Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   something deleted my music files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t204912-something-deleted-my-music-files.html)

Bill 07-28-2004 04:30 PM

something deleted my music files
 
I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.

Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
empty.

Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
catch it?

Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
music back, is welcome.


ImhoTech 07-28-2004 04:40 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 

"Bill" <wx@mccac.com> wrote in message
news:10gfl56ki0oqg04@corp.supernews.com...
> I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
> been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>
> Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
> for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
> so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
> empty.
>
> Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
> catch it?
>
> Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
> music back, is welcome.
>


Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to display
hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms will set a
hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the same name except a
..vbs or .exe extension.



Bill 07-28-2004 06:30 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 


ImhoTech wrote:
> "Bill" <wx@mccac.com> wrote in message
> news:10gfl56ki0oqg04@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
>>been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>>
>>Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>>for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
>>so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
>>empty.
>>
>>Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
>>catch it?
>>
>>Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>>music back, is welcome.
>>

>
>
> Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to display
> hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms will set a
> hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the same name except a
> .vbs or .exe extension.
>
>


Nothing at all. I looked with Windows Explorer and I have my preferneces
set
to show all the details of the files. I have never downloaded music
from the net at all.
These were all from my own CDs..which I paid for..



Bill 07-28-2004 06:36 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 


ImhoTech wrote:

> "Bill" <wx@mccac.com> wrote in message
> news:10gfl56ki0oqg04@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
>>been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>>
>>Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>>for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
>>so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
>>empty.
>>
>>Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
>>catch it?
>>
>>Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>>music back, is welcome.
>>

>
>
> Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to display
> hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms will set a
> hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the same name except a
> .vbs or .exe extension.
>
>

I used Windows Explorer to look for the files...used the Search feature
to see if I could loacate them in another folder if they had been moved.
I have everything set to show me all the details about files.
I have never downloaded any music from the net.
I have checked my entire hard drive looking for any trace and can't find
one.
To make matters even worse, I never back up my music files since they
are compressed about as much as they would be on a backup disk...I
didn't want to waste so many disks when I did a backup. I usually just
worry about files I have created and system files being backed up.
Now it looks like I have to recopy all of those CDs or drop the whole thing.
I would really like to know the cause more than a solution.. I would
like to see both.

Thanks


Ingeborg 07-28-2004 07:08 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 
Bill <wx@mccac.com> wrote in news:10gfshbcu5orj32@corp.supernews.com:

>
>
> ImhoTech wrote:
>
>> "Bill" <wx@mccac.com> wrote in message
>> news:10gfl56ki0oqg04@corp.supernews.com...
>>
>>>I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them
>>>have been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player
>>>upgrades.
>>>
>>>Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>>>for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other
>>>players, so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder
>>>is totally empty.
>>>
>>>Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus
>>>scanner catch it?
>>>
>>>Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>>>music back, is welcome.
>>>

>>
>>
>> Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to
>> display hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms
>> will set a hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the
>> same name except a .vbs or .exe extension.
>>
>>

> I used Windows Explorer to look for the files...used the Search
> feature to see if I could loacate them in another folder if they had
> been moved. I have everything set to show me all the details about
> files. I have never downloaded any music from the net.
> I have checked my entire hard drive looking for any trace and can't
> find one.
> To make matters even worse, I never back up my music files since they
> are compressed about as much as they would be on a backup disk...I
> didn't want to waste so many disks when I did a backup. I usually
> just worry about files I have created and system files being backed
> up. Now it looks like I have to recopy all of those CDs or drop the
> whole thing. I would really like to know the cause more than a
> solution.. I would like to see both.
>
> Thanks
>


Look at the bright side. Now you've got 6000 MB more diskspace, right?
If not, the files still are somewhere.

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor 07-28-2004 07:41 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 
I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
28 Jul 2004 09:30:29 -0700, Bill <wx@mccac.com> screamed from behind
the mulberry bush:

>I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
>been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>
>Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
>so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
>empty.
>
>Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
>catch it?
>
>Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>music back, is welcome.


It was the RIAA, they were in your computer. Look out! They'll
probably sue you next!

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

Thorkild Dalsgaard 07-28-2004 07:44 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 
Bill wrote:
> I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them
> have been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player
> upgrades.



> how I can get my music back.


Do not use the PC more than absolutely nescessary
so that deleted files are not overwritten

So, on another PC, download
http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm
REST2514.EXE 193 KB

Put the program on a floppy or USB memorystick, and run the program from
there:

Restoration
Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin by mistake.
[OS] Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows Me Windows NT Windows 2000
Windows XP
Freeware

regards
Thorkild Dalsgaard



HelinaHandbasket 07-28-2004 10:28 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 
Bill wrote:

> I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
> been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>
> Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
> for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
> so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
> empty.
>
> Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
> catch it?
>
> Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
> music back, is welcome.


Windows Media Player *is* a virus. If you have downloaded the updates
for it, then you are borked. These updates have a clause in the User
Agreement about the Digital Millenium Copyright laws....and adds a
static noise to all music files, whether legal or not. I'm not sure
why Windows Media Player deletes them, but it has happened to a few
folks before, but mostly just the static in the playback. Good luck.

Have you searched for *.mp3 files?

Use Jet Audio. It is a much nicer program and a free basic player is
offered.

http://www.jetaudio.com/download/

LuckyGuy 07-28-2004 10:43 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 
Where the hell did you hear that crap?
I have reinstalled Windows 98 through XP on several machines and not
once has it affected the .mp3s

John

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:28:50 -0500, HelinaHandbasket
<HelinaHandbasket@Hot.Place.invalid> wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>
>> I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
>> been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>>
>> Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>> for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
>> so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
>> empty.
>>
>> Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
>> catch it?
>>
>> Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>> music back, is welcome.

>
>Windows Media Player *is* a virus. If you have downloaded the updates
>for it, then you are borked. These updates have a clause in the User
>Agreement about the Digital Millenium Copyright laws....and adds a
>static noise to all music files, whether legal or not. I'm not sure
>why Windows Media Player deletes them, but it has happened to a few
>folks before, but mostly just the static in the playback. Good luck.
>
>Have you searched for *.mp3 files?
>
>Use Jet Audio. It is a much nicer program and a free basic player is
>offered.
>
>http://www.jetaudio.com/download/



HelinaHandbasket 07-28-2004 11:21 PM

Re: something deleted my music files
 
You're the lucky one.

I didn't just _hear_ it, I've experienced it.

On *every* one of my friends and families computers, the *.mp3's played
with a static and sometimes they just disappeared.

LuckyGuy wrote:

> Where the hell did you hear that crap?
> I have reinstalled Windows 98 through XP on several machines and not
> once has it affected the .mp3s
>
> John


<snip>


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.