Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can I use a web cam as cctv? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t204939-can-i-use-a-web-cam-as-cctv.html)

Helpneeded 07-29-2004 01:52 AM

Can I use a web cam as cctv?

As the subject line says.

Basically someone's been messing about with my car by my house, so I've been
thinking about purchasing a webcam to monitor it, I would have bought a
proper security system but I wanted a webcam any way for other use as well.

So is it possible to use a Web Cam for this purpose and if so could you
recommend a decent webcam, I'm looking to pay up to 90, by the way I live
in the UK if that makes a difference in products.

Regards

Slacker 07-29-2004 02:21 AM

Re: Can I use a web cam as cctv?

Helpneeded wrote:

> As the subject line says.
>
> Basically someone's been messing about with my car by my house, so I've been
> thinking about purchasing a webcam to monitor it, I would have bought a
> proper security system but I wanted a webcam any way for other use as well.
>
> So is it possible to use a Web Cam for this purpose and if so could you
> recommend a decent webcam, I'm looking to pay up to 90, by the way I live
> in the UK if that makes a difference in products.
>
> Regards

Why not just call her and apologize ;-)

--
Slacker

trout 07-29-2004 03:20 AM

Re: Can I use a web cam as cctv?

Helpneeded wrote:

> As the subject line says.
>
> Basically someone's been messing about with my car by my house, so
> I've been thinking about purchasing a webcam to monitor it, I would
> have bought a proper security system but I wanted a webcam any way
> for other use as well.
>
> So is it possible to use a Web Cam for this purpose and if so could
> you recommend a decent webcam, I'm looking to pay up to 90, by the
> way I live in the UK if that makes a difference in products.
>
> Regards

In short; the non-authoritative answer is 'yes'. But you'll have to
(short of an exact, definitive answer) go shopping.
You'll need to look at picture resolution (sharp enough to catch the
villain in the act, and use as evidence, I presume). Assuming that no
special circumstances pertain (the camera is not too far away, and the
area is well-lit), you shouldn't have to pay a lot for a decent
low/mid-range camera.
The careful shopping should look at the accompanying software. Are
you looking for continuous recording for long periods in your absence
(do you have enough space on your drive)? Or intermittent 'snapshots' at
an interval you can determine? Is there enough of a nagging problem that
you might be convinced of frilly extras such as motion-activation?
Just be sure that you know what requirements that you *need* to make
it worthwhile to you. The sum that you mentioned is enough for a
salesperson to *want* to give you the system you need. Compare, express
any doubts; ask questions. You should be able to get what you want from
a number of retail outlets. If you're not 'sold'; don't buy it. Go to
the next place.
--
"Better shop around."

ProfGene 07-29-2004 02:00 PM

Re: Can I use a web cam as cctv?

I don't now if they have a UK branch but there is a web based company that
you can find a site for called x10 which sells all sorts of systems for
computer monitoring even when you are not at home. They have cams that can
rotate via remote control and multi-cam systems within a reasonable price
range.

pcbutts1 07-30-2004 01:59 AM

Re: Can I use a web cam as cctv?

You can use it but you won't see anything at night. Click on my demo link
below, cameras 9-12 are day/nite cameras they are color during the day and
turn B&W at nite for better picture quality.

Not Me 07-30-2004 03:24 AM

Re: Can I use a web cam as cctv?

X10 was a bit time spammer and other nefarious tricks. I think their out of
busienss.

pcbutts1 07-31-2004 03:05 AM

Re: Can I use a web cam as cctv?

Correction, cameras 2,3,4 and 12.

news:PXhOc.2653$9Y6.1019@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net...

Helpneeded 07-31-2004 03:46 AM

Re: Can I use a web cam as cctv?

What camera are you using, is it a webcam?
news:S%DOc.3680$cK.3199@newsread2.news.pas.earthli nk.net...

http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

pcbutts1 07-31-2004 03:27 PM

Re: Can I use a web cam as cctv?

No those are not webcams, webcams will not work in that situation. Those
cameras are made by Hunt http://www.huntcctv.com/.