Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on web??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t20633-does-net-provide-any-mechanism-to-replace-activex-controls-on-web.html)

Muhammad Shuaib Anjum 08-12-2004 05:28 AM

Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on web???

Hi,

Is there any mechanism in .NET Framework which can help me to replace
activex controls on my web page??

As activex controls need to be downloaded on the client machine, and
my clients are not interested in downloading any such binaries to
their machines for a bunch of reasons, including the consumption of
bandwidth as a strong one.

Like, by the virtue of .NET framework, can I acheive the functionality
of a "Tree Control" on my web page, without using/downloading the
ActiveX Tree Control??

Looking forward ...

Regards,
Muhammad Shuaib

Hardip Wadhwa 08-12-2004 05:42 AM

Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on web???

Use the Server Tree Control provided by microsoft, which will convert the
control into Html and javascript code.

Check out this link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/us...webcontrol.asp

Hardip

news:bf25c235.0408112128.30915276@posting.google.c om...

Muhammad Shuaib Anjum 08-13-2004 05:23 AM

Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on web???

Hi Hardip,

Thanx for writing, but I qouted Tree Control just as example, thought
I was not aware of Web Controls before this, but infact I wanted to
know that on the helm of .NET framework can I enjoy the flexibility
provided by ActiveX Controls while programming, without using them?

Is Microsoft extending IE Web Controls package, so that developers may
have some more controls to play with, without bothering the bandwidth
consumption caused by downloading activex controls? Or if there exists
any abstraction of Web Controls, that a developer may inherit to
develop a custom web control (and not an ActiveX one) which plays a
ticker for news which are being updated on the timeout of a minute
from my web-server?? (and again this is just a example and not my
requirement :)

Looking forward ...
Muhammad Shuaib.