Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dial up modem interferes with phone line? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t205738-dial-up-modem-interferes-with-phone-line.html)

Amy Christensen 08-10-2004 01:33 AM

Dial up modem interferes with phone line?

I've noticed some strange behavior since I got my computer back from the
shop. All I can figure out is that when I plug my 56K modem into the
wall it must send some signal that causes it to go off the hook. For a
few seconds I get a dial tone. Then I hear that "if you want to make a
call please hang up and try again" message. Then silence. Is this a
hardware issue?

Unk 08-10-2004 04:06 AM

Re: Dial up modem interferes with phone line?

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:33:24 GMT, Amy Christensen
<sistercat14-spam@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>I've noticed some strange behavior since I got my computer back from the
>shop. All I can figure out is that when I plug my 56K modem into the
>wall it must send some signal that causes it to go off the hook. For a
>few seconds I get a dial tone. Then I hear that "if you want to make a
>call please hang up and try again" message. Then silence. Is this a
>hardware issue?

Modem is shot.

Pennywise 08-10-2004 05:18 AM

Re: Dial up modem interferes with phone line?

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:33:24 GMT, Amy Christensen
<sistercat14-spam@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

|>I've noticed some strange behavior since I got my computer back from the
|>shop. All I can figure out is that when I plug my 56K modem into the
|>wall it must send some signal that causes it to go off the hook. For a
|>few seconds I get a dial tone. Then I hear that "if you want to make a
|>call please hang up and try again" message. Then silence. Is this a
|>hardware issue?

In your modem properties you have an area to put in an initialization
string when it starts up.

Put in ATZ and apply. This will reset your modem each time it's
started.

It's worth a shot.

Amy Christensen 08-12-2004 05:35 AM

Pennywise wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:33:24 GMT, Amy Christensen
> <sistercat14-spam@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> |>I've noticed some strange behavior since I got my computer back from the
> |>shop. All I can figure out is that when I plug my 56K modem into the
> |>wall it must send some signal that causes it to go off the hook. For a
> |>few seconds I get a dial tone. Then I hear that "if you want to make a
> |>call please hang up and try again" message. Then silence. Is this a
> |>hardware issue?
>
> In your modem properties you have an area to put in an initialization
> string when it starts up.
>
> Put in ATZ and apply. This will reset your modem each time it's
> started.
>
> It's worth a shot.

Nope, it's still misbehaving. I can wait awhile to fix it; I normally
use it only for its fax capabilities.

Thank you both for your help.