Velocity Reviews

-   -   Two hard drives (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t206851-two-hard-drives.html)

Harry 08-27-2004 03:40 AM

Two hard drives

on my pc, one master the other the slave how do you boot into the slave, I
thought I would have been given the option at boot up.
win xp

Thank you Harry

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 08-27-2004 05:34 AM

Re: Two hard drives

Harry wrote:
> on my pc, one master the other the slave how do you boot into the slave, I
> thought I would have been given the option at boot up.
> win xp
>
> Thank you Harry

You may have to switch the master/slave settings around. Some BIOS' will
allow booting from hard disks other than the C: drive, not many. If you
had installed (for instance) Win98 first and then installed XP to the
slave, you would have a boot manager to steer toward the other drive.

Third party boot managers will also give the capability to boot from
many different OS's, even on other drives. For example:
http://www.osloader.com/

Dodo 08-27-2004 07:17 AM

Re: Two hard drives

You should be able to change boot drives in the motherboard bios.

If you want to be prompted at boot time:
Change the bios to boot from the xp volume and edit the boot.ini file to
include win98.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...b8ad17.xml.asp
Also, your bios may have some sort of mechanism for prompting you for a boot
choice.

Harry 08-27-2004 08:43 AM

Re: Two hard drives

"Dodo" <dodo@no.fly> wrote in message
news:a8dab$412ee015$43663cd2$30649@msgid.meganewss ervers.com...
> You should be able to change boot drives in the motherboard bios.
>
> If you want to be prompted at boot time:
> Change the bios to boot from the xp volume and edit the boot.ini file to
> include win98.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/ddtools/hh/
ddtools/BootIni_08d86912-57de-439d-b3d5-2a3ad7b8ad17.xml.asp
> Also, your bios may have some sort of mechanism for prompting you for a

boot
> choice.
>
> That's what I thought but I will have to have another look.

Thanks Dodo and Roger.

Harry

Harry 08-27-2004 09:00 AM

Re: Two hard drives

"Rgr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
> Harry wrote:
> > on my pc, one master the other the slave how do you boot into the slave,

> > thought I would have been given the option at boot up.
> > win xp
> >
> > Thank you Harry

> You may have to switch the master/slave settings around. Some BIOS' will
> allow booting from hard disks other than the C: drive, not many. If you
> had installed (for instance) Win98 first and then installed XP to the
> slave, you would have a boot manager to steer toward the other drive.
>
> Third party boot managers will also give the capability to boot from
> many different OS's, even on other drives. For example:
> http://www.osloader.com/

Just tried osloader just what I was looking for.

Thanks Harry

xmp 08-27-2004 12:24 PM

Re: Two hard drives

Harry wrote:

> on my pc, one master the other the slave how do you boot into the slave, I
> thought I would have been given the option at boot up.
> win xp
>
> Thank you Harry

I use BootItNG or GRUB, but I boot more than Windows. BootNow plus
BootItNG will allow you to click an icon within Windows and boot into
the next OS.

michael