Velocity Reviews

-   -   how to create hard drive image (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t205146-how-to-create-hard-drive-image.html)

WCH 08-01-2004 11:55 AM

how to create hard drive image

I do regular backups of my data onto tape drives and have for years. It's
saved my butt more than once. But from what I read it seems like it be
easier to create "images" of my hard drives and restore from them? If so, a
few specific questions:

I've used image files before but I don't know how to MAKE one. Do I need to
spend the $70 on Drive Image or something similar, or are there cheaper
and/or better alternatives?

Do I *have* to put every file on the hard drive onto the image, or can I
have it skip certain folders?

If I create an image file, can I restore individual files from it or just
overwrite my whole hard drive?

If I create the image file on a networked hard drive, and if it's less than
4.7GB, can I then burn it onto a DVD-ROM and use it to restore using my old
Norton Ghost on a floppy disk after I boot to a DOS prompt?

TIA-WC

Michael-NC 08-01-2004 03:38 PM

Re: how to create hard drive image

"WCH" <whexeterDELETEthisPART@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks very much for your informative response. I looked up PowerQuest
> based on your recommendation and found it's been acquired by Symantec.
> That's OK by me, I suppose. But in reading about system requirements and
> such it said I have to install Microsoft's ".NET" protocols (or whatever

it
> is). Do I really have to do that? I don't know what it does, I just

don't
> trust much Microsoft stuff. I'll note that the version of PowerQuest
> DriveImage that's available on-line now is Version 7 -- earlier versions
> like the 2002 mentioned may not have required .NET.
>
> Should I be worried about installing ".NET" in order to run imaging
> software?

For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and using a MS
news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo concerned, learn
to use Linux.

BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.

WCH 08-01-2004 04:56 PM

"Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
news:x78Pc.227345$2o2.12326556@twister.southeast.r r.com...

> "WCH" <whexeterDELETEthisPART@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks very much for your informative response. I looked up PowerQuest
> > based on your recommendation and found it's been acquired by Symantec.
> > That's OK by me, I suppose. But in reading about system requirements

and
> > such it said I have to install Microsoft's ".NET" protocols (or whatever

> it
> > is). Do I really have to do that? I don't know what it does, I just

> don't
> > trust much Microsoft stuff. I'll note that the version of PowerQuest
> > DriveImage that's available on-line now is Version 7 -- earlier versions
> > like the 2002 mentioned may not have required .NET.
> >
> > Should I be worried about installing ".NET" in order to run imaging
> > software?

> For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and using a MS
> news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo concerned, learn
> to use Linux.
>
> BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.

I *do* use Linux on some machines, although I'm just learning the OS. I'm
not a knee-jerk Microsoft hater, but neither am I an admirer of the company.
My question, though, was about ".NET". Even if this was *not* written by
Microsoft I'd still try to find out what ".NET" is and what it does before I
installed it. Isn't that just prudent?

BTW, does Acronis require .net to work?

Parko 08-01-2004 09:38 PM

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:56:53 +0000, WCH wrote:

> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
> news:x78Pc.227345$2o2.12326556@twister.southeast.r r.com...
>>
>> "WCH" <whexeterDELETEthisPART@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks very much for your informative response. I looked up PowerQuest
>> > based on your recommendation and found it's been acquired by Symantec.
>> > That's OK by me, I suppose. But in reading about system requirements

> and
>> > such it said I have to install Microsoft's ".NET" protocols (or whatever

>> it
>> > is). Do I really have to do that? I don't know what it does, I just

>> don't
>> > trust much Microsoft stuff. I'll note that the version of PowerQuest
>> > DriveImage that's available on-line now is Version 7 -- earlier versions
>> > like the 2002 mentioned may not have required .NET.
>> >
>> > Should I be worried about installing ".NET" in order to run imaging
>> > software?

>> For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and using a MS
>> news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo concerned, learn
>> to use Linux.
>>
>> BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.
>>

> I *do* use Linux on some machines, although I'm just learning the OS. I'm
> not a knee-jerk Microsoft hater, but neither am I an admirer of the company.
> My question, though, was about ".NET". Even if this was *not* written by
> Microsoft I'd still try to find out what ".NET" is and what it does before I
> installed it. Isn't that just prudent?
>
> BTW, does Acronis require .net to work?

Well use partimage or mondo to create images of your Windows partitions if
you dual boot. If not DL Knoppix 3.4 and use that. New versions of all
three can write to NTFS with caveats, IIRC. PQ Drive Image 7 comes with DI
2002.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Michael-NC 08-01-2004 10:16 PM

> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
> news:x78Pc.227345$2o2.12326556@twister.southeast.r r.com...
> >
> > "WCH" <whexeterDELETEthisPART@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks very much for your informative response. I looked up

PowerQuest
> > > based on your recommendation and found it's been acquired by Symantec.
> > > That's OK by me, I suppose. But in reading about system requirements

> and
> > > such it said I have to install Microsoft's ".NET" protocols (or

whatever
> > it
> > > is). Do I really have to do that? I don't know what it does, I just

> > don't
> > > trust much Microsoft stuff. I'll note that the version of PowerQuest
> > > DriveImage that's available on-line now is Version 7 -- earlier

versions
> > > like the 2002 mentioned may not have required .NET.
> > >
> > > Should I be worried about installing ".NET" in order to run imaging
> > > software?

> > For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and using a

MS
> > news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo concerned,

learn
> > to use Linux.
> >
> > BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.
> >

> I *do* use Linux on some machines, although I'm just learning the OS. I'm
> not a knee-jerk Microsoft hater, but neither am I an admirer of the

company.
> My question, though, was about ".NET". Even if this was *not* written by
> Microsoft I'd still try to find out what ".NET" is and what it does before

> installed it. Isn't that just prudent?

Not really, you're already using MS ware as your operating system and
newsreader. Just install it, it's not evil. You may try www.google.com as
well.

> BTW, does Acronis require .net to work?

Don't believe so.

Duane Arnold 08-01-2004 10:41 PM

Re: how to create hard drive image

Well well if it's not Larry Linux Parko. Hey, it's $$ BOB Duane. I got all my
new computer equipment for M$ use only. I hope to be a never will be
*registered* Larry Linux user with the old machine soon.

Duane :)

Duane Arnold 08-01-2004 10:50 PM

news:LYdPc.184421$tH1.8343410@twister.southeast.rr .com:

> "WCH" <whexeterDELETEthisPART@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael-NC" <NoAddress@desolate.com> wrote in message
>> news:x78Pc.227345$2o2.12326556@twister.southeast.r r.com...
>> >
>> > "WCH" <whexeterDELETEthisPART@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> PowerQuest

>> and

> whatever
>> > it
>> > don't

> versions

>> > For Christ's sake, you're posting from a MS Windows machine and
>> > using a

> MS
>> > news reader and you spout that drivel??? If you're sooooo
>> > concerned,

> learn
>> > to use Linux.
>> >
>> > BTW, I use Acronis 7.0 and it's flawless.
>> >

>> I *do* use Linux on some machines, although I'm just learning the OS.
>> I'm not a knee-jerk Microsoft hater, but neither am I an admirer of
>> the

> company.
>> My question, though, was about ".NET". Even if this was *not*
>> written by Microsoft I'd still try to find out what ".NET" is and
>> what it does before

>> installed it. Isn't that just prudent?

> Not really, you're already using MS ware as your operating system and
> newsreader. Just install it, it's not evil. You may try www.google.com
> as well.

If a solution is managed code which uses the .Net Framework, then the
..Net Framework will be required.

Duane :)

Parko 08-02-2004 07:16 AM

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:41:05 +0000, Duane Arnold wrote:

> Well well if it's not Larry Linux Parko. Hey, it's $$ BOB Duane. I got all my
> new computer equipment for M$ use only. I hope to be a never will be
> *registered* Larry Linux user with the old machine soon.
>
> Duane :)

Warning! Warning! Unregistered, unactivated penguins proliferating!
Exterminate! Exterminate!
....but why waste a Linux OS on *old* hardware? Put em head to head on the
same box and see who wins. < Micro$oft Bob slinks off embarressed. > ;)

--
http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php

Himalayan sushie 08-02-2004 10:26 AM

Re: how to create hard drive image

Duane Arnold, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
wrote:

> Well well, I'll show you who the best ever-grinning retard is! Me!

Tell us something we don't know.

Duane Arnold 08-02-2004 10:29 AM

Re: how to create hard drive image

Parko <looselips@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:41:05 +0000, Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>> Well well if it's not Larry Linux Parko. Hey, it's $$ BOB Duane. I
>> got all my new computer equipment for M$ use only. I hope to be a
>> never will be *registered* Larry Linux user with the old machine
>> soon.
>>
>> Duane :)

> Warning! Warning! Unregistered, unactivated penguins proliferating!
> Exterminate! Exterminate!
> ...but why waste a Linux OS on *old* hardware? Put em head to head on
> the same box and see who wins. < Micro$oft Bob slinks off embarressed.
> > ;)

I am not about to duel boot **** with MS and Linux on the machine. Linux
is not my livelihood and therefore, I am not going to get into all of
that. It's not about the little BS people like you seem to be hung up on
about some ridiculous little boy's game between MS vs. Linux either.

Duane :)