Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mozilla: Can I still keep IE and outlook? Or still vulnerable to viruses? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t206134-mozilla-can-i-still-keep-ie-and-outlook-or-still-vulnerable-to-viruses.html)

lbbss 08-16-2004 06:00 PM

Mozilla: Can I still keep IE and outlook? Or still vulnerable to viruses?

I wanted to switch to Mozilla. I would like to still keep my outlook,
IE, and outlook express. If I do that am I still vulnerable to security
problems in IE or only when I use it. Or do I need to totally uninstall
those programs? tx

°Mike° 08-16-2004 06:12 PM

Re: Mozilla: Can I still keep IE and outlook? Or still vulnerable to viruses?

You can't totally uninstall IE, and vulnerabilities are
only vulnerabilities when the software is being used.

One think I notice, is that your version of Outlook
Express is WAY out of date:

I suspect that your IE and possibly even operating
system is similarly 'unpatched'. You should visit Windows
Update and also install the cumulative patches for
IE and OE, then you should be safe from (known)
vulnerabilities.

Windows Update
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Cumulative updates:

Internet Explorer
July 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (867801)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS04-025.mspx

Outlook Express (1)
July 2004, Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-018.mspx

(1) will bring your OE up to version:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:00:43 -0400, in
<1092681068.982132@news.vaxxine.com>
lbbss scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

lbbss 08-16-2004 06:50 PM

Re: Mozilla: Can I still keep IE and outlook? Or still vulnerable to viruses?

I tried these download but could not find one for win 2k pro. The page
you listed has xp but not win 2k.
Microsoft web site very confusion, when trying to find something.
As far as I know I don't have servise pack 1 for ms outlook or ie 6.

°Mike° 08-16-2004 07:21 PM

Re: Mozilla: Can I still keep IE and outlook? Or still vulnerable to viruses?

It is there, on the page, in black and white:

"Affected Software:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Microsoft Windows 2000
Service Pack 3, Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4"

If you don't have Service Pack 1 for OE/IE then download
the correct package. Try reading the pages again.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:50:49 -0400, in
<1092684075.508028@news.vaxxine.com>
lbbss scrawled:

lbbss 08-16-2004 08:34 PM

Re: Mozilla: Can I still keep IE and outlook? Or still vulnerable to viruses?

I tried " Microsoft Outlook Express 6: Download the Update" but it gives me
a message that it is only for xp.

then I tried "Microsoft Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1: Download the
Update"
but It tells me that I don't have service pack 1 installed yet. So by
the looks of it, the only
way to get the update is by getting windows service packs. That the very
thing I did not
want to do.

°Mike° 08-16-2004 08:46 PM

Re: Mozilla: Can I still keep IE and outlook? Or still vulnerable to viruses?

And you are complaining about security vulnerabilities?
Sheesh!

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:34:19 -0400, in
<ON8Uc.4904$%m4.972539@read2.cgocable.net>
lbbss scrawled:

<snip>

Timothy Timbrook 08-16-2004 11:55 PM

"lbbss" <df@er454545.net> wrote in message news:<1092681068.982132@news.vaxxine.com>...
> I wanted to switch to Mozilla. I would like to still keep my outlook,
> IE, and outlook express. If I do that am I still vulnerable to security
> problems in IE or only when I use it. Or do I need to totally uninstall
> those programs? tx

They're not mutally exclusive. Mozilla wont care if you have IE. IE
shouldnt care you have Mozilla. Installing Mozilla doesnt make IE more
secure.

Personally, I dont use mozilla to be more secure. I just use mozilla
because I like mozilla more than IE (when I use windows). Mozilla has
a nice popup blocker built right in. Blocking popups in IE is alot
more work. (for me atleast)