Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Linux/WinMe partition question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t205376-linux-winme-partition-question.html)

Ron 08-04-2004 11:35 PM

Linux/WinMe partition question
 
I plan on installing Mandrake Linux on my WinME machine and dual-boot. I
have done this before on an old machine w/only a physical C and D drive
w/Linux on the D drive w/no issues. My current machine is partitioned
thusly: C, E and F on the physical C drive and D on, well, the D drive. I
have dual-booted this machine before with every partition permutation I
could think of, but in Windows, the partitions are changed or disappear
altogether, i.e.. E becomes D, F becomes E, etc. or only my C partition is
visible in Win Explorer. My question is thus: I can live with the
'rearranged' partitions after installing Linux, say, on the D drive, but
what do I need do to access programs that have the shortcuts hosed in the
Start Menu? Do I need only modify the 'Target" and "Start In" properties to
be able to access/run Windows programs? For example, Microsoft FltSim was
F:\FS9. After partition changes, I modify the target properties to E:\FS9 to
reflect the changed drive hierarchy in windows. Will there possibly be
registry issues that might make this undertaking a major PITA?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wordy question,

Ron

--
http://webpages.charter.net/clickfam/Mondo.htm



DC 08-05-2004 12:48 AM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 
Ron wrote:
> I plan on installing Mandrake Linux on my WinME machine and dual-boot. I
> have done this before on an old machine w/only a physical C and D drive
> w/Linux on the D drive w/no issues. My current machine is partitioned
> thusly: C, E and F on the physical C drive and D on, well, the D drive. I
> have dual-booted this machine before with every partition permutation I
> could think of, but in Windows, the partitions are changed or disappear
> altogether, i.e.. E becomes D, F becomes E, etc. or only my C partition is
> visible in Win Explorer. My question is thus: I can live with the
> 'rearranged' partitions after installing Linux, say, on the D drive, but
> what do I need do to access programs that have the shortcuts hosed in the
> Start Menu? Do I need only modify the 'Target" and "Start In" properties to
> be able to access/run Windows programs? For example, Microsoft FltSim was
> F:\FS9. After partition changes, I modify the target properties to E:\FS9 to
> reflect the changed drive hierarchy in windows. Will there possibly be
> registry issues that might make this undertaking a major PITA?


> Thanks in advance and sorry for the wordy question,


Best place to ask this: alt.os.linux.mandrake[1]

[1] ...where you will be told, simply, that Mandrake will not touch your
Windows partitions unless you tell it to. It will not rearrange your
drive letters, since *there are no drive letters* in linux. Linux
doesn't give a damn what other partitions you have. It will not touch
your registry... blahblablah.

Just tell linux where to install itself and it will. Windows shouldn't
care, either, since it can't even see ext2fs partitions. Just be sure
that Windows is on the first/primary/active/bootable partition on your
system (which I would guess that it is).

But, LIS, ask in aolm.

Good luck.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

Ron 08-05-2004 01:38 AM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 

"DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:slrnch30uj.hk9.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID.. .
> Ron wrote:
> > I plan on installing Mandrake Linux on my WinME machine and dual-boot.

I
> > have done this before on an old machine w/only a physical C and D drive
> > w/Linux on the D drive w/no issues. My current machine is partitioned
> > thusly: C, E and F on the physical C drive and D on, well, the D drive.

I
> > have dual-booted this machine before with every partition permutation I
> > could think of, but in Windows, the partitions are changed or disappear
> > altogether, i.e.. E becomes D, F becomes E, etc. or only my C partition

is
> > visible in Win Explorer. My question is thus: I can live with the
> > 'rearranged' partitions after installing Linux, say, on the D drive, but
> > what do I need do to access programs that have the shortcuts hosed in

the
> > Start Menu? Do I need only modify the 'Target" and "Start In"

properties to
> > be able to access/run Windows programs? For example, Microsoft FltSim

was
> > F:\FS9. After partition changes, I modify the target properties to

E:\FS9 to
> > reflect the changed drive hierarchy in windows. Will there possibly be
> > registry issues that might make this undertaking a major PITA?

>
> > Thanks in advance and sorry for the wordy question,

>
> Best place to ask this: alt.os.linux.mandrake[1]
>
> [1] ...where you will be told, simply, that Mandrake will not touch your
> Windows partitions unless you tell it to. It will not rearrange your
> drive letters, since *there are no drive letters* in linux. Linux
> doesn't give a damn what other partitions you have. It will not touch
> your registry... blahblablah.
>
> Just tell linux where to install itself and it will. Windows shouldn't
> care, either, since it can't even see ext2fs partitions. Just be sure
> that Windows is on the first/primary/active/bootable partition on your
> system (which I would guess that it is).
>
> But, LIS, ask in aolm.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
>
> Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601


Thanks for the reply, and I agree that Linux does not rearrange the drive
letters, touch the registry, etc. The issues is not so much with Linux, but
with Windows. I have installed Red Hat, Debian, etc. and experienced the
same shift of drive designations in Windows due to my somewhat weird
partitioning. I, as mentioned, can live with the redesignation of drive
'letters' in Windows after installing Linux, but what do I need to do to
maintain functionality of Windows progs after the fact? Is simply changing
the path in the shortcut enough?

TIA,

Ron
--
http://webpages.charter.net/clickfam/Mondo.htm



DC 08-05-2004 01:59 AM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 
Ron wrote:

> "DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> news:slrnch30uj.hk9.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID.. .


[big snip]

> Thanks for the reply, and I agree that Linux does not rearrange the drive
> letters, touch the registry, etc. The issues is not so much with Linux, but
> with Windows. I have installed Red Hat, Debian, etc. and experienced the
> same shift of drive designations in Windows due to my somewhat weird


This is what I don't get. I have never heard of Windows shuffling drive
letters following a linux install. How, pray tell, do you manage this?

Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
possible -- I'm not sure)?

> partitioning. I, as mentioned, can live with the redesignation of drive


Define "weird partitioning". Seriously, I would like to learn from
this, too. Better yet, follow my original advice and post to aolm. Be
specific about this "weird partitioning" of which you speak. You'll get
the best help and advice there.

> 'letters' in Windows after installing Linux, but what do I need to do to
> maintain functionality of Windows progs after the fact? Is simply changing
> the path in the shortcut enough?


Not likely. If your drives get shuffled (how you manage this, I'd
*rilly* like to know), I'm certain that tons of registry pointers will
break.

The important issue, for you, is to find out what is obviously going
wrong with your linux installation technique. Obtain guidance from the
very helpful bunch in aolm and you should not need to address the drive
shuffle issue at all.

I'll follow along, over there. You've got me intrigued, now. }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

Ron 08-05-2004 10:25 AM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 

"DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:slrnch3541.inc.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID.. .
> Ron wrote:
>
> > "DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > news:slrnch30uj.hk9.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID.. .

>
> [big snip]
>
> > Thanks for the reply, and I agree that Linux does not rearrange the

drive
> > letters, touch the registry, etc. The issues is not so much with Linux,

but
> > with Windows. I have installed Red Hat, Debian, etc. and experienced

the
> > same shift of drive designations in Windows due to my somewhat weird

>
> This is what I don't get. I have never heard of Windows shuffling drive
> letters following a linux install. How, pray tell, do you manage this?
>
> Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
> possible -- I'm not sure)?
>
> > partitioning. I, as mentioned, can live with the redesignation of drive

>
> Define "weird partitioning". Seriously, I would like to learn from
> this, too. Better yet, follow my original advice and post to aolm. Be
> specific about this "weird partitioning" of which you speak. You'll get
> the best help and advice there.
>
> > 'letters' in Windows after installing Linux, but what do I need to do to
> > maintain functionality of Windows progs after the fact? Is simply

changing
> > the path in the shortcut enough?

>
> Not likely. If your drives get shuffled (how you manage this, I'd
> *rilly* like to know), I'm certain that tons of registry pointers will
> break.
>
> The important issue, for you, is to find out what is obviously going
> wrong with your linux installation technique. Obtain guidance from the
> very helpful bunch in aolm and you should not need to address the drive
> shuffle issue at all.
>
> I'll follow along, over there. You've got me intrigued, now. }:O)
>
> --
> DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
>
> Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601


Hi DC,

Yea, I did a similar post a few days ago on aolm and the solution was: "make
a small primary FAT partition on the 2nd physical drive before you donate
the rest to Linux." I have tried this before with the same result of drive
letter shuffling. I will, however, probably try installing Linux again this
weekend if I do not too many burdens on my time and will apprise the group
through this thread of my results.

Ron


--
http://webpages.charter.net/clickfam/Mondo.htm



Parko 08-05-2004 11:35 AM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:59:29 +0000, DC wrote:

> Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
> possible -- I'm not sure)?


There are Linux distros that will. Peanut is one that comes to mind...
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
Defenestrate Windows!
And now for something completely different...
http://www.parko-polishes.com/

DC 08-05-2004 01:26 PM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 
Parko wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:59:29 +0000, DC wrote:


>> Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
>> possible -- I'm not sure)?


> There are Linux distros that will. Peanut is one that comes to mind...


Thanks. I didn't know this was possible. Why someone would choose to
install it on an inferior filesystem like FAT is beyond me, though. }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

DC 08-05-2004 01:37 PM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 
Ron wrote:

> "DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> news:slrnch3541.inc.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID.. .
>> Ron wrote:


>> [big snip]


[...]

>> > 'letters' in Windows after installing Linux, but what do I need to do to
>> > maintain functionality of Windows progs after the fact? Is simply

> changing
>> > the path in the shortcut enough?


>> Not likely. If your drives get shuffled (how you manage this, I'd
>> *rilly* like to know), I'm certain that tons of registry pointers will
>> break.


>> The important issue, for you, is to find out what is obviously going
>> wrong with your linux installation technique. Obtain guidance from the
>> very helpful bunch in aolm and you should not need to address the drive
>> shuffle issue at all.



> Hi DC,


> Yea, I did a similar post a few days ago on aolm and the solution was: "make
> a small primary FAT partition on the 2nd physical drive before you donate
> the rest to Linux." I have tried this before with the same result of drive



Aha! There's the problem (I think) -- you are adding a FAT32 Partition.

You didn't include a message-id for your aolm post -- but I found it. I
don't quite follow the advice you received about adding a small FAT32
partition, though. }:O\

All I can say is that I had, until recently, a triple-boot system with
Win98SE, Win XP Home, and Mandrake Linux. I installed Linux on the end
of my second hard drive in ext3 partitions. I observed no Win drive
letter shuffling.

I'm sorry, that isn't much help.


> letter shuffling. I will, however, probably try installing Linux again this
> weekend if I do not too many burdens on my time and will apprise the group
> through this thread of my results.



Good luck with that.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

Parko 08-05-2004 01:47 PM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:26:19 +0000, DC wrote:

> Parko wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:59:29 +0000, DC wrote:

>
>>> Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
>>> possible -- I'm not sure)?

>
>> There are Linux distros that will. Peanut is one that comes to mind...

>
> Thanks. I didn't know this was possible. Why someone would choose to
> install it on an inferior filesystem like FAT is beyond me, though. }:O)


Easy file sharing I suppose. CoLinux is another one that will
install to a Windows partition. I've been using reiserFS for a while now
and find is superior to any other file system I've used.

http://ibiblio.org/peanut/HOWTO.TXT
http://www.colinux.org/

When I've got a weekend to spare I might take Colinux for a spin, just for
fun...Wheeeeeee

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
Defenestrate Windows!
And now for something completely different...
http://www.parko-polishes.com/

Ron 08-06-2004 10:57 AM

Re: Linux/WinMe partition question
 
"Parko" <looselips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.08.05.13.47.08.581113@hotmail.com...
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:26:19 +0000, DC wrote:
>
> > Parko wrote:
> >> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:59:29 +0000, DC wrote:

> >
> >>> Are you installing linux on *gasp* FAT32 partitions (if this is even
> >>> possible -- I'm not sure)?

> >
> >> There are Linux distros that will. Peanut is one that comes to mind...

> >
> > Thanks. I didn't know this was possible. Why someone would choose to
> > install it on an inferior filesystem like FAT is beyond me, though. }:O)

>
> Easy file sharing I suppose. CoLinux is another one that will
> install to a Windows partition. I've been using reiserFS for a while now
> and find is superior to any other file system I've used.
>
> http://ibiblio.org/peanut/HOWTO.TXT
> http://www.colinux.org/
>
> When I've got a weekend to spare I might take Colinux for a spin, just for
> fun...Wheeeeeee
>
> --
> Parko
> Registered Linux User #339345
> Defenestrate Windows!
> And now for something completely different...
> http://www.parko-polishes.com/


Well, I had some free time, so I resized my D partition on my D drive
w/Partition Commander to allow some free space for Linux. Installed 9.2(?)
and my partitions were rearranged, but the partition with my programs
remained the same, so no prob. there. I could not get XServer to run,
though, perhaps due to a new vid card that might not be supported. Did not
care to dig too deep at this time. However, just for fun, I removed 9.(X)
and, after installed 8.(X) and my partitions, other than C disappeared in
Win Explorer. I am downloading ML10 now. Will try it soon.

Regards,

Ron




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.