to purchase them?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Arawak

Armchair Einstein 09-26-2004 01:08 AM

Re: Need Inexpensive but reliable DVD-RW+/- media (US)

"Arawak" <fake_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been purchasing the cheap GQ DVD-RW+/- disks from Frys but end
> up with a lot of movies that hang in the middle or just end up with
> coasters. Since I am on a student's budget, I am hoping someone could
> suggest any inexpensive brands which are less prone to errors.
> I have the Plextor DVDR PX-708A and Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-8112S burners.
> Where is best place to purchase them?
>
> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
> Arawak

Here is an excellent price on some premium DVD+R discs. They are not
rewriteable (+RW), but they are top quality Riteks. If you are recording
movies then these are perfect. Just make sure your burners can use +R book
type.

You can buy 100 of these for $32 (just went up from $27) after rebate.
Great deal. Stay away from "cheapy DVD discs." And when I say "cheap" I
don't mean inexpensive. I mean cheap quality. The dyes wear out way too
fast.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...132-344&DEPA=0

why? 09-26-2004 10:10 AM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:22:53 -0700, Arawak wrote:

>I have been purchasing the cheap GQ DVD-RW+/- disks from Frys but end
>up with a lot of movies that hang in the middle or just end up with

For DVD-RW 2.4x have had good results with the Packard Bell brand.

As for +R / -R types, tried several unbranded DVD +/- R from x1 to x2.4
and won't use any again. Best results have been Maxell +R 1-4x and for
the last 3 months have only been using Verbatim 1-4x -R.

<snip>

Me

foolinyu 09-26-2004 06:28 PM

Re: Need Inexpensive but reliable DVD-RW+/- media (US)

"Arawak" <fake_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been purchasing the cheap GQ DVD-RW+/- disks from Frys but end
> up with a lot of movies that hang in the middle or just end up with
> coasters. Since I am on a student's budget, I am hoping someone could
> suggest any inexpensive brands which are less prone to errors.
> I have the Plextor DVDR PX-708A and Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-8112S burners.
> Where is best place to purchase them?
>
> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
> Arawak

Don't know about the Plextor, but my Lite-On doesn't like GQ media. Had to
do deep analysis, restrict burns to less than disk capacity and burn at
slower speed. On the other hand, my Pioneer burns the GQs at full speed
faultlessly. Take the GQ back to Fly's and get you money back.

Armchair Einstein 09-27-2004 03:15 AM

Re: Need Inexpensive but reliable DVD-RW+/- media (US)

Get rid of that crappy Lite-On. I had one (LDW-851S) and it sucked hardcore.

Got me a NEC 3500A DL 16X +/-R/RW and it rocks hardcore.