Velocity Reviews

-   -   Anybody else having any ntl email problems? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t207007-anybody-else-having-any-ntl-email-problems.html)

Broons Bane 08-29-2004 05:03 PM

Anybody else having any ntl email problems?

For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
every minute from outlook.

ntl claim it is not a problem their end!

I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via yahoo I
get the same problem.

God save us from ntl! (And I'm a devout atheist).

Thanks in anticipation :)

Mamdouh Ding 08-29-2004 05:20 PM

Re: Anybody else having any ntl email problems?

Broons Bane wrote:

> For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
> account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
> every minute from outlook.

> ntl claim it is not a problem their end!

> I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via
> yahoo I
> get the same problem.

Strange, I dont have the problem.

Then again, I am not stupid enough to go with NTHell

Loz 08-29-2004 05:26 PM

"Broons Bane" <nochance@youmustbejoking.com> wrote in message
> For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
> account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
> every minute from outlook.
>

> ntl claim it is not a problem their end!
>

> I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via yahoo I
> get the same problem.
>

> God save us from ntl! (And I'm a devout atheist).
>

> Thanks in anticipation :)

I'm on NTL and my email with them works most of the time. Just one thought,
if you dont get email that often why check every minute? My settings on OE
check every 30 mins and that is enough for me and that will probably cut
down the amount of time you get errors.

Lawrence

kipper 08-29-2004 07:16 PM

Re: Anybody else having any ntl email problems?

I'm with NTL and I don't have any problems with my e-mail

Broons Bane 08-29-2004 09:16 PM

"Loz" <loz@upsd.co.uk> wrote in message news:2pehueFjcgtfU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Broons Bane" <nochance@youmustbejoking.com> wrote in message
> > For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
> > account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
> > every minute from outlook.
> >

> > ntl claim it is not a problem their end!
> >

> > I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via yahoo

> > get the same problem.
> >

> > God save us from ntl! (And I'm a devout atheist).
> >

> > Thanks in anticipation :)

> I'm on NTL and my email with them works most of the time. Just one

thought,
> if you dont get email that often why check every minute? My settings on OE
> check every 30 mins and that is enough for me and that will probably cut
> down the amount of time you get errors.
>
> Lawrence

I do get it pretty often, but you are right checking less often cuts down
the irritation factor.

poster 08-29-2004 09:32 PM

On 29 Aug 2004 in alt.internet.providers.uk, "Broons Bane" wrote:

>I do get it pretty often, but you are right checking less often
>cuts down the irritation factor.

If you use a mail client which handles IMAP you could always get a free
mail account from fastmail.fm, which offers lots of other domain names
(so you're not stuck with 'something@fastmail.fm') and if you ever
choose to move from NTL the mail address would still work OK.

DieSea 08-29-2004 10:57 PM

Re: Anybody else having any ntl email problems?

"Broons Bane" <nochance@youmustbejoking.com> wrote in message
> For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
> account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
> every minute from outlook.
>

> ntl claim it is not a problem their end!
>

> I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via yahoo I
> get the same problem.
>

> God save us from ntl! (And I'm a devout atheist).
>

> Thanks in anticipation :)

Not any more , NTL got dumped , lock stock and barrel , so no problems with
email , I'm just getting fed up with their incorrect Bills now , why I
should pay 32.50 for phone calls and phone only line rental beats me
especially when out going calls are blocked and the phone is only used for
incoming calls.

Think NTL are going out through the door double quick time , I'm more than
willing to take legal action . I've made sure I've got proof to back it up.

Diesea

Broons Bane 08-30-2004 04:28 PM

Re: Anybody else having any ntl email problems?

Thanks all :)

Paul Harper 08-30-2004 07:55 PM

Re: Anybody else having any ntl email problems?

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:03:09 +0100, "Broons Bane"
<nochance@youmustbejoking.com> wrote:

>God save us from ntl!

Sorry, but serves people right for using them for anything other than
connectivity.

I use them for this, and don't have any issues at all. Mail, webspace,
newsgroups, domain names etc. are all with other companies with whom I
don't have issues either.

As a telecoms company, NTL are fine. As an all-round ISL, they're
shite.

Adjust expectations and use the strengths.

Paul.

--
.. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
.. JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.

Broons Bane 08-31-2004 05:13 PM

"Paul Harper" <paul@harper.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:03:09 +0100, "Broons Bane"
> <nochance@youmustbejoking.com> wrote:
>
> >God save us from ntl!

> Sorry, but serves people right for using them for anything other than
> connectivity.
>
> I use them for this, and don't have any issues at all. Mail, webspace,
> newsgroups, domain names etc. are all with other companies with whom I
> don't have issues either.
>
> As a telecoms company, NTL are fine. As an all-round ISL, they're
> shite.
>
> Adjust expectations and use the strengths.
>
> Paul.
>
> --
> . A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
> . JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable

front.
> Never have so many jumped-up fanboys done so little, with so much, for

so long."
> . EMail: Unless invited to, don't. Your message is likely to be

automatically deleted.

I agree with you completely, but ntl is definitely the cheapest for me. I
use the free phone line as my only phone line, thus to rent a bt telephone
line and go ADSL would work out much more expensive (I don't use my phone a
lot, so call savings aren't much of an issue).