Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   norton anti virus (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t207793-norton-anti-virus.html)

P_J_G 09-08-2004 09:16 PM

norton anti virus
 
I have recently installed linux on my system and am doing a dual boot
with windows xp. The problem is norton anti virus keeps telling me
that my bootloader is a virus and tries to repair it (bloodhound.mbr)
problem is that the anti virus keeps killing the MBR so that my
computer will not boot (although I know how get my computer to boot
again), Is there any way of stoping the anti virus damaging my boot
record. I don't want to stop bloodhound virus reconition unless I
relly have to.

thanks in advance.

Mike 09-08-2004 09:17 PM

Re: norton anti virus
 
Get rid of the Norton virus that you've installed.

KAV (Kaspersky)
http://www.kaspersky.com/


On 8 Sep 2004 14:16:12 -0700, in
<5ec6187a.0409081316.1737a6e0@posting.google.com >
P_J_G scrawled:

>I have recently installed linux on my system and am doing a dual boot
>with windows xp. The problem is norton anti virus keeps telling me
>that my bootloader is a virus and tries to repair it (bloodhound.mbr)
>problem is that the anti virus keeps killing the MBR so that my
>computer will not boot (although I know how get my computer to boot
>again), Is there any way of stoping the anti virus damaging my boot
>record. I don't want to stop bloodhound virus reconition unless I
>relly have to.
>
>thanks in advance.


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

Smoker 09-08-2004 10:04 PM

Re: norton anti virus
 

"Mike" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:414276dc.21411031@localhost.dot.net...
> Get rid of the Norton virus that you've installed.
>

Agreed, Norton is the worst virus you will ever pay for.

> KAV (Kaspersky)
> http://www.kaspersky.com/
>
>
> On 8 Sep 2004 14:16:12 -0700, in
> <5ec6187a.0409081316.1737a6e0@posting.google.com >
> P_J_G scrawled:
>
> >I have recently installed linux on my system and am doing a dual boot
> >with windows xp. The problem is norton anti virus keeps telling me
> >that my bootloader is a virus and tries to repair it (bloodhound.mbr)
> >problem is that the anti virus keeps killing the MBR so that my
> >computer will not boot (although I know how get my computer to boot
> >again), Is there any way of stoping the anti virus damaging my boot
> >record. I don't want to stop bloodhound virus reconition unless I
> >relly have to.
> >
> >thanks in advance.

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html




Buffalo 09-08-2004 10:37 PM

Re: norton anti virus
 

"P_J_G" <P_J_G@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:5ec6187a.0409081316.1737a6e0@posting.google.c om...
> I have recently installed linux on my system and am doing a dual

boot
> with windows xp. The problem is norton anti virus keeps telling me
> that my bootloader is a virus and tries to repair it

(bloodhound.mbr)
> problem is that the anti virus keeps killing the MBR so that my
> computer will not boot (although I know how get my computer to boot
> again), Is there any way of stoping the anti virus damaging my boot
> record. I don't want to stop bloodhound virus reconition unless I
> relly have to.
>
> thanks in advance.


Hopefully someone will answer your question properly.
Have you tried emailing Symantec?
Try going to the Symantec website and using their FAQs.
It should workable.
Have you tried setting it so that Norton first asks you what to do
(Options) before it does anything?
Hopefully someone who has had the same experience will have the
answer.
PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
(although it may be reasonable advice).



=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 09-08-2004 11:33 PM

Re: norton anti virus
 
Buffalo wrote:
>

<snip>
> PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
> (although it may be reasonable advice).


"may be reasonable" but "really suck"? What's wrong with letting someone
who doesn't know better than all the marketing hype that Norton
Antivirus is a piece of ****?


Old Gringo 09-08-2004 11:48 PM

Re: norton anti virus
 
Rgr wrote:
> Buffalo wrote:
>
>>

> <snip>
>
>> PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
>> (although it may be reasonable advice).

>
>
> "may be reasonable" but "really suck"? What's wrong with letting someone
> who doesn't know better than all the marketing hype that Norton
> Antivirus is a piece of ****?
>

Who does have the best Anti Virus protection program?

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

roach 09-09-2004 12:34 AM

Re: norton anti virus
 

"Old Gringo" <oldgringo747-jet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uTM%c.17994$48.4091@newssvr22.news.prodigy.co m...
> Rgr wrote:
>> Buffalo wrote:
>>
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
>>> (although it may be reasonable advice).

>>
>>
>> "may be reasonable" but "really suck"? What's wrong with letting someone
>> who doesn't know better than all the marketing hype that Norton
>> Antivirus is a piece of ****?
>>

> Who does have the best Anti Virus protection program?
>
> --

I find mcafees security suite 8 has everything norton has and more
with hardly any resource loss

roach



Zebud 09-09-2004 01:36 AM

Re: norton anti virus
 

"Old Gringo" <oldgringo747-jet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uTM%c.17994$48.4091@newssvr22.news.prodigy.co m...

> Who does have the best Anti Virus protection program?


I have found AVG to be a good program have not been infected since
installing it 2 years now.



=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 09-09-2004 04:17 AM

Re: norton anti virus
 
Old Gringo wrote:

> Who does have the best Anti Virus protection program?
>


My opinion is eTrust is still top dog, although there's a few things
about the newest version I'm not exactly thrilled with. Kaspersky looks
awfully good too. For a free check up from time to time I really like
Trend Housecall.

Mike 09-09-2004 06:12 PM

Re: norton anti virus
 
Answers like yours suck even more and are,
frankly, laughable. BWAHAHAHA.....etc.


On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:37:29 GMT, in
<JQL%c.1211$MQ5.1164@attbi_s52>
"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> scrawled:

<snip>

>PS: Answers like Get rid of Norton really suck
>(although it may be reasonable advice).


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.