Velocity Reviews

-   -   Router/ computer security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t204891-router-computer-security.html)

A Brit in Canada 07-28-2004 07:05 AM

Router/ computer security

1. I have a D-Link DI 704P router and on reconnecting it following a house
move, one of two orange LEDs, designated M2, is on continouously. The other
orange LED (M1), is flashing intermittantly, as it should. All the green
LEDs for WAN/LAN and additional computers/peripherals connections are
solid- again as they should be.
I am 99% certain that, before my house move, M2 did not flash at all.
Is this indicative of a problem? I've checked the D-Link website FAQ's
and no luck (I lost the manual). Their customer support line was too busy
for me to hold on.
My network functionality through the router is fine but I am
particularly concerned about the firewall. Is there anyway I can test for
this?

2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a week) and
the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this sufficient?
There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/ practicality
(although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six condoms instead
of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy, but it makes the
enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the wearer!).

What is the right balance?

Your views gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Andy.

A Brit in Canada 07-28-2004 07:13 AM

Re: Router/ computer security

A Brit in Canada <adamadamant@hotmail.com> wrote in

> 2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a
> week) and the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this
> sufficient? There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/
> practicality (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six
> condoms instead of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy,
> but it makes the enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the
> wearer!).
>
> What is the right balance?

Hmmmm.... I mean of course, computer security.... the number of condoms I
have already worked out for myself!

Andy.

Duane Arnold 07-28-2004 09:26 AM

Re: Router/ computer security

A Brit in Canada <adamadamant@hotmail.com> wrote in

> 1. I have a D-Link DI 704P router and on reconnecting it following a
> house move, one of two orange LEDs, designated M2, is on
> continouously. The other orange LED (M1), is flashing intermittantly,
> as it should. All the green LEDs for WAN/LAN and additional
> computers/peripherals connections are solid- again as they should be.
> I am 99% certain that, before my house move, M2 did not flash at
> all.
> Is this indicative of a problem? I've checked the D-Link website FAQ's
> and no luck (I lost the manual). Their customer support line was too
> busy for me to hold on.

> My network functionality through the router is fine but I am
> particularly concerned about the firewall. Is there anyway I can test
> for this?
>

> 2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a
> week) and the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this
> sufficient? There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/
> practicality (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six
> condoms instead of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy,
> but it makes the enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the
> wearer!).

What FW? The cheap NAT router for home use doesn't have a FW. At best, it
has NAT and maybe SPI and has FW like features but is not a true FW and
meets the specs in the link.

They are good enough for home usage but can be defeated, especially when
doing high risk things like port forwarding.

A router with a true FW or FW appliance will meet the specs in the link.

http://www.firewall-software.com/fir..._firewall.html

And one of those will start around $350 for a low-end one.

Duane :)

Duane Arnold 07-28-2004 11:06 AM

> A Brit in Canada <adamadamant@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> 2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a
>> week) and the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this
>> sufficient? There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/
>> practicality (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six
>> condoms instead of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy,
>> but it makes the enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the
>> wearer!).
>>
>> What is the right balance?
>>

> Hmmmm.... I mean of course, computer security.... the number of
> condoms I
> have already worked out for myself!

If the O/S is not secured, then nothing on the machine is secure. And the
litte AV, spyware and router are secondary to it. That's if you have an
O/S where security can be implemented.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

The buck stops at the O/S.

Duane :)

Rick Merrill 07-28-2004 01:52 PM

A Brit in Canada wrote:

> 1. I have a D-Link DI 704P router and on reconnecting it following a house
> move, one of two orange LEDs, designated M2, is on continouously. The other
> orange LED (M1), is flashing intermittantly, as it should. All the green
> LEDs for WAN/LAN and additional computers/peripherals connections are
> solid- again as they should be.
> I am 99% certain that, before my house move, M2 did not flash at all.
> Is this indicative of a problem?

I doubt it: M2 may indicate 100Mb (instead of 10Mb).

> I've checked the D-Link website FAQ's
> and no luck (I lost the manual).

Check with Google.

Your system seems well protected. - RM

trout 07-29-2004 02:17 AM

A Brit in Canada wrote:

> 1. I have a D-Link DI 704P router and on reconnecting it following a
> house move, one of two orange LEDs, designated M2, is on
> continouously. The other orange LED (M1), is flashing intermittantly,
> as it should. All the green LEDs for WAN/LAN and additional
> computers/peripherals connections are solid- again as they should be.
> I am 99% certain that, before my house move, M2 did not flash at
> all. Is this indicative of a problem? I've checked the D-Link website
> FAQ's
> and no luck (I lost the manual). Their customer support line was too
> busy for me to hold on.
> My network functionality through the router is fine but I am
> particularly concerned about the firewall. Is there anyway I can test
> for this?
>

> 2. I use Norton anti-virus, Ad-aware (both updated and run once a
> week) and the router(firewall), for my home network security. Is this
> sufficient? There is obviously a trade-off between security and time/
> practicality (although I've never tried it, I liken it to using six
> condoms instead
> of one. You eliminate the 0.01% chance of pregnancy, but it makes the
> enjoyment of sex impossible- at least for the wearer!).
>
> What is the right balance?
>
> Your views gratefully received.
>

> Many thanks,
> Andy.

I'd suggest one or two things. Make use of some of the free programs
that are frequently suggested in this newsgroup. There are a number of
decent, free (to install and update) anti-virus programs. While you
can't have more than one resident and active at once; it could be a good
idea to have a second A/V installed to check individual files and the
occasional system check. In a similar vein; there are easily a
half-dozen good sites to perform an on-line virus/ malware scan. Never
hurts to get a second opinion.
You could also consider a software firewall. Again; many basic
models are available for free; the most important consideration being
attempts to 'phone home' by sneakyware that has been inadvertently
installed. Once installed, and permissions set; this wouldn't be a great
impediment to easy surfing; and could be a valuable clue if an unknown
program suddenly requests net access.
As for Adaware; it is a great program. Make sure that you also have
all the available plug-ins. It's usually suggested, and I agree, that
Spybot S&D (Search and Destroy) can and should be run in conjunction.
It's another free program that covers much of the same territory as
AdAware; but can also scan other file-sets such as usage tracks, as well
as having a few other optional security settings: for example; locking
the home page and Internet Options settings, handling Flash permission,
et cetera.
Another 'must-have' freeware program is SpywareBlaster. This is a
program that will *prevent* known malware programs from being downloaded
to begin with. It also has a number of other security features that can
be customized by the user.
Finally, I also like to use a 'gatekeeper'-type program. My personal
favourite is WinPatrol (also free). It can keep track, in Real Time, of
programs added, or added to start-up, commands to change the Registry on
reboot, as well as a being a decent cookie-handler.
The programs that I've mentioned are, again, free. Once configured,
they either operate silently in the background (unless something Odd is
happening) or on demand, only. For me; it's all about knowing what's
going on. These are a good set of basics to that end. If you are
interested in any programs mentioned; they're easy to find with a
Google, or by searching the group (all have been mentioned frequently).
If you *do* have questions, or need links, I'd be happy to help with
specifics.
Anyhow that's my 1.25 cents worth (Cnd.).
--
"Signature power low. Replace batteri"