Velocity Reviews

-   -   pc won't boot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t206556-pc-wont-boot.html)

Sab 08-22-2004 08:22 PM

pc won't boot

Hi
A friend of mine has a big problem with his pc: it won't boot anymore, not
even perform the memory test.
I tried to boot with everything unplugged (sound, network, drives...) but
still nothing. Except once the screen went on and we saw the video card
specs (Nvidia GeForce 128M) that usually come before the bios start up and
memory check, but now it won't even do that anymore. Only the fans
(processor and power supply) are working.
I checked the video card in my pc and ti works fine, so did the memory
sticks and the hard drive (except WinXP doesn't start). I really don't what
the problem could be. We need your help, please !!!!!

Config:
IBM motherboard (I don't know which one, I can't identify it) - Intel
chipset (I think)
Pentium4
NVidia GeForce 128 video card
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 sound card
Maxtor 7200rpm 30G hard drive
256M + 2x128M PC133 memory

Hamman 08-22-2004 08:59 PM

Re: pc won't boot

"Sab" <sabph@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> A friend of mine has a big problem with his pc: it won't boot anymore, not
> even perform the memory test.
> I tried to boot with everything unplugged (sound, network, drives...) but
> still nothing. Except once the screen went on and we saw the video card
> specs (Nvidia GeForce 128M) that usually come before the bios start up and
> memory check, but now it won't even do that anymore. Only the fans
> (processor and power supply) are working.
> I checked the video card in my pc and ti works fine, so did the memory
> sticks and the hard drive (except WinXP doesn't start). I really don't
> what
> the problem could be. We need your help, please !!!!!
>
> Config:
> IBM motherboard (I don't know which one, I can't identify it) - Intel
> chipset (I think)
> Pentium4
> NVidia GeForce 128 video card
> SoundBlaster Live 5.1 sound card
> Maxtor 7200rpm 30G hard drive
> 256M + 2x128M PC133 memory

Well that doesnt leave much, so try the CPU and PSU in another PC, or
alternate components in that PC.

Final stop is the motherboard.

hamman

Kenny 08-22-2004 09:46 PM

Re: pc won't boot

First thing I'd try is changing the m/b battery.

--

Kenny

Sab 08-23-2004 08:00 PM

Re: pc won't boot

I did that and it still doesn't work.
I was wondering if I can test the power supply on my pc: it's a 400W PSU and
my pc uses a 200W or 250W PSU.

Sab 08-24-2004 03:07 PM

Re: pc won't boot

Nobody knows if I can try that?