Velocity Reviews

-   -   wireless network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t205964-wireless-network.html)

Molecule 08-13-2004 05:37 PM

wireless network

Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are connected
to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a cat cable. I am
using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able to access ( using the
laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
Not very familiar with networking.
Thanks

Atreju 08-13-2004 05:51 PM

Re: wireless network

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:37:20 GMT, "Molecule" <never@home.cool> wrote:

>Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are connected
>to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a cat cable. I am
>using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able to access ( using the
>laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
>Not very familiar with networking.
>Thanks

Since you have XP Home, Remote Desktop is out of the question. You
could use Remote Assistance but it is a pain since you have to send an
"invitation." Look into buying a copy of Symantec pcAnywhere this will
allow you to remote control your computer from over the network.

---Atreju---

Molecule 08-13-2004 05:57 PM

Re: wireless network

"Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:37:20 GMT, "Molecule" <never@home.cool> wrote:
>
> >Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are

connected
> >to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a cat cable. I am
> >using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able to access ( using

the
> >laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
> >Not very familiar with networking.
> >Thanks
> >

> Since you have XP Home, Remote Desktop is out of the question. You
> could use Remote Assistance but it is a pain since you have to send an
> "invitation." Look into buying a copy of Symantec pcAnywhere this will
> allow you to remote control your computer from over the network.
>

> ---Atreju---

Would I need XP Professional ?
Thanks

D 08-13-2004 06:03 PM

Re: wireless network

yes it is possible and quite easy but not at all secure.

simply configure your router to offer DHCP to each of the computers and be
sure they are all on the same subnet (ie: 192.168.1.100 through to
192.168.1.102 all with the same subnet mask ie: 255.255.255.0).

then you can access shares, map network drives (right click my computer) or
access through remote control progrz (like the one built into XP or
pcanywhere or realVCN).

good luck,
news:k%6Tc.144223$a8.123861@fe2.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

Molecule 08-13-2004 06:05 PM

Re: wireless network

"D" <tuxisREMOVE@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> yes it is possible and quite easy but not at all secure.
>
> simply configure your router to offer DHCP to each of the computers and be
> sure they are all on the same subnet (ie: 192.168.1.100 through to
> 192.168.1.102 all with the same subnet mask ie: 255.255.255.0).
>
> then you can access shares, map network drives (right click my computer)

or
> access through remote control progrz (like the one built into XP or
> pcanywhere or realVCN).
>
> good luck,

Thanks, will try

D 08-13-2004 06:17 PM

Re: wireless network

winXP pro is far better than home however dont decide to buy it just for the
remote control. realVNC is quite good and free. pcanywhere is better than
both, more secure and more features.

also, keep in mind... if it is just file sharing you want then you dont need
remote control. just map network drives and do file sharing.

please tell us more specifically what it is you want to do in the end??

Molecule 08-13-2004 06:26 PM

Re: wireless network

> winXP pro is far better than home however dont decide to buy it just for

the
> remote control. realVNC is quite good and free. pcanywhere is better

than
> both, more secure and more features.
>
> also, keep in mind... if it is just file sharing you want then you dont

need
> remote control. just map network drives and do file sharing.
>
> please tell us more specifically what it is you want to do in the end??
>
> I just wanted to be able to "see" my desktop drive on my laptop so I can

get data from it and transfer it on my laptop drive.
Thanks

Duane Arnold 08-13-2004 10:10 PM

Re: wireless network

"Molecule" <never@home.cool> wrote in
news:k%6Tc.144223$a8.123861@fe2.news.blueyonder.co .uk:

> Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are
> connected to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a
> cat cable. I am using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able
> to access ( using the laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
> Not very familiar with networking.
> Thanks

This link tells you how to do it.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

The router is the gateway device that allows your machines to share
resources on the LAN.

You may have trouble if you have WEP or WAP enabled and it may not allow
the wired and wireless machines to access each other with the encryption
enabled. If that is the case, use NWlink instead of NetBeui. You should
uninstall NetBeui first.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d.../all/reskit/en
-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-
us/prch_cnn_lafg.asp

You should secure the wireless network.

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/hack.../aa072004b.htm

Duane :)

Atreju 08-13-2004 10:22 PM

Re: wireless network

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:57:14 GMT, "Molecule" <never@home.cool> wrote:

>"Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
>news:730qh0hfjpir9mq5c7287i03jmsgnf102p@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:37:20 GMT, "Molecule" <never@home.cool> wrote:
>>
>> >Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are

>connected
>> >to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a cat cable. I am
>> >using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able to access ( using

>the
>> >laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
>> >Not very familiar with networking.
>> >Thanks
>> >

>> Since you have XP Home, Remote Desktop is out of the question. You
>> could use Remote Assistance but it is a pain since you have to send an
>> "invitation." Look into buying a copy of Symantec pcAnywhere this will
>> allow you to remote control your computer from over the network.
>>

>> ---Atreju---

>Would I need XP Professional ?
>Thanks

Not for pcAnywhere.

---Atreju---

Atreju 08-13-2004 10:23 PM

Re: wireless network

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:26:32 GMT, "Molecule" <never@home.cool> wrote:

>"D" <tuxisREMOVE@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> winXP pro is far better than home however dont decide to buy it just for

>the
>> remote control. realVNC is quite good and free. pcanywhere is better

>than
>> both, more secure and more features.
>>
>> also, keep in mind... if it is just file sharing you want then you dont

>need
>> remote control. just map network drives and do file sharing.
>>
>> please tell us more specifically what it is you want to do in the end??
>>
>> I just wanted to be able to "see" my desktop drive on my laptop so I can

>get data from it and transfer it on my laptop drive.
>Thanks

If you only need data transfer then you don't need remote control at
all. Simply make both computers members of the same "Workgroup" and
share the directories you want, then access them over the network.

---Atreju---