Velocity Reviews

-   -   Corrupted Hard Drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t206540-corrupted-hard-drive.html)

Zinzan 08-22-2004 05:17 PM

Corrupted Hard Drive

I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows XP. It
does show as a disk drive but Windows XP tells me its unformatted and wants
to format it. I can however, using demo versions of disk recovery tools, see
all the data on the drive. The demo versions will not allow me to recover
the data.
Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to recover
this data. Thanks

Shane Matthews 08-22-2004 05:34 PM

Re: Corrupted Hard Drive

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:17:32 +0000 (UTC), "Zinzan"
<theno8@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows XP. It
>does show as a disk drive but Windows XP tells me its unformatted and wants
>to format it. I can however, using demo versions of disk recovery tools, see
>all the data on the drive. The demo versions will not allow me to recover
>the data.
>Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to recover
>this data. Thanks

Have a look at Knoppix if you have a CD burner. This site gives
details on how to recover data with it;

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

DC 08-22-2004 05:58 PM

Re: Corrupted Hard Drive

Zinzan wrote:
> I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows XP. It
> does show as a disk drive but Windows XP tells me its unformatted and wants
> to format it. I can however, using demo versions of disk recovery tools, see
> all the data on the drive. The demo versions will not allow me to recover
> the data.
> Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to recover
> this data. Thanks

Yes -- Knoppix! If you have a seperate burner, you can burn directly from
Knoppix.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Rescue Info:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqRescue
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...y/l-knopx.html

More Info:
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...PIX-FAQ-EN.txt
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixForNewbies
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/

There is this, also, but I've not tried it:
http://www.sysresccd.org/index.en.php

HTH

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Gabriele Neukam 08-22-2004 06:46 PM

Re: Corrupted Hard Drive

On that special day, Zinzan, (theno8@hotmail.com) said...

> Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to recover
> this data. Thanks

Testdisk might be the thing you need

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

When I posted this four days ago in a German newsgroup, a poster
complained that he should have known earlier of that program, so that he
would have had less hassle, when he had to recover something with cat
and dd.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

--
Ah, Information. A good, too valuable these days, to give it away, just
so, at no cost.

dadiOH 08-22-2004 09:18 PM

Re: Corrupted Hard Drive

Zinzan wrote:
> I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows
> XP. It does show as a disk drive but Windows XP tells me its
> unformatted and wants to format it. I can however, using demo
> versions of disk recovery tools, see all the data on the drive. The
> demo versions will not allow me to recover the data.
> Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to
> recover this data. Thanks

Check out Drive Rescue
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/driverescue19d.html

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Ben A Gozar 08-23-2004 03:15 AM

Re: Corrupted Hard Drive

"Zinzan" <theno8@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows XP.
> It does show as a disk drive but Windows XP...

If you have another hd you can install linux and recover most of your data
files, or as first reply saidd, Knoppix from a cd.

Virus program won't help?

David Hemingsley 09-16-2004 03:11 AM

Re: Corrupted Hard Drive

try going to www.iolo.com and downloading system mechanic proffessional if
you can get to another computer then burn it to a CD and use the
drivescrubber utility this should ressolve it for you