Velocity Reviews

-   -   Heat (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t206005-heat.html)

Michael Hims 08-14-2004 02:32 PM

Heat

What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
at?

joevan 08-14-2004 02:45 PM

Re: Heat

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:32:25 GMT, "Michael Hims"
<fh012g7246@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
>at?

I would think it would depend on the system but here are mine at the
moment, more or less with low CPU usage currently.

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X

Temperatures
Motherboard 29 C (84 F)
CPU 43 C (109 F)
CPU Diode 58 C (136 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2596 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.78 V
CPU Aux 1.78 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 4.92 V
+12 V 12.29 V
-12 V -12.21 V
-5 V -4.62 V
joevan

DC 08-14-2004 03:05 PM

Win98 Spontaneous rebooting while idle (was: Heat)

joevan wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:32:25 GMT, "Michael Hims"
><fh012g7246@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
>>at?

> I would think it would depend on the system but here are mine at the
> moment, more or less with low CPU usage currently.

> [snip sensors data]

Joevan, a related question, if I may:

Preamble:

My brother has been having spontaneous reboot problems on his Win 98SE
system. I'd never had any first hand experience with this phenomenon,
but a quick Google search revealed that dust bunnies (along with bad RAM
and others) is often the root cause.

I sent my brother some tinyurls to my search results and he has cleaned
out his machine of the furry little creatures but the problems still
occur. Oddly, his computer tends to reboot while idle (he'll hear it
reboot while lying in bed) -- not while the CPU is under heavy load.

Question:

Do you know of a freeware that will monitor the mobo and other sensors
and log the poll data to a file, preferable one that could be charted,
that we could study to determine his system's hardware status at the
moment the reboots occur?

He is unable to swap out the ram to verify it ($tarving $tudent). Is
there a way to test it (again, freeware) using a software method?

Of course, any other possible remedies for this rebooting problem would
be welcome. To my knowledge, he's only tried cleaning the machine.

Some system specs:

Win98SE
Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
Asus P2-99 mobo
512 MB SDRAM

Thanks.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

ICee 08-14-2004 03:47 PM

Re: Win98 Spontaneous rebooting while idle (was: Heat)

DC wrote:

[snip]

> Question:
>
> Do you know of a freeware that will monitor the mobo and other sensors
> and log the poll data to a file, preferable one that could be charted,
> that we could study to determine his system's hardware status at the
> moment the reboots occur?

Motherboard Monitor:
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

> He is unable to swap out the ram to verify it ($tarving $tudent). Is
> there a way to test it (again, freeware) using a software method?

Memtest86:
http://www.memtest86.com/
DocMemory:
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
Beginners Guide: Diagnosing Bad Memory:

> Of course, any other possible remedies for this rebooting problem
> would be welcome. To my knowledge, he's only tried cleaning the
> machine.
>

> Some system specs:
>
> Win98SE
> Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
> Asus P2-99 mobo
> 512 MB SDRAM

Since it's an older system, it's possible the motherboard has bad
capacitors. Have him open the system and look for any signs of bad caps:
bulging and/or leaking, which will be a brownish colored substance on or
below the capacitor (leaking electrolyte). A picture of both problems
so he knows what to look for is here:
ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20...133%20caps.jpg

DC 08-14-2004 03:52 PM

ICee wrote:
> DC wrote:

> [snip]

>> Question:

>> Do you know of a freeware that will monitor the mobo and other sensors
>> and log the poll data to a file, preferable one that could be charted,
>> that we could study to determine his system's hardware status at the
>> moment the reboots occur?

> Motherboard Monitor:
> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

>> He is unable to swap out the ram to verify it ($tarving $tudent). Is
>> there a way to test it (again, freeware) using a software method?

> Memtest86:
> http://www.memtest86.com/
> DocMemory:
> http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
> Beginners Guide: Diagnosing Bad Memory:
> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1565

>> Of course, any other possible remedies for this rebooting problem
>> would be welcome. To my knowledge, he's only tried cleaning the
>> machine.

>> Some system specs:

>> Win98SE
>> Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
>> Asus P2-99 mobo
>> 512 MB SDRAM

> Since it's an older system, it's possible the motherboard has bad
> capacitors. Have him open the system and look for any signs of bad caps:
> bulging and/or leaking, which will be a brownish colored substance on or
> below the capacitor (leaking electrolyte). A picture of both problems
> so he knows what to look for is here:
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20...133%20caps.jpg

>> Thanks.

Thanks, ICee. I'll pass this on to him.

Much appreciated. }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

ICee 08-14-2004 03:54 PM

Re: Win98 Spontaneous rebooting while idle (was: Heat)

You're welcome. :)

Blinky the Shark 08-14-2004 07:17 PM

Re: Heat

Michael Hims wrote:

> What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
> at?

CPU's a 386, right? No? Well, then what the hell is it?

Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

Michael Hims 08-14-2004 11:05 PM

Re: Heat

AMD Athlon 2200 XP+ i think
news:slrnchsp9f.vso.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...

mhicaoidh 08-17-2004 02:48 PM

Re: Heat

Taking a moment's reflection, Michael Hims mused:

| What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
| at?

Well, it all depends on a couple of factors ... what brand and models of
all you are using, as well as the ambient room temperature they are being
used in. For overclocking, the general guideline is to have the CPU within
20C of the case temperature, and the case temperature to be within 5C of
the ambient room temperature. If you are not overclocking, you can relax
these numbers substantially. I wouldn't worry about the temperature of your
hard drive, unless your case temperature is also very high.