Velocity Reviews

-   -   Raid Drives (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t208063-raid-drives.html)

KerplunKuK 09-12-2004 01:08 PM

Raid Drives

Is it ok to run CD drives on raid, or is it better to use HDD?
Ideally I would like to have a cd writer on the raid channel, but I would
like to know if this would effect performance?

All help appreciated.

--
Replace [dot] to reply
Bolts 03/04 Stanley Cup Champs

Ingeborg 09-12-2004 01:22 PM

Re: Raid Drives

"KerplunKuK" <kerplunkuk79@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:41444ad6$0$20249
$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com:

> Is it ok to run CD drives on raid, or is it better to use HDD?
> Ideally I would like to have a cd writer on the raid channel, but I would
> like to know if this would effect performance?
>
> All help appreciated.

It's impossible to use a CD in a raid configuration. But if you mean that
you want to use a raid card as an ordinairy IDE card, it's no problem, and
I don't see a reason why it would effect performance.

Jim Berwick 09-12-2004 01:28 PM

Re: Raid Drives

"KerplunKuK" <kerplunkuk79@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:41444ad6$0$20249
$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com:

> Is it ok to run CD drives on raid, or is it better to use HDD?
> Ideally I would like to have a cd writer on the raid channel, but I would
> like to know if this would effect performance?

Most RAID Controller manufacturers recommend against anything but hard
drives on the RAID channel.

KerplunKuK 09-12-2004 01:55 PM

Re: Raid Drives

Ingeborg wrote:
> "KerplunKuK" <kerplunkuk79@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:41444ad6$0$20249
> $cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com:
>
>> Is it ok to run CD drives on raid, or is it better to use HDD?
>> Ideally I would like to have a cd writer on the raid channel, but I
>> would like to know if this would effect performance?
>>
>> All help appreciated.
>>

> It's impossible to use a CD in a raid configuration. But if you mean
> that you want to use a raid card as an ordinairy IDE card, it's no
> problem, and I don't see a reason why it would effect performance.

Sorry yes, that was what I had meant, I want to use the raid card as and IDE
controller.