Velocity Reviews

-   -   Replacing a heatsink & fan for an Athlon 1700+ processor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t204898-replacing-a-heatsink-and-fan-for-an-athlon-1700-processor.html)

Bob 07-28-2004 12:49 PM

Replacing a heatsink & fan for an Athlon 1700+ processor

I'm about to do this for the first time (horribly noisy fan) and am
wondering whether there are any considerations I should bear in mind before
I start with this funky new silent sink/fan combo. I'm guessing that there
will either be some icky paste or one of those thermal sticky pads - does
the latter make the heatsink difficult to separate from the CPU?

TIA

Unknown 07-28-2004 02:29 PM

Re: Replacing a heatsink & fan for an Athlon 1700+ processor

Why don't you just replace the fan? Lots of luck changing the heatsink.

Russ 07-28-2004 02:40 PM

Re: Replacing a heatsink & fan for an Athlon 1700+ processor

On the Athlon website they advise against using thermal grease in
conjunction with a thermal pad but your always best to use a small amount to
secure a good connection with the heatsink, also you do realise that in
changing your heatsink you will invalidate the warrenty on your Athlon
Processor. But if it needs changing I advise you to choose an AKASA AK 821
has I have just changed my heatsink and tried four different coolers before
I found one that did the job as good as the original cooler.

Regards
Russ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Mike Porcelan 07-28-2004 03:24 PM

Re: Replacing a heatsink & fan for an Athlon 1700+ processor

No. That iky stuff is thermal compuend. It is messy, but not sticky. It
shouldn't affect removability.

Chops McCoy

ICee 07-28-2004 05:24 PM

Bob wrote:
> I'm about to do this for the first time (horribly noisy fan) and am
> wondering whether there are any considerations I should bear in mind
> before I start with this funky new silent sink/fan combo. I'm
> guessing that there will either be some icky paste or one of those
> thermal sticky pads - does the latter make the heatsink difficult to
> separate from the CPU?
>
> TIA

If it's the stock heatsink, there will most likely be a thermal pad on
it. The pad may make the heatsink sticky, so remove carefully. It may
be best to remove when the CPU is still warm. Thoroughly clean the
heatsink and CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. To clean the heatsink, you
may have to scrape the pad off; be careful not to scratch it.
Apply a thin coating of heatsink compound to the CPU die, then mount the
new heatsink.

Bob 07-28-2004 10:00 PM

Re: Replacing a heatsink & fan for an Athlon 1700+ processor

> > I'm about to do this for the first time (horribly noisy fan) and am
> > wondering whether there are any considerations I should bear in mind
> > before I start with this funky new silent sink/fan combo. I'm
> > guessing that there will either be some icky paste or one of those
> > thermal sticky pads - does the latter make the heatsink difficult to
> > separate from the CPU?
> >
> > TIA

> If it's the stock heatsink, there will most likely be a thermal pad on
> it. The pad may make the heatsink sticky, so remove carefully. It may
> be best to remove when the CPU is still warm. Thoroughly clean the
> heatsink and CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. To clean the heatsink, you
> may have to scrape the pad off; be careful not to scratch it.
> Apply a thin coating of heatsink compound to the CPU die, then mount the
> new heatsink.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions - in the end the heatsink came off
easily and the new one (a heatsink & fan combo) fitted on nicely with a
little paste.