Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't reach Domain Name Server through Router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t204869-cant-reach-domain-name-server-through-router.html)

Jeff Wisnia 07-27-2004 09:32 PM

Can't reach Domain Name Server through Router

One of the four computers on our littl office Linksys wireless router
system can't seem to reach the domain name server(s) our ISP uses.

We're using a DSL connection through an ISP which gave us a fixed IP
address and three DNS server addresses. These are set into the router
and three of our four computers work just fine.

The fourth computer (Running WinME.) can't reach any internet locations
unless the URLs are entered in numeric form. It gets to numeric ones
fine, but not the "named" ones. I'm assuming there's something keeping
it from reaching through the router to the ISP's domain name server(s).

I've set the TCP/IP adaptor()s to "DNS Disabled", which is how they are
set in all the other three computers.

This sick puppy had been working fine until I started playing around
with sharing files between the four computers. I got the file sharing
working fine, but obviously I've screwed up something just out of my
sight which is causing this "DNS problem"

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Sonic 07-27-2004 09:58 PM

Re: Can't reach Domain Name Server through Router

Change the machine's dns to manual, and add one of the addresses the ISP
gave you.

Sonic 07-27-2004 11:34 PM

Re: Can't reach Domain Name Server through Router

Forgot to say to put the names / IP addresses of the other machines on your
network into the Hosts file so you can access them by machine name as well

Jeff Wisnia 07-28-2004 12:25 AM

Sonic wrote:

> Change the machine's dns to manual, and add one of the addresses the ISP
> gave you.

Thanks, but that was one of the first things I tried (in desperation),
and it didn't help.

I'm looking to get it back the way it used to be, and that was with the
TCP/IP adaptor set to "DNS Disabled".

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
public schools."

Blinky the Shark 07-28-2004 12:46 AM

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> Sonic wrote:

>> Change the machine's dns to manual, and add one of the addresses the ISP
>> gave you.

> Thanks, but that was one of the first things I tried (in desperation),
> and it didn't help.

Anything running on that machine that would block port 53?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

Jeff Wisnia 07-28-2004 01:37 AM

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Jeff Wisnia wrote:
>

>>Sonic wrote:

>>>Change the machine's dns to manual, and add one of the addresses the ISP
>>>gave you.

>>Thanks, but that was one of the first things I tried (in desperation),
>>and it didn't help.

> Anything running on that machine that would block port 53?

I have no idea, I don't think I added any new software since it had been
working fine before I set up a shared folder in that computer.

Can you teach me how to find whether there is anything blocking port 53?

Thanks,

Jeff

Blinky the Shark 07-28-2004 01:52 AM

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Jeff Wisnia wrote:

>>>Thanks, but that was one of the first things I tried (in desperation),
>>>and it didn't help.

>> Anything running on that machine that would block port 53?

> I have no idea, I don't think I added any new software since it had been
> working fine before I set up a shared folder in that computer.

> Can you teach me how to find whether there is anything blocking port 53?

Haven't done Windows in a while, Jeff -- other than generic advice about
looking for a firewall rule, I can't precisely aim you.

Jeff Wisnia 07-28-2004 08:01 PM

FIXED - Was-Can't reach Domain Name Server through Router

Turned out that when I set up the local network file sharing stuff I
didn't notice that I'd set it to "Let the other computers share this
computer's Internet connection".

Unsetting that "feature" let me get to the Domain Name Servers.

That's as far as I care to dig down on this one....

BTW, I couldn't do a DOS ping to a URL either, just to IP addresses,
same as with the browser(s).

Jeff