Velocity Reviews

-   -   Processor Fan making noise (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t206141-processor-fan-making-noise.html)

Lee Davison 08-16-2004 06:45 PM

Processor Fan making noise

Hi,
The fan which covers my processor (is it called the heatsink and fan?) is
making a lot of noise so I guess its on its way out. I have an AMD Athalon
2200XP. Can someone recommend a brand or a decent one to buy, I know this is
an important part of the PC, ive never bought / installed one before so I
dont want to go getting crappy goods unknowingly. Is it okay to get one of
those fan type arrangements that look good or are they a bit poor?
Any recommendations appreciated

Regards
Lee

--
"Okay Scotty, now beam down my clothes."
www.geocities.com/ldavison10

Unknown 08-16-2004 07:36 PM

Re: Processor Fan making noise

Best bet is to replace it with original equipment so that you're sure it has
the same specs. Example: Suppose a different model blows 10 cubic feet of air
less than the original?

Hamman 08-16-2004 07:44 PM

Re: Processor Fan making noise

"Lee Davison" <lee.j.davison@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> The fan which covers my processor (is it called the heatsink and fan?) is
> making a lot of noise so I guess its on its way out. I have an AMD Athalon
> 2200XP. Can someone recommend a brand or a decent one to buy, I know this

is
> an important part of the PC, ive never bought / installed one before so I
> dont want to go getting crappy goods unknowingly. Is it okay to get one of
> those fan type arrangements that look good or are they a bit poor?
> Any recommendations appreciated

2200+ is quite low in the ATHLON XP range, so you can go for pretty much
what you want.

I recommend www.overclockers.co.uk for this type of thing.

hamman

Russ 08-16-2004 07:50 PM

Re: Processor Fan making noise

Hi Lee
I've just replaced mine, I tried three different models before
settling on the recommendation of the lads at www.ccl.computers.com the
model they recommended was the Akasa AK821 I run mine on a Barton 2500 XP.
It supports your processor.

Regards
Lee