Velocity Reviews

-   -   Procedure Entry Point not located (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t206038-procedure-entry-point-not-located.html)

rfdjr1@optonline.net 08-15-2004 05:55 AM

Procedure Entry Point not located

Lately, I'm getting this error box upon opening various applications:

Rundll32.exe Entrypoint not found
The procedure entry point _ could not be located in the dynamic link
library msvcrt.dll

It comes and goes with different applications, which I can start by
just acknowledging the error box, and the wording is sometimes
different as to what it's looking for. It's more of an annoyance right
now, but I don't want it turning into a major problem. Any ideas what
this is about and how to remedy it? I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1
Thanks.

Duane Arnold 08-15-2004 06:31 AM

Re: Procedure Entry Point not located

rfdjr1@optonline.net wrote in news:8futh0t6l30ilegchkpd7bf6eqobc2q43u@
4ax.com:

> Lately, I'm getting this error box upon opening various applications:
>
> Rundll32.exe Entrypoint not found
> The procedure entry point _ could not be located in the dynamic link
> library msvcrt.dll
>
> It comes and goes with different applications, which I can start by
> just acknowledging the error box, and the wording is sometimes
> different as to what it's looking for. It's more of an annoyance right
> now, but I don't want it turning into a major problem. Any ideas what
> this is about and how to remedy it? I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1
> Thanks.

The problem you're having is due to Rundll32.exe and other programs that
use msvcrt.dll cannot find a entry point into msvcrt.dll most likely some
program function that is not there in msvcrt.dll. This can occur if
msvcrt.dll was overlaid by some install process that installed a version
of msvcrt.dll that doesn't have the entry point. You maybe able to
correct the problem by finding an application install that had a version
of msvcrt.dll that was valid for the other programs and overlaid the
msvcrt.dll that is having issues.

Duane :)

Walter Mautner 08-15-2004 07:14 AM

rfdjr1@optonline.net wrote:

> Lately, I'm getting this error box upon opening various applications:
>
> Rundll32.exe Entrypoint not found
> The procedure entry point _ could not be located in the dynamic link
> library msvcrt.dll

Check the version of the msvcrt.dll that's the first in your system path.
Find all instances of msvcrt.dll in program folders and the windows path,
rename them to something you remember. You may have to start in safe mode
for the one that's active.
Finally use one of the others, probably the newest or highest version number
(properties will show) by putting it in the system path and renaming it
back.
Check your programs. If some old program won't run with that version, rename
that msvcrt in it's own program folder back also. Make sure the link with
which you call the program, has the folder set as it's "working folder".
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*your*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8pkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

rfdjr1@optonline.net 08-16-2004 02:38 AM

Re: Procedure Entry Point not located

Thanks. Where do I find the system path? I looked in the system.ini,
win.ini and boot.ini and don't see it.

rfdjr1@optonline.net 08-16-2004 02:55 AM

Re: Procedure Entry Point not located

I just did a search on my C drive and find fifteen instances of this
msvcrt.dll file, the most recent being 5/28/03. The problem started
about a month ago. Eleven of the files are in programs I installed
other than in Windows. The other four are in the Windows folders in:

C:\WINDOWS\System32
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusR untime...
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusR untime...
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS

The problem first appeared and appears mostly when launching AOL. (I
know, AOL stinks, but I keep it for my kids.) I just tried renaming
the file msvcrt.bak and launching AOL and got another message,
similar, but says

The procedure entry point _initterm| (a square) could not be located
in the dynamic library msvcrt.dll (a square) means there's actually
a little square in that space, which I don't know how to replicate
here..

So that's where it stands. As always, I appreciate any help. And
hopefully no flames for having AOL on my system. Thanks.

John Smith 08-16-2004 03:23 AM

Re: Procedure Entry Point not located

To access your path settings, use the following:

control panel ->
system ->
Advanced Tab of System Page
Environment Variables button.

This is where settings, such as the path variable are maintained. Other
that that, follow what the error message states. Check each file's
properties, one at a time, by right clicking them in their folder and
selecting "properties". At that point - make sure you know which one is the
newest. Make a note of where all the others were, and then move them to a
storage folder - preferrably with new descriptive names, so that you know
which came from where. Take the newest, make sure that its' folder is in
the 'path' variable, and reboot.

Hope this helps,

Fred.

Also - from read

Duane Arnold 08-16-2004 03:51 AM

> Thanks. Where do I find the system path? I looked in the system.ini,
> win.ini and boot.ini and don't see it.

That would be Windows/system32 and you may need to unregister the old dell
and register the new Dll using regsvr32. And by taking the Dll from another
directory, it may not fix the problem or lead to other problems, because
the one being used by the application where the Dll was found may not have
other functions that the one that is common in the Windows/system32
directory being used by many programs that was overlaid.

Good luck

Duane :)